Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2017 10:15:36 PM EDT
So I got a $250 off coupon to Columbia river arms from a 3 gun match.

How is their reputation?  Better for SUPER precision rifles or just good MOA ish guns?  Any way.  I have to decide what to do.

Option 1, augment my 223 3 gun rifle.  RIght now I have a JP lightweight pencil type upper.  Its a 1MOA tack driver from the bench, but weight wise it is tooo light for offhand shots.  I am about to build a weight to go in the end of the handguard its so flipping light.
OR I could just build a "slim" or "SPR" profile 18" rifle upper and pick uppers based on the course of fire.

Option 2. rebarrel my 3 gun AR10.  Same problem here, its too light.  I used a 2A arms pencil barrel and the gun balances way rearward.  Its a 1-2 moa barrel from the bench with good ammo, but cheap ammo is 4-6 moa. It also likes the Harvester on the end vs a simple muzzle brake.  I could just mount my YHM ULT on it for weight and deal with the effect of a 26" barrel/suppressor.
OR just get a "light" or "standard" profile 308 18" rifle barrel from BHW and rebarrel.  I don't know that I would gain enough accuracy to justify changing barrels though.  Should be accurate enough for long range hunting, but might be too heavy for 3 gun.

Option 3 - why I am asking here - just build a 6.5 creedmore upper for my AR10 from an enhanced M5 upper.  I could build a 20" standard profile and hunt with it, then look up a precision rifle match and learn a new discipline.  Of course, then I would be wanting a 24" barrel instead.  Is BHW / Columbia River Arms a worthy barrel for a 800 yard precision build or would that be a better job for higher end barrel makers or bolt guns?
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 8:01:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I really like their AR10 barrels. I have not not played with their 5.56. The couple of  .264lbc barrels were good to go both holding moa or less with factory loads.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#2]
CRA/BHW make excellent barrels, and I'd go with option #3.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 2:27:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Potss:
CRA/BHW make excellent barrels, and I'd go with option #3.
View Quote
Roger. 6.5 creedmore. Will a fluted  light / hbar 20 inch be accurate or should i go 24 inch bull barrel?  I could deer hunt running dogs with a midweight 20, but a 24 bull would only work in the stand.

I have heard longer barrels cause the  bolt carrier to move before the bullet leaves the barrel and hurt accuracy. Any truth to that?  Does adjustable gas fix this?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:01:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
I really like their AR10 barrels. I have not not played with their 5.56. The couple of  .264lbc barrels were good to go both holding moa or less with factory loads.
View Quote
Is 264 lbc like a 223 wylde chamber for 6.5 creedmore?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 2:30:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mbtech] [#5]
.264LBC is 6.5 grendel

I have one of their .264LBC barrels. Shoots an average of .850 with Hornady ELD
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Thinking of getting there a 6 mm version for the Grendel
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:09:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I emailed BHW / Columbia river and asked about extended rifle gas system and got a no and no plan to offer such response.  Does that kill a long barreled 6.5 creedmore?  Should I just try for a 20" rifle gas at most?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#8]
It will be  $80 more for a extended rifle gas system + fluting =$655 - $250 is  $405.I think it's best to just put the coupon on the EE and get a JP with high pressure  bolt.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:40:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By jonathan1994:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jonathan1994:
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
The  .264lbc is pretty close to the Grendel chamber. 6.5 Creedmoor is based on a larger round chambered in the AR10 platform.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top