Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2017 9:57:41 AM EDT
Just picked up a 6.5CM and my local range has berms out to 1250 yards. I need some glass for the rifle. I have a budget of ~$500 but really like the look of the Athlon Midas 4.5-27x.

A few questions:

1. Should I go ahead and get a 20 moa base (rifle comes with EGW aluminum 0 moa)?
2. Steel or aluminum for base and rings?
3. Variable or fixed? SWFA fixed 20x Super Sniper gets pretty damn good reviews for $299.
4. Any other scopes in that price range I should consider?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The high end Athlons are outstanding. The Athlon choices in your budget are feature heavy and hard to beat for the price though. There have been a few folks that didn't care for them, but I don't think any of them had major issues.

The only legitimate issue is some have mushy feeling turrets. This can be easily fixed by removing the heavy factory grease and applying a small amount of dielectric grease to the turret o-rings.

My only issue with my Cronus was the feeling of the turrets. Not up to Razor quality in terms of feel and sound. However, after replacing the lubricant, they are just as nice. Took a little working in but they are GTG now!

Also have a look at the Weaver tactical scopes. I've had good experience with them. Nice glass too.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Sightron SIII 6-24x50

You'll have to shop around, but you can find them at the upper limit of your price range. If LE/Mil, contact them direct. Not as feature rich as some other optics, but the glass can't be beat for the price. It's definitely better than the Midas, and the turrets are better as well. The downside will be the reticle options for mil/mil unless FFP (out of your price range unless used), or the moa2 in the SFP moa/moa model.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#4]
SWFA 3-15 FFP mil/mil can be found as a demo for $600.00.  That's how I got mine the demo was never mounted looked brand new.  
It's on my Rem 700 Magpul.  I only have 600 yard at the Gun Club to Shoot.
I have Seekins rings & 20moa base.  Couldn't be happier for the price.  I'm looking at the fixed 10 for my AR15.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 11:54:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DitchDr] [#5]
Take a look at the Nikon Black X1000 scopes.  I have no experience with them but I do have the older Nikon Tactical that the Black series replaced and it's a fantastic scope.  They have 90 MOA of elevation adjustment so you could keep your 0 MOA base and get to 1000 yards with no problem.  Right at your budget too.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 11:50:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I just had my hands on this scope yesterday at Cabellas. I was looking at the Sig Sauer that was almost 3 times the price and optically I couldnt tell the difference. The sig was a lot heavier but the Nikon was awesome for the $499 price tag
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 10:19:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Goostoff:
I just had my hands on this scope yesterday at Cabellas. I was looking at the Sig Sauer that was almost 3 times the price and optically I couldnt tell the difference. The sig was a lot heavier but the Nikon was awesome for the $499 price tag
View Quote
Looking through a scope tells you nearly nothing about the scope other than the lenses are see through.
I have 7 scopes that range from $50-2000, all setup properly and the same they all look similar. Every single one has a good clear image.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Lol.....there's a lot more to what makes a good scope than what you see looking through the glass inside a store.

Nikon does use decent glass for the price.  However, IMHO, they skimp on the rest of the scope and you can find better for the same price elsewhere.  The guts they use in their scopes just isn't as good as their competitors.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Goostoff:
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I would suggest the Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16 or 6-24 as well as the Nikon Blaxk X1000 in the same powers. As far as fixed vs variable goes, I much prefer variable power but that's me.  Either steel or aluminum rings from a quality manufacturer would be good to go. However I wouldn't suggest steel rings on an aluminum base but the other way is good to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top