Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2017 10:40:25 PM EDT
I know I know another barrel thread.... I feel like starting some fights over barrels. I know buy once cry one or you get what you pay for.

Avoiding the big dollar companies lets talk about WOA, Larue, criterion and lets throw in ballistic advantage for fun.

Each one offers a stainless "match" option, except for Larue but still hear great things about them.

So let the battle begin!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't forget Wilson Combat......not sure what this thread about but forget them.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#2]
75th post in three years and this is your best idea?

What length? Caliber? Use?

I use a lot of Larue and HM Defense barrels, they both shoot better than I do so that's all that maters to me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:16:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Vigildom7:
I know I know another barrel thread.... I feel like starting some fights over barrels. I know buy once cry one or you get what you pay for.

Avoiding the big dollar companies lets talk about WOA, Larue, criterion and lets throw in ballistic advantage for fun.

Each one offers a stainless "match" option, except for Larue but still hear great things about them.

So let the battle begin!!
View Quote

I think that LaRue only offers a stainless "match" option. They are cagey about what their in-house "Rearden Steel" is but there are only so many common stainless barrel steels 416 -- 416r -- 410 -- LW50 out there. Not exactly sure what their chamber is, but at least in 7.62 seems to be on the tight/short side at the neck and throat, like a "match" chamber.

There's a lot in this price range, and some of them will be the same blank turned by different companies. We haven't even gotten into profile or caliber.

I will say the most accurate AR barrel of any caliber I have owned is an older Lothar Walther LaRue.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#4]
My Stealth has really impressed me so far, bagged with 77gr SMKs I can count on it to pretty consistently churn out sub-MOA 5-shot groups. It's done quite a few sub-.5. One day I'll get around to putting it to the official MOA challenge, but until then for the sale price they're going for they're an absolutely superb option.

I also got a 10.5" Rainer ultramatch, and it's still breaking in and while it's too early to tell it's also starting to really impress me. Even though it's still settling in it's putting 77's into groups only a bit larger than the Larue. I'm excited to see where it gets to once it hits it's stride.

Lastly, I'll have a ballistic advantage coming in soon. I expect good things from it too, being sub-$200 and carrying a sub-MOA guarantee? That's an awesome deal. It's a great time to build ARs.

Also, now that I think about it, Larue, Ranier, and BA all carry MOA guarantees.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Rainier Arms

Compass Lake Engineering

even stainless steel barrels from Rock River Arms are highly regarded as a great value.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:38:14 PM EDT
[#6]
BTW - I always suggest people buy White Oak Arms SPR profile barrels. They are accurate as hell, reliable and relatively cheap. Make sure you order it blasted to a matte finish or it will show up shiny.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:32:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: azmp5] [#7]
Im really surprised how I never see JP Enterprise as an option (even though i think they are Wilson blanks). I have 2 of their barrels now *5.56 and .308  and they are awesome (with a price tag to them though)
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:04:47 AM EDT
[#8]
no love for Noveske?

how about x-caliber barrels?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:38:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#9]
It might be only a hundred dollars or so more to step up to true match barrels like Kreiger, Lilja, Bartlein, Shilen, Douglas and such, companies that make barrels and barrels only for the highest level of competition.  The chances of getting a true sub MOA, or sub 1/2 MOA barrel are better.  With the more modestly priced barrels, you will hear stories about the sub MOA accuracy from those who have achieved it, but not so much about the other owners who did not get the accuracy they thought they might get.

The top barrel makers have concentricity, straightness and uniformity standards on the bore and rifling in the order of no more than .0002" deviation from one end of the barrel all the way to the other, combined with hand lapping and attention to the small details.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a 16" Rainier Arms Match I picked up that shoots sub MOA with IMI 77 grain razercore. I'm pretty happy with it given the price point.
I'm sure other, more well known names might shoot a little better but I also didn't have to wait months for the barrel to get delivered to me either.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:24:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bangbang492] [#11]
double tapped
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:31:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I also recommend White Oak. I've yet to see one of their barrels not shoot exceedingly well.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 1:04:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd drop $500+ on a Bartlein barrel from Compass Lake.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, you can spend more than $300 for an AR barrel, but as long as WOA and Larue are in business, I can't imagine going with anything else. My brother has an 18" WOA barrel that is consistently the most accurate AR barrel I have ever witnessed. A first time shooter posted a 1.5" 5-shot group @ 200 yds with it.

But my Larue Stealth barrel is damn near just as consistent.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By coyotl:
no love for Noveske?

how about x-caliber barrels?
View Quote
I picked up a 20" Noveske medium varmint barrel when they had their 25% off/free shipping sale a while back.  I'll post pics when I get it threaded and have gotten some rounds through it.  My 11.5 and 18" Noveske barrels are both very accurate with Hornady 75 gr. and IMI 77 grain BTHP's.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:05:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Oldgold] [#16]
Originally Posted By sea2summit:
ea?

What length? Caliber? Use?

tm.
View Quote
No love for AR performance?
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
BTW - I always suggest people buy White Oak Arms SPR profile barrels. They are accurate as hell, reliable and relatively cheap. Make sure you order it blasted to a matte finish or it will show up shiny.
View Quote
I love mine.   Nobody told me to request it blasted, I just assumed it was and the website doesn't make much mention and I didn't look that closely.  When it came, I was surprised to see it shiny,  It's grown on me.  After I put the gas block on, it looked like I threw it down the driveway but a scotch brite pad got it looking new again.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Trigger time and wind calls are more important than which reputable barrel you get.

Even with a 1.5 MOA barrel, I will out-shoot most people at distance because of wind calls.

More time on the range, and less time worrying about which barrel will yield results you're looking for.

Unless all you want to do is shoot groups at 100yds (one of the most boring things I find personally), I would focus more on the trigger and ammo.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#19]
None of those are really top of the line match grade barrels.

Ask the barrel question on a benchrest forum...or over at sinpershide.

Then again, it doesn't matter if you are not going to spend the money on premium ammo, optics, and keep rate of fire low.  

If you just want an accurate barrel to blast with and maybe do the MOA challenge, any of those should work.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:41:44 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd be curious if anyone has any info on the new Faxon Match Series barrels.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 5:49:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
Trigger time and wind calls are more important than which reputable barrel you get.

Even with a 1.5 MOA barrel, I will out-shoot most people at distance because of wind calls.

More time on the range, and less time worrying about which barrel will yield results you're looking for.

Unless all you want to do is shoot groups at 100yds (one of the most boring things I find personally), I would focus more on the trigger and ammo.
View Quote
I think your preaching to the choir!  I have made a donkey out of myself more than once on a poor wind call or a hurried trigger break. Then only to go to the bench and cut a clover leaf. You can shoot from a bench every weekend and then make an ass out of yourself trying to shoot a coyote from a fence post rest. Or put a nice divot in your hood of the truck cause the sand bag was to short and the ground uneven.  I'm a firm believer in clean and dust free. I tape my muzzle on my ranch rifles. And there are days they are muddy or so dusty you blow them off with the air compressor.  

It's been my experience that a lot of barrels shoot better than the people behind them, me included.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top