Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2017 6:11:36 PM EDT
I have been looking for a solution for a rear bag that I can adjust to get on target at the range.  I have used bean bags, folded up towels and other similar items.

I was at Home Depot this morning looking for a ball peen hammer and I spotted an Air Shim.  You pump it up, the bag inflates and gets thicker.  From the side when inflated it is actually wedge shaped.  There is a button to press near the pump to release air.  Each pump does not inflate the bag much so I can see very precise movements

My range is closed due to high water, but I can envisioning putting under the rear stock, pumping up to get on target for precision sighting in.

It will be worth a try....$14.  What do you think.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey, for $14 it's worth a shot.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I think why the hell were the airships near the hammers?    

Sounds like a plan if you can keep it from sliding around....    I long ago settled on a leather rabbit ear bag filled with #9 shot for load tuning.....  heavy to carry around, but it sure holds solid..... 
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:27:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By autococker07:
I think why the hell were the airships near the hammers?    

Sounds like a plan if you can keep it from sliding around....    I long ago settled on a leather rabbit ear bag filled with #9 shot for load tuning.....  heavy to carry around, but it sure holds solid..... 
View Quote
I thought about that and if it slips around will contact cement some Velcro on the bag and leather strips and install or remove as needed.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Try it, if it doesn't pan out for your original intent, then you could always moonlight providing a Pop-A-Lock service in your AO.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 7:49:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 77Bronc] [#6]
Originally Posted By charliedontsurf:
Try it, if it doesn't pan out for your original intent, then you could always moonlight providing a Pop-A-Lock service in your AO.
View Quote
Thumbs up Charlie.....

BTW,  when I make my chili, it has beans, the same as I use to make red beans...I work with some guys from Texas who lick their bowls clean when I serve them my chili.

Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I need one of those for when guys at work lock their keys in the car.  Seems to happen once every few weeks
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:51:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't like the idea.  It seems like an air-filled bladder would have too much "bounce" with recoil.  It just doesn't seem like it would be as stable as a traditional polybead/fill or sand fill.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, grab an old sock and an old pillow.  Rip the guts of the pillow, fill your sock, tie it off, and done.

The precision rifle "bag" business is fucking insane.  And when I say that, I am not denigrating the use of bags...I use the hell out of bags, it just looks really funny to me when guys come strolling up and they got a fucking tempurpedic, pillow, and a LaZboy cushion swinging from their pack.

A good friend of mine had Sarge's bags make him a custom bag, called it the BFB (Big Fucking Bag).  It is huge, but it is super handy.

The more bags that are developed, the more difficult COF's will become...pretty soon shooting off of moving vehicles at moving targets will become the norm.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:55:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Buy a Crosstac. It's under $25. It's not sexy but better than my Wiebad bags for accuracy. Even wedged in at an angle to get height correct it works great. Better than .25 MOA with a bipod and bag is a challenge though.

What are you using for the front? I have had best luck using a Larue Harris.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I made my own rear bag out of a old long sleeve shirt sleeve and 2$ in rice. It reminded me of home-ec in school, I still can't sew worth a shit. . The stitching ain't pretty, but it works great. Lighter than sand, cheaper than airsoft bb's. I don't shoot in the rain, so it's still good after 2 years. I will probably replace it in a rear or two.

The air bladder, while easy to adjust, seems like it would be to squishy, or as stated above bouncy. I don't have anywhere to shoot long range (over 300) within a 2 hr drive, but my simple bag works great out to 300yd berm. I need to take a drive one of these days to the place with the 1mile range to play around. I will probably try 600-800yds max though. 16" 5.56 is the best Ive got, and with my 75gr handloads I think they will start going trans sonic well before 1000.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Protektor rabbit or bunny eared bags.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:52:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I tried it this past weekend and it worked ok, but I am going to sew a taco with foam to put it in and try again.  

I had a Bulls Bag some time back, well made, awkward to us though.

The sleeve with rice or what ever is good too.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:36:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I can't see it working well. It would be springy and I really like to crush into my rear bag to control recoil and maintain my sight picture.  Maybe for a 22lr in free recoil it could work.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:58:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:45:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I made one out of an old pair of flight multicam pants. Cut the cargo pocket off and since it zippers filled it with small round pebbles. Works perfectly. Like 4 bucks for a bag of pebbles. Enough to make 2 bags with each bag of pebbles.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:12:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#17]
Originally Posted By divermedic68:
I made one out of an old pair of flight multicam pants. Cut the cargo pocket off and since it zippers filled it with small round pebbles. Works perfectly. Like 4 bucks for a bag of pebbles. Enough to make 2 bags with each bag of pebbles.
View Quote
I got thinking about this topic and got a couple of ideas...  I like the small round pebble idea...  Has anyone ever tried aquarium gravel as filler material?  Or what about untreated vibratory tumbler medium - corncob or walnut hulls???
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
The poly pellets will feel the same and are lighter than pebbles. The poly pellets mold very nicely when squeezed by the hand setting up a shot. They are what the majority of the commercial bags are filled with.
View Quote
I agree and the 1 bag I have made so far contains poly pellets that I got on Amazon.  I just thought that a lot of us who reload have vibratory tumbler medium lying around and it would seem suitable for the task.  Likewise, aquarium gravel is pretty common material to have lying around...  As I was typing this, I remembered that I might have some lying around...  I do/did...  I just made a softball sized rear bag using aquarium gravel, an old white sock, and 2 zip ties!...

Hmmm...  now I'm remembering that I have some sharp sand (builders sand) and a bunch of walnut tumbler medium in my garage...  here I go again...  I wonder which makes the best bag...  hmmm - could be fuel for a future thread...  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top