Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2017 1:24:50 PM EDT
I'm still building my perfect rifle in my mind. Q's new Fix rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 3-18 HD AMG on top. I'm looking for a nice light hunting rifle, that's capable of precision steel shooting out to 1k yards.

I have a 1-6 razor gen 2 and I love it, and I know the Razor 3-18 would be a great optic for this role, but it's not quite considered lightweight. And since I'm a huge Vortex fan I'd rather not get a mk6 3-18. This is all quite a ways out so I figured if we can start convincing Vortex we need an AMG 3-18 now it might be done in a year or less.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Not saying it's impossible but generally: Higher zoom ratio=more complexity = more lenses = more weight.

I'm sure they can shave some weight off their Gen2 design by going to a 30mm tube and using simpler turrets but I don't think they will be able to get it down to what you want.

I know you like vortex but have you looked at the March 3-24 models? Very small and light considering their capabilities.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 2:22:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BoxofRox] [#3]
I've heard of March but never really looked into their options, that 3-24 is insane, that range is impressive. 2k is what I'd like to keep around, so that march is just a tad high I think. But I'm not deciding right now so we'll see. Good suggestion though, I'll keep them I mind.

About the PST Gen 2, I plan on getting that 3-15 for my Grendel if the reviews are good. The 1-6 is kind of iffy right now but I know the lpvo market is tough to please. I would like Razor gen 2 level glass for this rifle though so we'll see how the PST Gen 2 looks and go from there, I might even look into the 5-25 for this.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I would sell my 3-18x Gen II Razor for a 3-18x AMG in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:29:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jlficken:
I would sell my 3-18x Gen II Razor for a 3-18x AMG in a heartbeat.
View Quote
For anything but a true bench rifle, I thing the AMG would be more popular. Basically, put the Razor gen 2 on a diet and make it black.

I kind of think the leader for me right now is the PST gen 2, but I want really top notch glass so the Razor gen 2 is still very appealing. The whole Q rifle is less than 7lbs though and I plan on packing it many miles. Lightweight is the right weight for me.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#6]
is trying to find a Leopold VX6 3-18x44 an option? Mine weighs in at 19oz. I know there are better options, but I paid $900 for it on sale.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 1:46:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BoxofRox] [#7]
Originally Posted By AWDeity:
is trying to find a Leopold VX6 3-18x44 an option? Mine weighs in at 19oz. I know there are better options, but I paid $900 for it on sale.
View Quote
My buddy got one recently but hasn't bought a rifle to put it on, so I will definitely be trying that optic out before I dive in. I've never found an awesome reticle from Leupold like Vortex offers though. And mil/mil is a necessity too, and I really plan on shooting this at varying distances so an adjustable dial would be preferred. I have my own 1k yard range I haven't been putting it to use, so this will be the start of my journey into LR shooting. Having top notch glass will make it more enjoyable.

Eta: my posts kind of contradict each other, but this will be my do it all rifle, long range bench shooting and hunting rifle. So I need the best of both worlds, that shouldn't be too much to ask, right
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 9:26:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#9]
@VortexSam Anything new in the HD AMG line coming out this year?

Thoughts on something like this? I'm ready to have my hopes crushed by facts.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:33:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By VortexSam:
Nothing new this year, but we definitely want to expand the AMG lineup. We are currently building a new building which will allow us to expand our in house manufacturing. That is probably the biggest hold up for us right now. We should be moving sometime next year and then will be able to start focusing on bringing other new projects on line. Lots of cool stuff in the works behind the scenes though.
View Quote
Good to hear, I think that AMG is a home run. I'm making plans for a rifle just so I can justify one I like that you guys are doing more in house, that should pay off in the long run.

Since The Fix might not even come out this year in 6.5 I think I might do a 6.5-284 with a proof barrel and the HD AMG.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been asking them periodically to make exactly that. many of us in the metallic silhouette scene need the precision and clarity but can't deal with the weight of the razor 2's due to class rules. If they make an AMG in 3-18x we'd want a fine crosshair with 1/8MOA target dot reticle option for our use case. A milling reticle might work but it would have to be very very un-busy.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
I've been asking them periodically to make exactly that. many of us in the metallic silhouette scene need the precision and clarity but can't deal with the weight of the razor 2's due to class rules. If they make an AMG in 3-18x we'd want a fine crosshair with 1/8MOA target dot reticle option for our use case. A milling reticle might work but it would have to be very very un-busy.
View Quote
So the reticle that's currently in the HD AMG wouldn't work?
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 12:23:13 PM EDT
[#14]
The Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44 is an outstanding optic. Lightweight, excellent glass, excellent tracking. Not a big fan of the turret options but they're perfectly functional. The reticle selection for that line is second to none.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By BoxofRox:

