Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2017 11:17:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF]
To start off, I've never been a big believer in barrel "break in", but then again, the majority of my experience is with CL "rack grade" AR barrels when it comes to rifles.  I do have one other "precision" rifle in 5.56 with a 16" SS Rock Creek/Rainier barrel that I didn't do anything special "break in" wise, and it seems to shoot fine.

I guess I'm just wondering what your opinions are on Lilja's recommended method?  I'm honestly only considering it because of how expensive the damn barrel was, but if I don't have to spend 1-2 hours scrubbing the bore between shots, I'll be extremely happy.  

Here's the "break in" procedure pulled directly off Lilja's website (they also included a copy of it when they shipped the barrel to me):

Break-in Procedure

For an effective break-in the barrel should be cleaned after every shot for the first 10-12 rounds or until copper fouling stops. Our procedure is to push a cotton patch that is wet with solvent through the barrel. This will remove much of the powder fouling and wet the inside of the barrel with solvent. Next, wet a bronze brush (not a nylon brush) with solvent and stroke the barrel 5-10 times. Follow this by another wet patch and then one dry patch. Now soak the barrel with a strong copper removing solvent until all of the blue mess is removed from the barrel. The copper fouling will be heavy for a few rounds and then taper off quickly in just one or two shots. Once it has stopped or diminished significantly it is time to start shooting 5 shot groups, cleaning after each one. After 25-30 rounds clean at a normal interval of 10-25 rounds. Your barrel is now broken-in.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:19:42 AM EDT
[#1]
The problem is one can't do a good test. Every barrel shoots a hair different, and one can't really get a control group. Whether one breaks in a barrel or not, they'll now not know how it would have shot in the other condition. One could get identical barrels and break one in, and it could still be chalked up to every barrel shooting uniquely.

People far more knowledgeable than me, and that are big timers in the field, have made great arguments both for and against barrel cleaning. I've defaulted to just following manufacturer recommendations. It doesn't take too long, and it's one less 'what if' that gives me a little piece of mind. I have no idea if it does anything, and personally doubt it does anything substantial.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:50:47 AM EDT
[#2]
They want their barrel to perform as well as it possibly can... It is in their business interest. That is why they go to the trouble of tell you how to achieve the very best performance possible.

Follow the break in direction to get the best performance!
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:55:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I followed it and the damned barrel shoots lights out.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:17:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#4]
I have done a similar break-in with all(4 only)of my precision barrels. At 700-900 rounds I clean and there is very little copper they all shoot great, whether this has anything to do with the break-in, who knows.

I  have a bullet trap in my house so it is easy for me to do a break-in, if I had to do it at the range I would probably skip it. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:12:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I started off cleaning every 5 rounds or so per Rainier arms recommendation for my 16" .223 Wylde barrel. After realizing how annoying it was going to be to clean my rifle more than shoot it on my first trip out I stopped cleaning and went to shooting. Now that I'm hand loading for it with 77 OTM's it shoots better than I can most of the time. Last time out I shot a 1/4 inch 3 shot group at 100 yards. I don't know if I believe the cleaning helps or didn't but as was stated earlier I won't know one way or another due to every barrel being slightly different.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:56:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I figure if I were to spend that kind of money on a Lilja, and was looking to get the most of the barrel, I would follow their procedures.

Molon has shown that there is something to the barrel break in. Now, how much benefit it truly adds is something I can't quantify.

I will say I'm happy with both my Lothar Walther and Noveske barrels, and both manufacturers had a different take on this discussion.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:54:18 PM EDT
[#7]
What the break in primarily does on a Lilja barrel is polish the reamer marks out of the throat.  That is beneficial to reduce copper build up.  The bore is hand lapped already.

I did the recommended break in on my Lilja M4 Navy Recon and it is easily sub 1/2 MOA with Berger flat base target bullets in my handloads with virtually no copper build up.

Maybe it would shoot as well if I didn't do it.  But, it sure shoots well.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:10:18 AM EDT
[#8]
The throat will erode... copper and steel... eventually. The break in just smoothes the throat out sooner, so you get max accuracy and less copper fouling sooner. With a break in you do it, shoot 10 to 20 rounds to fully foul and you are at max accuracy. You could just shoot the gun for a while longer and end up in the same place with enough rounds. Once it is broken in... don't clean it till you have to. If you dont want to wait for max accuracy and consistency,  break in. If you dont care about max accuracy and minimised fouling taking a few hundred rounds to reach, don't break in.

Break in has no long term effect on barrel accuracy, only a short term one.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:46:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#9]
Well, I ended up doing a modified/speedy version of the break in.  

Cleaned for 5 shots after every shot.  Then fired another ten and cleaned again.

After that I said fuck it.  

I cleaned the bore after I got home and there wasn't much copper fouling (I fired a total of 80 rounds), so I guess my modified version worked pretty well.

The gun fired quite a few .5-.8 MOA 5 shot groups using factory Hornady ammo with my inexperienced butt behind the trigger using only a bipod and rear bag.  I'm pretty pleased.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 3:36:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Barrel break in can't be tested with a sample size of one or two.  To see if it is of value you would have a test sample of 60 identical barrels from one maker. Shoot 30 with no break in shoot 30 with the recommended break in.  Then compare the collective results of the barrel groups using the same loads.  Even this test is flawed because of variables but it could show something.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:52:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ErikS:
Barrel break in can't be tested with a sample size of one or two.  To see if it is of value you would have a test sample of 60 identical barrels from one maker. Shoot 30 with no break in shoot 30 with the recommended brreak in.  Then compare the collective results of the barrel groups using the same loads.  Even this test is flawed because of variables but it could show something.
View Quote
Or accept the collective experience of every seasoned ranked benchrest shooter and the custom barrel makers who supply their match barrels, including Lilja.

No need to test what is already field proven at the highest national benchrest level.  Those barrels have to shoot consistent "2"s or better, usually down in the "1"s to have any chance.  Dan Lilja and his son Carson know their shit. Dan is a past President of the National Benchrest Shooters Association.  He is not inclined to give false advice to his customers.  And those customers would soon call him out on any BS.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#12]
This is an interesting read on the topic.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gailmcmbreakin.html
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:16:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By robpiat:
This is an interesting read on the topic.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gailmcmbreakin.html
View Quote
Thanks for this and for relieving my guilt for not being OCD about barrel break-in. I was particularly interested in the comments on cleaning rod damage.

In my profession there are many sacred practices that when traced back to their origins were nothing more than someone's opinion.

And often when tested the lore turns out to be counterproductive.

You will get reamed for challenging this sacred cow.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 10:38:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Do what the manufacture recommends... Lija says yes, Hart says no, Etc.,.... Do what the Manufacturer wants in case an issue arises, you wont/shouldnt be held accountable if following their procedures.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 10:49:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ICU] [#15]
Originally Posted By Paul49:
You will get reamed for challenging this sacred cow.
View Quote
Thats funny
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Shoot then clean after every round for 3k rounds.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#17]
On a bolt gun I shoot one and clean for 5 shots or until the copper fouling is negligible then I try 5 shots. Some barrels break in after a few shots and then shoot very tight groups. I don't use bonded or pure copper bullets for break in with them fouling more than regular cup and core bullets. With a AR rifle I don't see any difference in break in.
Billy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top