Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2017 4:20:53 PM EDT
anyone using them?
Need feedback.
do you enjoy the round, what barrel length you running, any gas issues, bullet weights?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:21:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scotts556] [#1]
In as I'm considering this to.

Edit: can't English today.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Same, just priced my parts today. Specific questions I have are:

1. Is a high pressure bolt necessary like 6.5 creedmoor?
2. Is an extended (rifle +2) gas system necessary?

I've heard that at the same port length, 6mm creedmoor has lower pressure than 6.5 so some of these may not be necessary, but I can't confirm that.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:56:04 PM EDT
[#3]
This is an extremely interesting round, I have been reading dozens of thread over the last 7 days as I have a fetish for .243/6mm.

If you goog 6mm Creedmoor vs. 6.5mm Creedmoor you'll get great reading.  But it seems to be a bolt gun fav, barrel burner at <2000 rounds.  There are a few really good looking factory loaded rounds.

So I've gone back to lusting for an AR in .243 Winchester.  The .260 Rem is sorta ok, I mean in a KAC hell yea, but it's still not .243.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:13:24 PM EDT
[#4]
243 has an even shorter barrel life...
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't really care that much about barrel life. In an AR I'm not paying gunsmith fees and an 8 month wait.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 1:28:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
243 has an even shorter barrel life...
View Quote
It will be interesting to see if the new Dracos barrels from Falkor work as stated.  
If so it will be the end that. I guess we shall see.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:

I've heard that at the same port length, 6mm creedmoor has lower pressure than 6.5 so some of these may not be necessary, but I can't confirm that.
View Quote
The answer to both is "not necessarily," but highly recommended. Although the pressure of the 6 may be lower than the 6.5, it is still relatively high for an AR.

Read this bulletin from JP:  Read Me
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#9]
You are right, I didn't even see that.  I guess I was so caught up in pixie dust I didn't even look closely at both rounds.

Back to Plan C.  Win the lottery and buy a KAC in .260.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Ended up ordering JP internals. Barrel, HP bolt, BCG, SCS, etc. I'm really interested in testing out the thermal dissipator. I called JP and was able to get the barrel with the +2 gas system.

I haven't decided on the receivers but leaning heavily towards the Aero M5E1 based on price.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:58:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Red_SC] [#11]
Not a 6 Creedmoor, but I shot a 6 SLR for a season. It performed very, very well. When I rebarrelled it, I went to 6.5 Creedmoor for better barrel life.

Mine was a +2 gas system with a LMT high pressure bolt, JP LMOS carrier, and a 22" Bartlein barrel.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Seems like as good of thread as any to ask in.

Why is the .243 not popular in the AR10 platform; what's the hang-up?
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By w33b8t1:

View Quote
Neck possibly. Feeding issues?
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:58:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jaoeyp] [#14]
Originally Posted By w33b8t1:

View Quote
Aren't there issues with overall length when loading the heavier bullets, 100gr plus?  Makes them too long for the mag I think.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote
Yes to both questions.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:55:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:
Yes to both questions.
View Quote
I ended up going with the JP kit including the bolt and +2 gas. Was able to get the extended gas by calling in.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:37:07 AM EDT
[#17]

I ended up going with the JP kit including the bolt and +2 gas. Was able to get the extended gas by calling in.
View Quote
I think you'll be happy with that.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I am very close to jumping into the pool on this one
Thinking of getting a 16 inch barrel and seeing what I can do with it. I have read some on velocities and cutting it down from 31 inches to 17 inches. I believe this round is just coming into its own. I would love to see what this can do, even out of an SBR 14 inch barrel to 12 inch barrel.
However I think a 16 to 18 would be a nice sweet spot for trying this one out. I just don't know what gas length to use on it at this time. Wondering. If anyone has thoughts let me know?
thanks
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Anybody have loads for these? I've heard the longest bullets don't work too well due to interference with barrel extension. 110 SMKs and 105 hybrids being the issue.

I've ordered some factory 108 hornady and some 107 SMKs to try but haven't shot it yet. Any other bullets that work well out of a semi? I'm tempted to try the 105 RDF but am afraid they are also too long.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:29:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By jaoeyp:

Aren't there issues with overall length when loading the heavier bullets, 100gr plus?  Makes them too long for the mag I think.
View Quote
Isn't max 308 AR magazine length good for 2.800" or bigger?  With .243 max COAL about 2.710" and the COAL for a .243 108g ELD Match is about 2.700", I don't believe that was ever a problem in an AR platform.

I had a .243 Armalite 20" AR10 with rifle gas length...still have the barrel.  It shot everything from cheap Monarch to 105g AMAX with no issue whatsoever with the factory non-adjustable gas block.  With the good ammo it was extremely accurate.  Since I like playing with my .243 semi-homebuilt precision bolt rifle a lot more, I changed caliber in that .243 AR10.  As to .243 as a precision cartridge, John Whidden is the current NRA long distance champ with a .243 in a field of 6mm and 6.5mm guns.  Of course, none of those guns in any of those calibers will be much like any of our AR's.

I'm finishing up a 6.5CM bolt rifle on a Savage action build and looking seriously at a 6.5CM barrel swap on one of my .308 Armalite AR10's.  I reload, and .243 and 6.5CM can be tuned extremely well with the right bullets, powder, and practice.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:44:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Mine in 6mm CM is complete and I've had it out to the range once. Performed very well with factory hornady despite being told by the barrel manufacturer that the chamber was not cut for that round and did not perform well with them.

Anyone else finish theirs?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top