Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2017 4:01:27 PM EDT
I've used TPS rings and bases for years and they've been great. However, I'll be needing a 20moa base and medium rings for an upcoming R700 SA and can't seem to find TPS in stock anywhere. At least not the steel rings. Is this a sign of them going under? I can't imagine rings and bases for precision rifles are that high in demand.

Any other options for steel rings in 34mm, under $150? I don't mind getting the Nightforce XTreme rail for $115. But $190 for rings?

Or is OP just being a cheap ass and needs to get the NF or Badger rings?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 6:09:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#2]
Yes, I had problems with availability of med 30 mm steel rings from TPS...  ordered in Nov 2016 (backordered)...  5 months later, canceled the order and went with Leupold Mark 4 (high) (1.06") and was very happy with them.  The TPS rail that I was lucky enough to get (it was in stock) when I made the original order had 4 6-48 screws that were all the same length...  in my Rem 700 SA, the front screw hole is shorter than the other 3!...  some manufacturers (Badger) seem to understand this and provide appropriate screws (1 shorter)...  but not TPS.  When I called them about the issue, they were lost...  and suggested stupid/expensive solutions.  They did not have a short 6-48 anywhere.  I was left twisting in the wind.  Now this wasn't the world's biggest problem but I expected better customer service.  I ended up shortening the screw myself and I was lucky enough not to botch it completely.  When I mentioned the 5 month backorder on the rings that I wanted, I was told that the steel ones are less popular and that they are only made in short "runs"...  but fortunately, they were scheduled to run another batch soon.  In addition, it seems that Midway USA is their largest vendor and gets priority when it comes to orders and shipments...  so if you are stuck on TPS, watch Midway.  Midway seems to have 34 mm steel Leupold Mark 4 rings @ $150 here.  SWFA seems to have the steel 34mm "High" (1.10") Mark 4 rings for $142...  Their website is doing maintenance and isn't fully functional (when I am writing this) so I can't tell you more...  you will have to look later if you want to go that route...  

Best of luck with your project!

- r -
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:09:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess I've just always used steel on steel. I know the Seekins are aluminum and are high quality though. I'll check them out.

And I'm not sold on TPS, just had great luck with them in past and was going to try to stick with them.

Forgot about the MK4 rings. Only 2 sizes in 34mm. I guess the highs would probably work.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 6:23:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 6:45:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#5]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
I guess I've just always used steel on steel...   I'm like you, I don't like to mix metals (differing hardnesses and thermal coefficients of expansion)...  maybe it's just my OCD kicking in!!!

And I'm not sold on TPS, just had great luck with them in past and was going to try to stick with them. I wanted to like TPS as well but after talking to them on the phone, I'm done with them for steel hardware...  maybe I will re-try them some day if I change to aluminum mounting hardware...

Forgot about the MK4 rings. Only 2 sizes in 34mm. I guess the highs would probably work.
View Quote
Mark 4 @ SWFA - $142

The first listing is aluminum, the other 2 are steel...  heights listed are 1.1" for the "high" and 1.4" for the "super high"...  both are in stock.

Good luck with the project.  If you end up with the Mk4s, lemme know what you think...

- R -
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top