Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2017 6:32:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Onlyaspike]
I just bought my first precision bolt rifle  ( Savage FCP-SR 6.5 CREEDMOOR ) and now I need to buy a scope and rings for it....I've been reading throght a bunch of threads on here trying to find out what everyone is using/recommending. ......and now I'm about as confused as when I started.....lol.  Ive seen alot of guys recommended the fixed power SWFA SS 10x....and I was about sold on it....but in my mind, I don't think 10x is all that powerful ( I've never really shot long distance. ...and Id like to stretch this gun out to 800yds)...So I thought of maybe a variable power 3-15 in the SWFA line...?? Ive read alot of good things about the Vortex Vipers also.....Are they better for the $...? What's everyone's experience on finding the right power scope ? And probably more importantly,  what reticle ( moa, mrad, mil) configuration should I be looking at and why?  What height rings do you guys think I'll need? Any help and/or suggestions are grealty appreciated! !! Thanks.....
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Who cares what everyone is using and recommending.  Next year it will be different anyway.

Define the features you want and intended use first.  

Then start looking at scopes that have these features, for your intended use.

Look for reviews on the models that fit, by qualified SMEs.  Not opinions.

If this is the first time you have bought a scope, educate yourself.  Look at some high end stuff, in the 2000+ price range, see what they have, ask questions.  

Be an informed consumer and you'll be happy with your purchase.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 8:44:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bobfig] [#2]
I am going to say that i have a swfa ss 3-15x sfp scope. Couldn't jump for the ffp version for $200 more but it i love it for what little i have shot with it so far. Seems to be built really rugged and love the corsair that it has. Have no regrets getting it.  mounts i am using are the medium tally mounts for my weatherby vanguard s2

I did look at the vortex scopes and they just didn't seem to have enough to persuade me. One thing that stuck out is that their viper hst turrets are MOE where as the recital could be MIL's. They also were a little more expensive.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bobfig:
I am going to say that i have a swfa ss 3-15x sfp scope. Couldn't jump for the ffp version for $200 more but it i love it for what little i have shot with it so far. Seems to be built really rugged and love the corsair that it has. Have no regrets getting it.  mounts i am using are the medium tally mounts for my weatherby vanguard s2

I did look at the vortex scopes and they just didn't seem to have enough to persuade me. One thing that stuck out is that their viper hst turrets are MOE where as the recital could be MIL's. They also were a little more expensive.
View Quote
Pony up the extra 200 and get a vortex PST. The ffps can be had for 700 now.

Gen 1s that is.

Just a suggestion
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:13:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bobfig] [#4]
Originally Posted By RafterMan:

Pony up the extra 200 and get a vortex PST. The ffps can be had for 700 now.

Gen 1s that is.

Just a suggestion
View Quote
same with the swfa ss 3-15x. i just didn't have the money to get it and I don't have a place to shoot farther than 200yds. also the sfp version came with the free sunshade and butler lens covers so i felt it was a better deal.   https://swfa.com/catalog/product/view/id/114921/
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:05:04 AM EDT
[#5]
A great cheap/beginner scope is an Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x
It's FFP
Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA
Great reticle
Turrets are a little mushy but accurate
Glass is pretty good
It's $400 with a lifetime warranty
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:18:00 AM EDT
[#6]
This review calls out the Leupold Mark AR 6-18x40 as the best buy in your price range.

Buyer's Guide
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 12:16:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#7]
<partially excerpted from my responses in another thread in this forum>

I really like the elegant simplicity of a fixed power optic with a simple mil scale reticle (with matching mrad turrets). In addition, because of their optical simplicity, their clarity is usually excellent, they are pretty tough,  their light transmission is good, their exit pupils are generous, and their costs aren't so bad either...  In my mind, if you are looking for a budget precision shooting optic in your price range, SWFA fixed power is the way to go, the only question is what magnification power!...  

SWFA fixed power optics come in 6x, 10x, 12x, 16x, & 20x although conventional wisdom seems to suggest that it is probably wise not to exceeding 16x.

The guys in LRSU have the 1,000 yard milk jug challenge and the 1 mile milk jug challenge where the objective is to hit a milk jug in 10 or less shots...  HERE, the shooter pops a milk jug at a mile (yeah, 1,760 yards!) (7th shot) using a .308 with a 12x SWFA scope!!!

In terms of reticles, I like a simple mil-scale reticle - nothing too complicated or buisy >>>
mildots (many)

mil GAP (USO)

mil Quad (SWFA)

, etc...  In terms of turrets, I think they should match your reticle so, for me, it is mil (mrad) turrets as well.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#8]
"https://swfa.com/catalog/product/view/id/114921/"

Wow, I didn't know they offered any SFP.  Is this relatively new?

Even so, great deal for the money if it has the same quality glass and mechanical sturdiness.

IMAO:  

Don't get hung up on SFP or the magnification for your first scope.  My first hits at 1000 were with an even cheaper 10x SFP scope.  I wouldn't recommend that one (for various reasons) so won't identify it, but once you get to SWFA quality glass or better the 10x SFP is not going to hurt you much.

RE: SFP vs. FFP  Is this for casual target shooting at the range with known distance targets?  If so, my experience is that I'm almost mosly prone or at the bench, shooting at the same target repeatedly, and always have my scope and max magnification, and I'm always dialing for elevation with windage holds relative to visual target size, rarely needing the reticle for hold-over or ranging.  SFP is fine for that.

If you're going to get into LRPS competitions or unknown distance ranging with the reticle and needed to calculate hold over or clicks using it, then FFP becomes more important.

If this is absolutely a cry-once, buy once, only scope for a lifetime with this rifle then the FFP SWFA 3-15 or 5-20, or better and more $$ are worth it.  

I've also seen the Burris XTR II models greatly discounted now, they look like a great deal.  A friend bought one, he loves it, and my experience shooting his rig with it was good.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok....I'm set on buying a SWFA....just not sure which one. ....Fixed Power 10 , Fixed Power 12 , ( both these scopes are $299) , or the 3-15X SFP for $500. I will be mainly shooting from 200-600 with the possibility of out to 1000 sometime in the future hopefully......Is the 10 or 12 fixed power scopes enough to shoot out to the longer distances?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 6:13:46 PM EDT
[#10]
from what i hear military snipers use fixed 10x to shoot out to 1000 yards
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:52:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a 10x super sniper with moa turrets and moa reticle . It is a pretty nice scope for the money I love how close I can focus obviously the glass isnt going to be as good as a high end optic from a quality manufacture but it is certainly usable . If I were to buy another I think I would poney up the extra 100.00 and get the side focus instead of the rear focus but either one will get the job done .
 the first super sniper scope I got had a metal shaving or something shake down into the reticle so I called swfa and talked to them . they were very helpful and exchanged the scope pretty fast considering it was right at christmas time .  they stand behind their product . I would buy the product again.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Well...I took the plunge tonight...bought the FFP 3-15x42.....decided to just go ahead and spend the extra $ for the FFP model.....thanks for all the help fellas.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:55:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Onlyaspike:
Well...I took the plunge tonight...bought the FFP 3-15x42.....decided to just go ahead and spend the extra $ for the FFP model.....thanks for all the help fellas.
View Quote
good choice, i am happy with my SFP one but would of been nice if i could of got the ffp just to have one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top