Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2017 9:43:37 PM EDT
Okay guys I need the collective brainpower and experience of Arfcom to assist in putting together some ideas.  

What I want/need:  Semi-Auto DMR style rifle good for 150+ yard shots.  Max realistic range won't exceed 500 yards but would like to have the option to go 750 yards when needed.  

Budget for the rifle, scope, and essentials hasn't been established yet but I'll say lets keep it under $2500 for the big parts of the package.  

As far as caliber is concerned it needs to be in a regularly available caliber such as .223/5.56 or .308.  I'm not extremely educated on the 6.5 Creedmor but will listen to those options as well.

Accuracy:  The role for the rifle calls for above average accuracy and consistency.

I'm not for or against any particular brands.   I believe with my projected budget Larue is out of the picture, much to my dismay.

So hit me with ideas, please.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Depending on what you are shooting with it, you might want to look into a Grendel.  Much better ballistics than 556,  and you don't give up much on a 260 or 6.5 CM.....maybe 100-150 yards, depending on barrel length.  $2500 will build you a top line shooter with a Lilja or Krieger barrel that will give you .5 MOA.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:32:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Carlhwv:
Depending on what you are shooting with it, you might want to look into a Grendel.  Much better ballistics than 556,  and you don't give up much on a 260 or 6.5 CM.....maybe 100-150 yards, depending on barrel length.  $2500 will build you a top line shooter with a Lilja or Krieger barrel that will give you .5 MOA.
View Quote
It'll be a duty rifle.  Hopefully all it ever shoots are targets.  But in the end it will be a duty rifle.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:01:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By lunyou:
It'll be a duty rifle.  Hopefully all it ever shoots are targets.  But in the end it will be a duty rifle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Police or military?

If police you will have to have a certified armorer build it for liability purposes. Then I would stick to the  .223 or  .308 and factory loads. Then again for liability purposes.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Police, we have an armorer.

Ultimately I was hoping to source a factory rifle but building it is an option.

I just think the build will be a more difficult sell to the boss.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 8:43:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Can you save a little more and get a LaRue? That would work well.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By gqllc:
Can you save a little more and get a LaRue? That would work well.
View Quote
I plan on throwing a Larue or two on the option list as the ultimate goal.  The 5.56 isn't that far out of the realm of possibility as far as price goes.  The .308s are going to be stretching it.  Larue's reputation and quality might help me get there though.

Like I said I haven't been given a budget.  But it's pretty well known that the more realistic the cost the better the chance I make this happen.

The flip side would be a Remington SPS Tactical 308 after adding some upgrades such as a Magpul stock a DBM.  I would ultimately save money that way but I like the idea of semi-auto in this role.  We already have two bolt guns.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#7]

I plan on throwing a Larue or two on the option list as the ultimate goal.  The 5.56 isn't that far out of the realm of possibility as far as price goes.  The .308s are going to be stretching it.  Larue's reputation and quality might help me get there though.

Like I said I haven't been given a budget.  But it's pretty well known that the more realistic the cost the better the chance I make this happen.

The flip side would be a Remington SPS Tactical 308 after adding some upgrades such as a Magpul stock a DBM.  I would ultimately save money that way but I like the idea of semi-auto in this role.  We already have two bolt guns.
View Quote
I'm sure there are some folks on the boards that could help you make the case for a LaRue....
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 5:41:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Police, we have an armorer.

Ultimately I was hoping to source a factory rifle but building it is an option.

I just think the build will be a more difficult sell to the boss.
View Quote
Check with Larue and see what kinda of LE discount he is offering and Rock River they both offer LE discounts. Have a shoot day where you bring in some kit guns and compare them to factory rifles and let your boss see what they do apples to oranges. Our local Le got a discount from Bushmaster then they switched to Rock River. I think LWRC offers LE discounts too.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 8:18:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm sure there are some folks on the boards that could help you make the case for a LaRue....
View Quote
He's right you know.gif

Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:17:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Will your department allow you to use this and how does their policy on that work?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Per communication with Larue they don't offer a LE discount.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:23:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
Will your department allow you to use this and how does their policy on that work?
View Quote
I'm not sure what you're asking, but I'll attempt to answer what I think you're asking.

I got the go ahead to float some options to the command for a department purchased firearm to fill the role. So yes I will be able to use it if it is purchased. There is no guarantee it happens. Or even that I'll end up being issued it. They may give it to someone else, but I'm putting the options together.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:31:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Reload?

If not, 556. Cheap and available ammo. Then I would go to several gun stores and find one that fits you, in your price range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top