So the reticle that's currently in the HD AMG wouldn't work?
View Quote
Nobody I've ever encountered in metallic silhouette shooting particularly would use a christmas tree style reticle. The most common by far is fine hair with target dot. I've used a regular mil-hash and mil-quad and mil-dot reticles and didn't find them super hard to deal with but they were distracting to the point that I've abandoned those for that use case entirely. In met.sil we shoot from 200-500 meters, standing, offhand, no jackets or gloves or any of that jazz under time pressure (30 seconds per shot). Timing of the shot is critical so it's best to not muddy the visual image.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:

Nobody I've ever encountered in metallic silhouette shooting particularly would use a christmas tree style reticle. The most common by far is fine hair with target dot. I've used a regular mil-hash and mil-quad and mil-dot reticles and didn't find them super hard to deal with but they were distracting to the point that I've abandoned those for that use case entirely. In met.sil we shoot from 200-500 meters, standing, offhand, no jackets or gloves or any of that jazz under time pressure (30 seconds per shot). Timing of the shot is critical so it's best to not muddy the visual image.
View Quote
I've never done that style shooting but it makes sense that you would want a clean and simple reticle. I guess the AMG was more of a long range precision directed optic for stable shooting situations. It does seem like a 3-18x AMG would be perfect for that style shooting though, just need a simple reticle.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 6:05:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AWDeity] [#17]
I hope you do. I went shooting with a friend yesterday and I think my new Razor AMG just sold itself to him.

ETA: I meant to quote VortexSam

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I hope you do. I went shooting with a friend yesterday and I think my new Razor AMG just sold itself to him.

ETA: I meant to quote VortexSam

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/85104/IMG-0986-205071.JPG
View Quote
The AMG is amazing, looked through one the other day, I wish I could find an mrad in stock.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
That Leupold is a hunting scope. Look at the features, knobs and reticles. Not a long range optic as the others mentioned. It should work fine for what it is but wouldn't be my choice for along range precision rifle.
View Quote
Totally random reply:

You are correct in that, but it does make a functional 2FP scope for a good price when it's on sale

I just saw Leupold now has a VX-6 HD line, with same scope using their TS-29X (now called Illuminated Impact 29 MOA ) and exposed turrets with a lock feature...for $2,200 MSRP
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:30:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Attachment Attached File
View Quote
What mount is that?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 5:04:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WarNerve] [#21]
ETA: That looks like a Geissele Super Precision Mount.

Amen brother. I can't tell you how many scopes I have bought and sold looking for the prefect hunting/precision scope. I would buy two right now!
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:17:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EzGoingKev] [#22]
Originally Posted By WarNerve:
View Quote
That is what it looks like to me too except it does not appear to be a cantilever mount.

AFAIK the only non cantilever mount they make is a their "Big Bertha" and that is not one of those.

It just might be the angle the pic was taken at.

I kind of laugh at the OP. They made a few hundred 4-24 about a year and half ago. Maybe someone should convince them to keep making existing product.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 5:05:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BoxofRox] [#23]
Been doing some thinking on this topic, and for the rifle I plan on using this scope on, I doubt I'll shoot any closer than 200yds, ever. Most will be 500 and up, so the 6-24x is probably the better choice anyways.

I know they're not even close, but I've been contemplating this optic or the PST Gen2 5-25. I love nice optics, but I'm unsure if the AMG is better for me than the PST and 2000+ rounds of handloaded ammo for the same price. It'll be going on The Fix from Q, so I'll get the rifle and see what I think the right choice is. I'm not an experienced long range guy, so this will be my first actual entrance into the long range world, I've built a 1000yd range in preparation.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:56:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AWDeity] [#24]
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:
That is what it looks like to me too except it does not appear to be a cantilever mount.

AFAIK the only non cantilever mount they make is a their "Big Bertha" and that is not one of those.

I kind of laugh at the OP. They made a few hundred 4-24 about a year and half ago. Maybe someone should convince them to keep making existing product.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:
Originally Posted By WarNerve:

It is the SR25 30mm 20moa mount. The offset on the front is almost nil, because of the extra length on the SR25/DPMS/AR10 uppers.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:47:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: an_hero] [#25]
Get a Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44. I own two. One of the best scopes on the market IMO.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:06:23 AM EDT
[#26]
I would be all over a 3-18x AMG or even a 3-12 or 3-15x. 

There is a massive lack of quality lower-magnification, lighter-weight full-featured scopes. The NF 2.5-10 (SFP), the Mk6 3-18, and that's about it. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top