Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2017 3:07:02 PM EDT
I've yet to look at one in person, but I found this scope new for $1650. What else is there that competes in the <$2000 range? I'm drawing a blank.

Steiner T5Xi 5-25x56
- SCR reticle
- Illuminated
- 34mm tube
- FFP
- Zero Stop

If the glass is good as most people say it is, then what is there with FFP and 56mm objective that would even compete in terms of price? It's made in USA too.

Better stop me, because I'm about to make a purchase I think.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#1]
For $2K you can usually find a used Vortex Gen 2 Razor 4.5-27 which IMO is the go to precision optic right now. If you are mil/leo you can order direct from Vortex for right around that price. The EBR-2C reticle in the Vortex has it all over the SCR. My buddy has the Steiner and I have the Vortex so I have used them side by side numerous times. I much prefer the Vortex. That said the Steiner has been a good optic so far.

The knock on the Vortex is its heavy. I shoot an AI with 26" barrel so it doesn't matter to me. My rifle is a pig anyway.

The best deal I see right now in scopes are the used Bushnell ERS and XRS. They are usually around $1200-$1300. I had an XRS and ERS for a few years and liked them a lot. The G2 is a great reticle. Burris XTR ii is a solid optic for about $1000. I think the 5-25 Gen 2 PST from Vortex is going to make waves in the sub $2K market but I haven't used one yet and don't know if they are shipping right now. If I was looking for an optic I would look into it though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 4:30:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: alpha0815] [#2]
Yeah I'm a huge Vortex fan. No doubt the Razor Gen II is the shit!

However, the PST Gen II is still 50mm objective. If I wasn't looking for 56mm bell, I would have already ordered the new PST.

If I buy used Razor, it's going to have to be damn near untouched. Not big on purchasing used.

But so far, my case for the Steiner still stands. Is the Razor G2 worth the extra $800?

Also, all the Bushnell Elite Tactical are 50mm from what I've seen.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 5:24:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: phlegm] [#3]
They look like nice scopes, the price is right, and their customer service seems to be good.   If yours doesn't have the tracking issues that were reported when they first came out, you should enjoy it.   
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#4]
The updated turrets have the Steiner Triangle logo on them. If you buy a new it should be the updated one.

Myou 5-25 is about a month old and I absolutely LOVE it. The only gripe I  can find with it is some Chromatic abboration (it doesn't bug me at all, but it's there). The glass is outstanding, the turrets are great and it tracks perfectly.

If you plan on really reaching out, go for at least 20 MOA mount. It only has 26 mils of vertical travel on the turret.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By phlegm:
They look like nice scopes, the price is right, and their customer service seems to be good.   If yours doesn't have the tracking issues that were reported when they first came out, you should enjoy it.   
View Quote

Yep, I do see now that there were some tracking issues with early 2015 production. Looks like it's been worked out. I've heard of Vortex Razors with tracking issues as well. It's just something you have to check for yourself as soon after you first zero it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:27:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I purchased one recently. I paid significantly less than the price you listed. PM me for where I got it.

As for the scope itself:

Pros:
Resolution
Turrets
Tracking(updated turrets)

Cons:
Rough magnification and parallax controls
Chromatic aberration
Setting up diopter

I have a friend that just got a DMR2 and I'm hoping to compare them soon. When I did a side by side with an ERS the Steiner had significantly better resolution.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:
I purchased one recently. I paid significantly less than the price you listed. PM me for where I got it.

As for the scope itself:

Pros:
Resolution
Turrets
Tracking(updated turrets)

Cons:
Rough magnification and parallax controls
Chromatic aberration
Setting up diopter

I have a friend that just got a DMR2 and I'm hoping to compare them soon. When I did a side by side with an ERS the Steiner had significantly better resolution.
View Quote

If you do get a chance to compare them would you mind posting up your thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I contacted Steiner specifically asking them about the tracking issue. They said some, not all, of the first major production run of them had issues with turrets. They have since upgraded and are no longer having issues. They did say if an older batch scope gets purchased and has issues, they will replace.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top