Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2017 4:28:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 77Bronc]
My OBR in 762 has an A2 stock, remove the stock and there is a plastic spacer., this I know.

Now the A1 stocks, I assume these are the same shape as the A2, shorter and will work on an A2 buffer tube, except the spacer is not needed, correct?  

Where can I find an A1 stock?  

Next, at one time I had a very short A2 stock, real short, purchased it from a LGS, in the cheap bin.  I sold it and have never seen one since.  Does anyone know what that stock would have been called?

Link Posted: 7/3/2017 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By 77Bronc:
My OBR in 762 has an A2 stock, remove the stock and there is a plastic spacer., this I know.

Now the A1 stocks, I assume these are the same shape as the A2, shorter and will work on an A2 buffer tube, except the spacer is not needed, correct?
View Quote
There's no such thing as an "A2 buffer tube" - all rifles, original, A1, A2, A3, A4 all use the same receiver extension, the rifle receiver extension. The spacer and a longer buttstock screw is used on A2 and later stocks, while no spacer and the original short screw is used on earlier model stocks.

Look over the stock models at retroblackrifle.com and see what it is you're looking for.

EE or ebay or gunbroker are all good sources for retro stock parts.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:47:21 AM EDT
[#2]
The very short "A2" is probably a Rock River Arms Entry stock.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 3:51:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 77Bronc] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
The very short "A2" is probably a Rock River Arms Entry stock.
View Quote
Yes that was probably it, come to think about it, it was from a LGS that sold a lot of RRA lowers and parts.

Thanks,

Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Or a Sully Stock.  But it had kind of a curve to the bottom.  Where the Entry looks more like a shrunk down A2.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Colt made a very limited production run of short A2 stocks, meaning A1 length but made from the better modern A2 stock materials. They have an "S" impressed in the stock. I have looked for years and can't find one for sale.

I feel they're missing out on pent up market demand by not making more.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 8:18:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slapdaddy] [#6]
Colt CS marked A1 stock is the way to go, if you can find one.  Prepare to spend some money thought.  Last time I saw one on gun broker, I stopped bidding a little north of $100.  Forget what it fanally sold for, but it was enough to make me truly regret selling the one I once had.

Appearently they are collectors items now and priced accordingly.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#7]
An A2 stock can be shortened to A1 length.

It's not a lot but it makes a big difference to me.

I posted a thread a while back about shortening the A2. This method works well with a MP Miad grip, don't know if it would look as good with certain other grips.

Link: https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/A2_rifle_stock_shortened_to_A1_length__yes_it_s_possible/12-673229/?

Link Posted: 11/21/2017 4:55:01 AM EDT
[#8]
OlCrow,

This is great...excellent work, gives me something to do while watching football this Saturday.

Put a TV, finally, in my workshop, Ms77 sees me less these days :)
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 7:07:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By OlCrow:
An A2 stock can be shortened to A1 length.

It's not a lot but it makes a big difference to me.

I posted a thread a while back about shortening the A2. This method works well with a MP Miad grip, don't know if it would look as good with certain other grips.

Link: https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/A2_rifle_stock_shortened_to_A1_length__yes_it_s_possible/12-673229/?

http://4-riders.com/pics/AR/A2Stock011.jpg
View Quote
OlCrow,

Thanks for the pics....I went a different route...

I cut the butt end of the stock off, 9/16", with a hacksaw, took the butt end cap and cut the step off, and will JBWeld everything together.  The cut went right through the notch for the sling lop, but will JBWeld fill along with glueing the trap door, as I never used it.

Here is the pre glue steps

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Plan to paint once all is complete.  Will post pictures then

Link Posted: 11/22/2017 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By slapdaddy:
Colt CS marked A1 stock is the way to go, if you can find one.  Prepare to spend some money thought.  Last time I saw one on gun broker, I stopped bidding a little north of $100.  Forget what it fanally sold for, but it was enough to make me truly regret selling the one I once had.

Appearently they are collectors items now and priced accordingly.
View Quote
I found one and paid $50.00 for it.

Miami_JBT Humble Brag Thread
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
I found one and paid $50.00 for it.

https://i.imgur.com/SIWcjxr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pCCCOgr.jpg

Miami_JBT Humble Brag Thread
View Quote
I just glues the stock, will complete tomorrow after lunch....a lot of JBW, had to fill in some gaps.  Also fill in the sling slot.  Will need to sand down and paint.

If you find another one, let me know and I will send you the money.

Thanks,

Link Posted: 11/22/2017 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 10:22:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks Crow....

In case mine does not turn out as good as I thought...I was sitting on the sofa with the Ms, jumped up, to the shop and starting cutting:)

Link Posted: 11/22/2017 10:39:14 PM EDT
[#14]
You should be good, JB weld is strong shit.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#15]
All cut down, glued and ready for paint.  JBWeld to fill in the sling mount.  One down side, had to cut the door hinge off to make the trap door fit.  There is a gap on the butt plate.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Completed....

Filled the butt stock gap with the hinge I cut off the trap door.....final coat of paint.  Cured in my oven at 170F,  0000 steel wool and back on rifle.

Even though only removed 9/16", feels completely different.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/24/2017 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks like you got it.

And I agree it's a small amount but very noticeable.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 9:19:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MDStroup] [#18]
@77Bronc

This is probably the best current production A1 buttstock: A1 buttstock
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 9:33:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By MDStroup:
@77Bronc

This is probably the best current production A1 buttstock: A1 buttstock
View Quote
@MDStroup,

This looks real good, my mods came out good, but I just may buy this one.

Thanks,

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top