Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2017 9:20:22 AM EDT
I've read all the bad rap these got when they came out concerning tracking issues. It seems in late 2016 they upgraded the turrets and corrected the issue. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, anyone have experience with these? I can't find one local to play with. I'm looking at the 3-15x50 version, but for <$200 more I can get 5-25x56. I'll be shooting to just over 1k yards so probably just go smaller unless there's a compelling reason to spend more. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By JohnsMyName:
I've read all the bad rap these got when they came out concerning tracking issues. It seems in late 2016 they upgraded the turrets and corrected the issue. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, anyone have experience with these? I can't find one local to play with. I'm looking at the 3-15x50 version, but for <$200 more I can get 5-25x56. I'll be shooting to just over 1k yards so probably just go smaller unless there's a compelling reason to spend more. Thoughts?
View Quote

I have a decent amount of time behind mine now. I have been very impressed so far.

Mine is the updated 5-25, and I have about 550 rounds through it now. Tracking is spot on, glass is great, turrets are awesome. I have really started to love the SCR reticle.  

I'm not sure if the 3-15x had as many issues as the 5-25. If I'm shooting 1200+ sometimes I'll go up to 20-22x weather permitting, but if you are staying around 1k I would think the 3-15 would work just fine.

The upgraded turrets on the 5-25 have the triangle logo, I'm not sure about the 3-15.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply 
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Iv been having a hell of a time deciding between with T5Xi and the Athlon Cronus. I contacted Steiner direct and they seemed confident all the bad turret scopes are no longer in circulation (new inventory). But I fear the T5Xi is just a rebranded XTR II? What are your thoughts?  

If not, I think the Steiner would be a solid option. The only negative I've heard is some CA unless you make finite adjustments with the side focus.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 12:00:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
Iv been having a hell of a time deciding between with T5Xi and the Athlon Cronus. I contacted Steiner direct and they seemed confident all the bad turret scopes are no longer in circulation (new inventory). But I fear the T5Xi is just a rebranded XTR II? What are your thoughts?  

If not, I think the Steiner would be a solid option. The only negative I've heard is some CA unless you make finite adjustments with the side focus.
View Quote
The glass seems quite a bit better then the XTR, my best friend has a gen 2 4-20 that we shoot side by side with the Steiner quite often. That is still only a subjective opinion from two people, so take that with a grain of salt.

The CA is noticeable, I won't disagree at all with that.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Mechanically, the XTR II is excellent. If there is one quibble, it is a tiny amount of reduced crispness in the first click of a series, due to backlash/tollerances, every other click is flawless and crisp and repeatable. The illumination system, the zero stop, etc. are all excellent. The problem with XTR II as stated, is the glass. It's got horrible CA, some of the worst I have seen, regardless of how cheap the scope was. You simply cannot get rid of the CA, have the retice in focus, have the target in focus, and have proper parallax, all at the same time. You can only do two. If Stiener got rid of the optical issues it would make for an excellent scope even if mechanically similar to the Burris XTR II.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I have used the T5 in 3-15 with SCR. Great glass. Had zero complaints
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:16:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I think I'm just gonna have to go find a Steiner to look though myself and see if the CA is that bothersome. I'm an MOA guy, not a MIL, so that's another reason I've been considering the Cronus.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm new to this stuff and am currently shooting an MOA, but thinking of going MIL. I know it's been beat to death, but any advice one way or the other?
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm new to this stuff and am currently shooting an MOA, but thinking of going MIL. I know it's been beat to death, but any advice one way or the other?
View Quote
When faced with the same choice, I went MIL. I'm a sciencey kind of guy and like (prefer) decimal systems.  Tid-Bit > a MIL (mrad or milliradian), in linear measurement, is equal to 1/1000 of the distance to the target...  so @ 1000 yards, a MIL is 1 yard; @ 1,000 meters, a MIL is 1 meter;  @ 1,000 miles, a MIL is 1 mile; etc...  
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Reorx:
When faced with the same choice, I went MIL. I'm a sciencey kind of guy and like (prefer) decimal systems.  Tid-Bit > a MIL (mrad or milliradian), in linear measurement, is equal to 1/1000 of the distance to the target...  so @ 1000 yards, a MIL is 1 yard; @ 1,000 meters, a MIL is 1 meter;  @ 1,000 miles, a MIL is 1 mile; etc...  
View Quote
Science... nice... 
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:36:22 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote
Should be a smooth transition if you only think in terms of mils and MOA. Leave the inches out of it and things get really easy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top