Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2017 6:15:19 AM EDT
Is there a source for large frame 6mm barrels? I've come to realize I suck ass at bolt guns and am switching my competition rigs to semi. Looking for a large frame barrel in 6mm creedmoor/6 SLR/.243/dasher/etc. I'm looking to run the 110 SMK so 1-7 twist is preferred.

I figure the 6mm rounds would be perfect for me in the AR since the biggest disadvantage (barrel life) is somewhat negated by how easy it is the change barrels on an AR.

So far I've found JP but at $700 it's a little steep when I'm expecting to go through them rather quickly. I'm really looking for something readily available and not one I have to go through a smith for.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:50:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Black Hole which I think is now Columbia they make a  .243 win  that's a good barrel for the AR10 platform.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Rainier makes a 6 creed barrel. Down side it's 26 inch.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:42:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I was looking at that. Good price, although I can do without the fluting. I was really hoping for a 1-7 twist but haven't found any at all.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 12:04:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Scotts556:
Rainier makes a 6 creed barrel. Down side it's 26 inch.
View Quote
They also have had 24" and I believe a 22". All that I've seen have been 1:8 twist from them. I thought about grabbing the 24" when it was on sale, but I couldn't get any info on the chamber before they sold out.

OP, can you seat the 110's short enough to fit in the magazine and not occupy too much powder space? I don't have any on hand to mock up, so if you have some insight I would greatly appreciate it. I'm wanting to build a 6creed specifically for the 110's, but I was planning on a bolt gun so that I could seat long.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Do the Dasher if you can.  Super accurate cartridge and shorter case to make it easier to fit an SR25 pattern mag.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By sigman68:
Do the Dasher if you can.  Super accurate cartridge and shorter case to make it easier to fit an SR25 pattern mag.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 6:36:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Blazin_Bill:
+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blazin_Bill:
Originally Posted By sigman68:
+1
I wonder if the Dasher would actually work in the Large Frame AR. It would make for a awesome rifle.

My only question is reliable Ejection.

Scott
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 12:55:40 AM EDT
[#8]
You can order a batch of barrels directly from Krieger or from a known smith.

Not to sound like a dick, but don't you think the same underlying issues causing you to struggle to compete with a bolt gun are going to hurt you just as much or more with a gas gun? In my experience, bolt guns are much more forgiving and easier to shoot well than gas guns.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Aaron47pb:
You can order a batch of barrels directly from Krieger or from a known smith.

Not to sound like a dick, but don't you think the same underlying issues causing you to struggle to compete with a bolt gun are going to hurt you just as much or more with a gas gun? In my experience, bolt guns are much more forgiving and easier to shoot well than gas guns.
View Quote
That's a valid question, and most people are better with a bolt gun than a semi. I just happen to be the opposite.

Having used both .223 AR and 6.5 creedmoor bolt gun in competition, I do far better with the AR. This past weekend I ran the AR in two precision rifle type matches and did better than I ever have with a bolt gun.

Blazin above can attest to how much I suck with a bolt gun in competition.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 7:40:30 PM EDT
[#10]
My biggest observations are that bolt guns have a lot of reliability issues in competition, unless they have been fine-tuned by a custom smith working closely with the shooter.

I had more malfunctions with the M24 SWS in the Army than I ever did with M16A1s, M16A2s, M4s, and M4A1s.

It is easier to correct FTFeed malfunctions in bolt guns though since you have manual control of the bolt, and can back it up, start over.

There are some odd things that can happen though with guns that have been worked on, like strikers not cocking, trigger issues, and the very common FTFeed malfs.

I do find that when I get on a bolt gun, it feels like cheating for hit probability, and I think the trigger and overal solid feel of the rifle are what drive this.

There is a lot of flex and loose mate-up in most ARs, even if they feel tight initially, and the hammer swings, making pre-ignition vibration and issue.

Geissele, LaRue, and the AA triggers deal with PIV quite well though.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I think I just have a bad habit of repositioning myself when I cycle the bolt. I can cycle it very quickly, it's just a bad habit I have of moving when I do it. When shooting prone, its no problem, but when shooting from other positions, its my weakness.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:Blazin above can attest to how much I suck with a bolt gun in competition.
View Quote
Well, I wouldn't say you suck, but an AR is definitely your super power.  

Once did a test with a friend of mine....we shot from a variety of positions at 100 yards with our precision bolt guns, then our ARs. We both defied all logic by consistently shooting better with the gas guns.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:18:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe you all just need nicer bolt guns

If your truly a gas gun jedi, rock on.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#14]
ar10 or ar15 in 6mm is a sweet candy.
I have a wildcat in 6mm but would love a standard caliber ready one like a 6mm creed
I need a new job to pay for all this stuff
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:58:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lennyo3034] [#15]
It's between the rainier or custom ordering one from X-caliber. The rainier is not exactly what I want with too long of a barrel and not the twist I want. I can custom order an x-caliber to whatever I want but will be 12 weeks. I may be willing to wait that long for the first one since I don't have the rifle built yet, but future barrels I would prefer a shorter turn around. Hell, I can shoot out a 6mm barrel in 12 weeks of summer if I took it to matches and every time I went shooting.

I know Josh at PVA can turn me a better barrel than either but cost is a factor given the relatively low barrel life. I have one of Josh's barrels and another full build on the way, but for this gun semi-auto, I won't require the ridiculous accuracy he puts out.

I've also settled on 6mm creedmoor, I like the factory ammo offering and relatively cheap brass.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:53:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lennyo3034] [#16]
I ended up going with JP. Expensive but it includes a HP bolt which I would need anyways.

Does anyone know if I would need to replace the bolt when I replace the barrel? I do that for 5.56 but for the JP HP bolt, that's a significant extra cost.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 8:24:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slapdaddy] [#17]
6mm SLR seemed promising when I was looking for a 6mm to play p-dog slayer with.  You might look into that as well.

Edit; NVM, I should have read the whole thread.  Good luck with the JP.  I hear nothing but good about them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top