Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2016 5:10:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SavageSlackie]
The Sig Tango 4 1-4x24 Illuminated 300BLK Horseshoe arrived at home today.  Here are my simple no BS observations.

The fiber optic on the dial is kind of nice to quickly identify the dial location and makes it easy to turn.  
Turning it is smooth, there are no audible or physical queues to let you know you have reached a certain magnification.  Not that you would need that on a 1-4 optic.

The turrets have fairly sharp positive clicks. The auto locking turret only seems to be on the windage dial on mine.  I believe both turrets are supposed to have the auto lock feature.  Got it working, had to adjust the zero stop.

There is a magnet in the battery cap which is kind of a nice touch, plus a space behind it to hold a spare battery.

The glass is super clear edge to edge but its not a true 1x, there is some magnification there, guessing about 1.25
The illumination is on full in these pictures.  As you can see its an overcast sleet/snow day.

Since the Tango 4 is first focal plane scope, the reticle becomes damn near impossible to pick out at the 1X, but is just fine at the 4X setting.
Even with the horse shoe illuminated on the brightest setting at 1x its still hard to see and I lose it in foliage.  If it was brighter it would work decent at 1x as a red dot.
Really wish this would have been a SFP with brighter illumination and the reticle sized 3/4 of what it is now at 4x.

Will have more feedback once I get out and use it.

If your interested in learning the exact details on this scope you can find them here.
https://www.sigsauer.com/store/tango4-1-4x24-mm.html

Link Posted: 12/4/2016 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow that's a very fine reticle at 1X. How's the eyebox?

Not to hijack but I'm sick of seeing uncapped, adjustable turrets on 1-4s.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:32:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SavageSlackie] [#2]
It is a fine reticle, but keep in mine these pictures were with a cell phone with a wide angle lens thats distorting perspective.
Honestly, I WISH I would have known that Vortex was coming out with a new line of PST scope.  I would have waited and bought one of those instead.

I agree on not needing to dial in shots with a 1-4 or 1-6 power scope so why have open turrets.
To its defense, these are locked at the zero stop.  In order to moved them you have to pull up and rotate.

They eye box seems fine, maybe a little small on the 4x end but its hard to compare since I don't have a different 1-4x.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Any updates or observations since you've had a little more time with the scope?
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Went out and sighted, or tried to sight in my new 300BLK pistol last weekend.
Ever leave the house and feel like you forgot something, well I forgot the tiny ass allen wrench to adjust the zero stop on the scope.
So yeah, there I was out standing in a frozen field at the farm 1.5 hours away from home with no way of adjusting the elevation past the zero stop.    On a side note I was able to get the irons sighted in for 100yds.

The furthest back I got from the target was with the scope was40 yards.  I like the horse shoe reticle for the little I used it, just not thrilled about it being on being on the 1st focal plane.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 2:31:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you feel like the reticle is useful at low power, or is it too small? And is the illumination sufficient? I prefer a FFP which is why I'm curious of this optic for my SBR, but I'm just not sure there's enough reticle to make this worthwhile. Thanks for your insight Savage.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 12:05:28 PM EDT
[#6]
The illumination is not daylight bright.
I will get back to you on the usability when I get more trigger time with it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:43:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SavageSlackie] [#7]
I ended up removing this Sig scope from my 300 Blk pistol. Because as much as I wanted to use it on there, it just wasn't a good fit.

To large and heavy, it off balanced the pistol.  The Sig scope was shifted over to the first AR I ever assembled.
SNS upper and lower receiver, a bunch of JP parts and White Oak Armament SPR barrel.

I used it yesterday to shoot out to 300yds and it performed flawlessly.  Even unmounted it and remounted it a few times to make sure POI was repeatable and it was every time.
Shooting my handloaded 69gr Matchkings and consistently hitting a 3-4"" groups at 300 yards with the setup was a good time.  That was the first time I've stretched the legs of this round and I'm happy with the results.
The scope tracked as expected when dialing range.  The obviously gotcha is that the BDC is for 300Blk so i'm going to have to create my own dope for it.
It stayed on 4x the entire time and was used that way from ~50yds out to 300yds.

On the correct pistol or rifle I think the scope is almost worth its price.
If they would switch the reticle to 2nd focal plane or redo the 1st focal plane reticle so its not so damn small at 1x, then have the illumination usable during daylight, it would be a great optic.
I get it, 1st focal plane allows a consistent hold over.  On a 1-4x scope i'm not sure that's really needed.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 12:15:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Why the hell are they making these LPVs FFP?! It seems pointless and actually a drawback. 

I have a 3.5-10x FFP scope and that is about useless as it almost never under 10x....and of course on low power the reticle is only useful as a cross hair.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top