Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2017 12:47:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BabaYaga22]
I'm looking at buying a Nikon prostaff 4-12x40 for my savage 12 lrp (6.5 creedmoor) I won't be shooting past 500 yards. Will this be enough scope for the job? Is this scope of good quality? I have read some great reviews on multiple websites.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I would move up to the Prostaff 5. It is a lot more scope for just a little more money. I have the 3.5-14x40 BDC on my Creedmoor and it is pretty damned nice for around $300. Very clear and the BDC is dead on.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Not been fully satisfied with Nikon optics in the last couple years but that's a qualified statement. Realizing this isn't necessarily relevant to Prostaff models: Nikon just isn't doing it like it used to. Among the Monarch 3's and 5's they're very good compared to many other scope brands but for the money there's just a lot better out there. One very important thing, their warranty fulfillment has been simply amazing. Sent in a pretty old target scope for repair (turrets wouldn't take adjustment) that was in the 400 dollar range when new and about a decade old. They sent back a brand new Monarch 3 with a street price over $600.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 11:20:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Prostaff 5 2.5-10x40 I hunted with for several deer seasons and I like it.  At dusk and dawn it's a little dark for me but I can still make out pigs and deer.  I also have a Prostaff 3-9x40 I put on my 6.8 AR.  It shot fine at first but the second of third time I went out and shot it I noticed the tube had a leak somewhere.  Was having fog or condensation form on the inside of the lense.

I need to send the Prostaff back and have it fixed.  The Prostaff 5 I have been happy with but for a little more money I would look at a Leupold VX-1 or VX-2.  I have a VX1 on my 204 and I have been very happy with it no complaints.  The Prostaff 5 for me has a little bit of a dark picture at low light hunting hours but still able to see with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top