Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2017 4:23:53 AM EDT
How do combat personel keep their rifle scope optics clean / dry etc?  Do they use flip up scope caps or scope over, if so which kind and brands?
I am mostly thinking  traditional rifle scopes, not really thinking ACOG type scope.
I am ok using BC flip caps and similar for hunting rifles but they don't seem to take any kind of abuse but are handy to keep optics clean and dry.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 4:29:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Only rifle I've seen where the scope covers survived was an M107.

Everything else gets broken or misplaced.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:43:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Tenebraex makes very good covers, more durable than BC but they're expensive.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 8:35:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By XeroSasEnchros:

Everything else gets broken or misplaced.
View Quote
This!

Most optics and sights do not get taken care of very well.  ( understatement )

Scout plt guys I saw made their own scope covers. These where the sniper section dudes.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 8:51:17 AM EDT
[#5]
usually painted butler creek covers and panty hose, with some random cardboard and duct tape thrown in
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:59:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Happy2shoot] [#6]
Originally Posted By Lgunsmoker:
How do combat personel keep their rifle scope optics clean / dry etc?
View Quote

Ha! The military is not a role model.

Every scoped rifle i saw in iraq had dusty glass and no covers. They got cleaned as needed with the inside of the tshirt you were wearing.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:35:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Fact.

We had Mk8's on our MK12 Mod 1's.

Not a single scope cap in sight.

We had a 120MM mortar ammo can that had probably a dozen MK8's in it in LT104's, just tossed in there
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Butler Creek caps when I had an M24. 100MPH tape to keep them on.  Some guys would cut a smallish rectangle out the front and never flip up the cap, kind of a soldier's/poor man's sunshade/anti-reflection fix. I don't remember any of our sniper rifles not having butler creeks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Happy2shoot:

Ha! The military is not a role model.

Every scoped rifle i saw in iraq had dusty glass and no covers. They got cleaned as needed with the inside of the tshirt you were wearing.
View Quote
This is how mine got cleaned.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 3:13:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Tenebrex or AADMount scope covers.

You can look at military equipment for a lot of things, scope covers ain't one of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top