Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2017 8:16:01 PM EDT
So I have been combing the web looking for the best scope rings for my dream scope which I just ordered! Its a Schmidt and Bender PMII 5-25x56 ! So after long hours I came up with what I thought was the best Rings I have ever seen, sadly they are 30mm Only! Arg. So I am mounting it on a Surgeon 591R action and I would prefer an expert to tell me what size i need with scope caps and maybe with out. Again in my limited personal opinion, and yes we all have one(haha) I found these to be the most BEAST RINGS!. And I love how they don't have a giant nut on the side like a lot of other brands. So here was my thought process ok the Next best scope rings are Seekins Precision which is my back up plan if I don't find another option! I also saw the very good looking Burris XTR and the Griffin but the Griffin have limited height.
https://cdn3.volusion.com/zwlmq.eyhrp/v/vspfiles/photos/GAORION-5T.jpg
http://www.burrisoptics.com/sites/default/files/styles/product_detail_thumb_full_breakpoint/public/content/products/preview/angle/xtr-signatureringshigh_0.png?itok=MuWlefyC
https://surgeonrifles.com/files/2014/10/591Action-417x212.jpg

My Questions:
1. What is the minimum scope ring height with caps and/or with out?
2. What other companies would you recommend?

As Always,  
Thanks In Advance!
 Also I am not trying to flame any brand here either!
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:46:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know what those rings are, but Badger or Seekins is what you should seek.  

Badger has measurements on their site.  You are gonna need your rifle and scope to determine how high your rings need to be for the front bell to clear the barrel.  Too many variables to guess. 
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:04:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnsMyName] [#2]
I just went through this. Badger are nice, but I went Seekins to save some coin. The Spuhr mount is really freaking awesome, but big bucks and not rings. For my Scalpel action it was .92 without caps and .97 with.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:15:11 PM EDT
[#4]
THANK YOU! I got to measure that last one tomorrow!
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:16:44 PM EDT
[#5]
What you need to first figure out is what stock you will use.

If you are running a chassis system, you're probably want to go ahead and run 1.5" / AR height rings, because depending on the chassis, the lowest possible comb setting can put your eyes too high on the scope if you run as low as you can in terms of objective bell to rifle clearance.

If you are going to run a traditional style stock (e.g. Manners or McMillan), then you can get away with the lowest rings possible.

I used 1.0" tall Seekins rings with a Razor HD Gen II 4.5x27x56 (34mm tube) on a Remington 700P with plenty of clearance. But I switched to 1.5" Spuhr because it was still just a bit too low for my face in an ATAICS.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:23:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Reorx:
Scope Ring Height and Clearance Calculator
View Quote
DUDE Thank YOU!
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:26:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ocabj:
But I switched to 1.5" Spuhr because it was still just a bit too low for my face in an ATAICS.
View Quote
I know they are like 375 but what is the deal, why so much what is special about them? I really don't know I really am asking. I am not trying to be funny here. Please explain them to me.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:41:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#8]
Originally Posted By jmr1969x:
DUDE Thank YOU!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Reorx:
Scope Ring Height and Clearance Calculator
DUDE Thank YOU!
You're welcome!  Enjoy!  
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 11:24:43 PM EDT
[#9]

I know they are like 375 but what is the deal, why so much what is special about them? I really don't know I really am asking. I am not trying to be funny here. Please explain them to me.
View Quote
No reason. I could have bought Seekins 1.5" rings to replace my Seekins 1" rings, but I decided to get the Spuhr since I never owned one.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:01:31 AM EDT
[#10]
American rifle company rings... just mounted my PM II and love them
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:27:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#11]
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:24:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ocabj] [#12]
This is a 700P (factory barrel) with Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 in Seekins 1" tall rings on a Badger 20 MOA base.

As you can see, just enough clearance. But what you may not notice is that I had to remove the 10mm spacer for the comb just to get the cheekpiece to drop lower. Even with that setup, in certain situations on how high off the ground I shot in prone, this was becoming problematic for cheekweld.

Thus, I ended up going all the way up to a 1.5" tall Spuhr and was able to add the 10mm spacer back in and had the right amount of cheekweld for my own face such that I wasn't smashing my cheek into the comb just to get correct sight picture.

Definitely way more clearance over the barrel, but it's all about fitting the rifle to your body. Also, I only lost .2 (two-tenths) of a MIL in elevation with the half-inch increase on the height over bore. I have more than enough elevation on that scope.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top