Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2017 12:21:06 AM EDT
I currently have an SWFA 12x optic which is working okay, but the glass is left wanting.  This is going on a T3X CTR in 6.5 creedmoor, and will be shot out to 1000 m.

I can get a PST II for a very good price with their mil/LEO discount but they are backordered for 4+ months.  Alternatively I can get a Bushnell Elite Tactical LRTSi 4.5-18x44 right now, but for $150 more.

The PST II has a bit more magnification but otherwise the optics appear to be very similar.  Does anyone have any experience with the Bushnell?  Would you wait for the PST II or get the Bushnell now?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:04:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: usar_ds] [#1]
i have a bushnell elite DMR G2 3.5-21x. 

glass is superb (Japanese), also an extremely rugged optic, no complaints.

no experience with Vortex new viper pst II line. i am not familiar with who is making glass for the new gen II line,  I would assume japan but am not certain, they also look very nice, and vortex is a very stand up company.

i dont think you can go wrong with the bushnell though. 
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:37:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:28:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Their mil/LEO discount site says 4-5 month backorder.  It could be that they are giving priority to shipping to distributors.  Or the backorder info is old data and they are shipping much sooner.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Vortex is still sourcing from the Philippines on the PST Gen II from what I understand ..... So with that said I would get the Bushnell .... Japan > Phillipines
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:55:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: usar_ds] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mcordell:
Vortex is still sourcing from the Philippines on the PST Gen II from what I understand ..... So with that said I would get the Bushnell .... Japan > Phillipines
View Quote
There seems to be some back and forth about if viper pst's have Japanese glass but assembled in the Philippines,  or if the glass is philipino but made vortex's proprietary specs (lense coating ect...). I have heard both said and suppossedly heard from vortex reps. Always been curious myself. for the price tag on the pst gen 2 I would hope its Japanese. 
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:57:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#6]
I would get the Bushnell and I have a Gen II Razor as well.

I actually have a 3-12x LRTSi on my CTR right now and really like it.

Japan > Philippines in all cases for me which is why I own 2 Gen II Razors and 2 Bushnell Elites as they are all made in Japan.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:26:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Sonoran_Tj:
Their mil/LEO discount site says 4-5 month backorder.  It could be that they are giving priority to shipping to distributors.  Or the backorder info is old data and they are shipping much sooner.
View Quote
Is it experticity?  I'm pretty sure it didn't have that on there a month ago, I think it was relatively recent.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:12:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BigSlick] [#8]
The Vortex Viper line is not in the same class as the Bushnell DMR and LRHS/LRTS.  As noted above Japan v Philippines.  Bushnell has held its own in PRS while the only use of the Viper you will see is production because they are cheap.  I've seen at least three vipers go tits up in the past year.  There are already a few reports of the new gen twos having issues.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:24:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By editedforsafety:

Is it experticity?  I'm pretty sure it didn't have that on there a month ago, I think it was relatively recent.
View Quote
Yes, Vortex only does their mil/LEO discount through promotive/experticity.

If you go to the Vortex store and click on the Viper PST II it'll have a little blurb in italics in the description that says their stock goes quickly and may take up to 3-5 months to deliver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top