Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2017 7:08:35 PM EDT
Looks like I just WON an RPR/6.5 Creedmore on Gunbroker. So next up is a scope. Shooting my 6.5 Grendel and my Savage .308 right now to 635yds out to the farm. I can stretch that out to 800 this next week or two with another bench. That's probably going to be the farthest I go, since I can shoot this anytime I want. I know, famous last words! Anyway, I was considering a Burris Veracity 5-25 with the SCR reticle. But I wondered how the Super Sniper 3-15 was working out. Good for 800 yards? I really don't think I should have to spend over $1K for only 800?. Actually I won't spend more than that on 800 or less. Any other suggestions? Thanks Greg
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:29:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one of the SFP models with the mil quad.  There is a crazy sale on them now for $399 with extras for that price it is truly a steal!  For bench shooting I love the SFP model because it has a floating center dot making a super fine aiming point.  Glasswise, I have two ss 5-20 hd's a leupold mark 4 4.5-14x50 and a vx3i 4.5-14x50 for comparison and the 3-15 lands between the mark 4 and the ss 5-20.  I bought the 3-15 not knowing what to expect and was pleasantly surprised, it has great clarity, sharpness and the color is true.  I must throw it out there, however impressed I was with the 3-15... the 5-20 is AMAZING!
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Use mine to 1100yds. 
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 12:05:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I shoot steel at 750 with my Grendel AR using the SWFA 3-15 no problem.  The new SFP version is an awesome deal at $400 dollars, and if you are doing stationary, supported target shooting at known ranges I don't think FFP is worth the extra money.

I can see the steel just fine at 1000 with it but I don't have a round that will stay supersonic out there through my 20" barrel at this elevation.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer FFP but if your on a budget it's a great option.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the sale is off now. I really don't feel the need for a FFP scope. If I'm shooting steel I'll probably always know the range. And with an RPR, I don't intend on taking it hunting....too heavy for walking. And honestly, if I have to range, I've got a nice little 1200 yd Leupold rangefinder that will most likely be faster than me trying to remember how to use a ranging reticle. I guess I'm looking for good glass, a reticle with plenty of stadia I can use for hold over for quicker shots, and a good amount of verticle adjustment so I can dial up my range for sitting there shooting steel all day.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't use the FFP for ranging, I like them for holds and calling shots for buddies.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I didn't explain that very well! I'm probably going to be using this just on steel/targets. So I probably won't be changing the power, using it only on the highest power setting the majority of the time. So the SFP should work just fine for what I want.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:11:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By coyotewillie:
I didn't explain that very well! I'm probably going to be using this just on steel/targets. So I probably won't be changing the power, using it only on the highest power setting the majority of the time. So the SFP should work just fine for what I want.
View Quote
So... Why not save a few clams and go with a fixed 16X?
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:10:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Reorx:
So... Why not save a few clams and go with a fixed 16X?
View Quote
I personally wouldn't want to be stuck at 16x mainly due to mirage but also for spotting shots.

Once or twice I have dialed down my 3.5-10x a bit.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:42:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I have my SWFA SS 3-15x42 FFP MOA mounted to my Aero Precision M5E1.  I got it on a christmas sale last year I think it was or some sale last year.  It was a great deal

The glass has impressed a few people. I haven't messed with any super expensive optics so this is the best I've had.  I will likely buy another one if I put together another precision build, such as my Rem 700 SPS Tac.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a 3-15x42 (FFP) and a 12x42 from SWFA and used to own a 10x42.  Glass is in the good-better range.  I don't think you'll have any problem shooting to 800 yards.  What has impressed me most with SWFA scopes is I've always had really good luck with their scopes tracking.  Most of the scopes I have owned that were below the $1000 retail did not track true, SWFA always being the exception.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top