Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2017 1:39:18 PM EDT
I've been looking through the sticky thread on the popular recommendations.  Part of being so extensive though,  is the overwhelming research for each option.

I would like something in the $400-$600 range. I would like 12x or more on the upper end of the magnification.

This is destined for my 6.5 grendel ar build with an 18" barrel, so I would like something to accommodate shooting 800+ yards.  

I know my budget might be a little low, but I don't mind buying used,  or patiently waiting on sales.

From the reading I've done,  I like the Viper HS, or the PST line, but the Leupold mark ar seems like an equally viable option.

What would you choose?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:48:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#2]
What is your current scope lacking that you wish to upgrade? $400-600 is not much of an upgrade. 

If the one you have works, I would suggest waiting until you can up your budget at least a couple hundred dollars.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:06:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
What is your current scope lacking that you wish to upgrade? $400-600 is not much of an upgrade. 

If the one you have works, I would suggest waiting until you can up your budget at least a couple hundred dollars.
View Quote
This is helpful advice.  Without any range time on one of my choices,  I might be attributing inaccurate expectations to it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#4]
http://aaoptics.com/REFURBISHED--VIPER-PST-6-24X50-RIFLESCOPE_p_250.html

This one is in my budget ($500)

The 6-24x50 looks to be a solid step up in magnification. Vortex has a good reputation for clear glass, I'd expect this scope to fit that reputation....?

The max elevation adjustment is 65 moa, that seems to be pretty sufficient,  but I've never personally shot to the distances I hope to be in the near future.  Can anyone give me advice on this?

The 50mm objective lense would lend to good light gathering qualities at dawn/dusk, unless I'm misunderstanding.

This might be the scope I jump on,  if my suspicion is correct that this would in deed offer a better shooting experience to the distances I want to attempt,  versus my current 4-12x44.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:22:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#5]
Originally Posted By 
The max elevation adjustment is 65 moa, that seems to be pretty sufficient,  but I've never personally shot to the distances I hope to be in the near future.  Can anyone give me advice on this?
View Quote
That means you have 32.5moa of elevation +/- depending on where everything "points".

You may or may not have enough. What load will you shoot and what is the velocity?

The 50mm objective means that the exit pupil diameter will be larger than your 44mm at a given magnification.  This can appear to be brighter.

Your 44mm at 12x is going to have a 3.7mm exit pupil.

A 50mm at 12x is going to have a 4.2mm exit pupil. So with the 50mm at 12x, more light will cover the pupil of your eye making the image appear brighter.

Now both of them at 6x will probably look the same where the benefit of the large objective is concerned, at 6x the exit pupil of both scopes will be larger than the pupil of your eye.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:11:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know if you hunt or are familiar with the Meat Eater series, but they did a podcast episode with some guys from Vortex and adressed several common magnification questions, talked about actual benefits of objective size, and what people look for in a scope.

The podcast is free... you might want to check it out.  IIRC the guys agreed that around a 4-16x is their preferred do-all magnification.  After listening to the show my next hunting scope will be 3-12 or 4-16.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:13:32 PM EDT
[#7]
That means you have 32.5moa of elevation +/- depending on where everything "points".

You may or may not have enough. What load will you shoot and what is the velocity?

The 50mm objective means that the exit pupil diameter will be larger than your 44mm at a given magnification.  This can appear to be brighter.

A 50mm at 12x is going to have a 4.2mm exit pupil. So with the 50mm at 12x, more light will cover the pupil of your eye making the image appear brighter.

Now both of them at 6x will probably look the same where the benefit of the large objective is concerned, at 6x the exit pupil of both scopes will be larger than the pupil of your eye.
View Quote

I was going to post this.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:42:42 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote
I hope to be shooting 123gr out of an 18 inch barrel,  with velocity around 2430. If 123gr doesn't perform well,  I'll venture to either 120gr or 129.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:15:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Ammon:
I hope to be shooting 123gr out of an 18 inch barrel,  with velocity around 2430. If 123gr doesn't perform well,  I'll venture to either 120gr or 129.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ammon:

Well with that you will be lucky to be able to dial to 800yds. You will need about 30moa of elevation. I would recommend a 20moa mount.

If you already have a mount you can try it, zero at 100yds, then see how much elevation you have left. 

The image quality can be reduced at the extreme limits of a scope, it is best to not have the poorer image at the longest ranges. A 20moa mount, even if you don't technically need it, will keep you away from the extremes at long range.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Well with that you will be lucky to be able to dial to 800yds. You will need about 30moa of elevation. I would recommend a 20moa mount.

If you already have a mount you can try it, zero at 100yds, then see how much elevation you have left. 

The image quality can be reduced at the extreme limits of a scope, it is best to not have the poorer image at the longest ranges. A 20moa mount, even if you don't technically need it, will keep you away from the extremes at long range.
View Quote
This will be added to my list,  thank you
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I am also interested in the PST 6-24x50 SFP for my 18" 5.56 AR. I just can't decide if I'll be happy with SFP or not. I made some hits on a 12"x20" steel silhouette at 800 yards with a PST 1-4 and now I'm hooked
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:17:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd spend just a little more and get a Sightron SIII. I've been looking at something in this range and by most accounts you won't beat their glass for the price.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:32:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By The_Hammer:
I am also interested in the PST 6-24x50 SFP for my 18" 5.56 AR. I just can't decide if I'll be happy with SFP or not. I made some hits on a 12"x20" steel silhouette at 800 yards with a PST 1-4 and now I'm hooked
View Quote
I've got the 6-24x50 pst FFP on a creedmoor.  

You'll want a 20MOA mount.  A 100yds zero is possible with the mount, but you'll be at bottom of the adjustment range.

At longer ranges I tend to use the 20x magnification and at shorter distances (300yds) I'm somewhere in the 14-16x range.  It's nice to be able to use the ebr-2c article at any magnification.

I think FFP is worth the additional cost if you can swing it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:20:03 PM EDT
[#15]
The 4-16 HS-T will be light years better than the 4-12x44 Crossfire Ii.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top