Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2017 7:26:24 PM EDT
So several years ago I picket up an LR260 hunter. I have always wanted to play out to 1000 yards and this seemed like a good choice. Problem is the barrel is very short on this hunter which results in lower velocities. So I have been digging around for some time in getting a new 22 in barrel which seems to be the optimal length. I have everything to reload 260 but noticed less and less factory ammo options on the shelf.

Now it seems the 6.5 Creedmore has taken off and over which has me asking if I am going to rebarrel anyway would I be better off just going to a 6.5 creedmore? From what I have read mags, bolt and everything should work, unless I have miss understood the postings.

There is just so many more factory load options at a much lower price now for the 6.5 Creedmore it has me second guessing getting another 260 barrel. Appreciate any thoughts and insight.

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:17:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By CSPCRX:
So several years ago I picket up an LR260 hunter. I have always wanted to play out to 1000 yards and this seemed like a good choice. Problem is the barrel is very short on this hunter which results in lower velocities. So I have been digging around for some time in getting a new 22 in barrel which seems to be the optimal length. I have everything to reload 260 but noticed less and less factory ammo options on the shelf.

Now it seems the 6.5 Creedmore has taken off and over which has me asking if I am going to rebarrel anyway would I be better off just going to a 6.5 creedmore? From what I have read mags, bolt and everything should work, unless I have miss understood the postings.

There is just so many more factory load options at a much lower price now for the 6.5 Creedmore it has me second guessing getting another 260 barrel. Appreciate any thoughts and insight.

Thanks all.
View Quote
I'd say so long as you're not heavily invested in reloading for the .260 and only buy factory ammo, I'd definitely switch to 6.5CM as there are a tone more factory options at less expense. YMMV
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 6:45:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Reloading components add up plus you may decide to get another upper and light weight scope. Then build a hunting rig with the extra barrel. Or put a night scope or aim point on it for a fast rifle.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I am not very heavily invested in reloading honestly. When I got the rifle I got the reloading dies and some reloading supplies. I have some powder which I am sure I could use for loading 6.5CM. I have some brass and not much else. All of which I am sure I could sell. Honestly I had not loaded a single round for it just picking up Remington factory ammo.

This is what has me thinking that making the switch to 6.5CM may be a better option at this point in the game. Outside of a new barrel is it safe to assume my bolt and mags will work?

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:48:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALex] [#4]
OP, I am a .260 fanatic, I believe it to be an excellent round. I preferred it over the Creedmoor due to the brass availability. I've taken a liking to necking up Winchester .243 brass.

However, I am now having a rifle chambered in Creedmoor because I am very familiar with the 6.5 ballistics (know much of my elevation and light winds off the top of my head out to 1k) and really like the 6.5x47 Lapua round also. Anyhow, I wanted the option to be able to use factory ammo if I was feeling too lazy to load, but Lapua now offers the small rifle primer pocket, so I have a 28" Creedmoor due to me at the end of this month.

ETA - yes, your bolt and mags should work between the Creedmoor and .260.  I would be recalcitrant to run any ammo loaded with that Lapua small rifle primer brass if you don't have a small firing pin hole. That's a lot of pressure to not be fully supported if you used the large FP hole and those cases.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:09:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for your perspective. Sounds like the recommendation would be to get a bolt along with the barrel to ensure primer size is right.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:58:12 AM EDT
[#6]
The fact that there is now Lapua 6.5CM brass and so many affordable 6.5CM loads makes me lean to 6.5CM, and I'm also an early investor in .260 Rem.

Less case capacity in the CM makes it more friendly to the gas system, but optimal gas port diameter and location are still important with these cartridges.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#7]
You probably don't recall but I have picked your brain on the 260 several times, especially on barrel length. Perhaps it was a good thing I never got around to changing it. The one thing I read that I am confused on or have confused my self on is the bolt. I don't find anyone selling a different bolt for the 6.5CM seems like they are all the same as the 308 which is the same as the 260. I thought I have read several places that there is an issue with the primer or something along that lines. Which further confuses me because are they not both large rifle primers?

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
The fact that there is now Lapua 6.5CM brass and so many affordable 6.5CM loads makes me lean to 6.5CM, and I'm also an early investor in .260 Rem.

Less case capacity in the CM makes it more friendly to the gas system, but optimal gas port diameter and location are still important with these cartridges.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#8]
What made me decide on 6.5CM over the 260 was due to being able to load the bullets longer with the 6.5CM with detachable mags.  Both calibers are very similar, but that was why I went with 6.5CM.  Remington did a crap job of marketing the 260 and they allowed the 6.5CM to become very popular.

I'm in the process of building a 6.5CM gas gun for hunting.  My intention is to build a sub 7lb rifle.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:42:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Aubie1:
What made me decide on 6.5CM over the 260 was due to being able to load the bullets longer with the 6.5CM with detachable mags.  Both calibers are very similar, but that was why I went with 6.5CM.  Remington did a crap job of marketing the 260 and they allowed the 6.5CM to become very popular.

I'm in the process of building a 6.5CM gas gun for hunting.  My intention is to build a sub 7lb rifle.
View Quote
+1 on Remington dropping the ball. They kinda did the same thing with the 6.8. What gets me is they knew target shooters took to the  .260 from day one and they wouldn't offer good loads for them. Oh well the government will bail them out.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:28:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys for the feedback. Great thing, on the reloading side, is the powder and bullets are the same.

I am still confused on the posts about the bolt and firing pins. Anyone with experience that can explain this? I cannot find a bolt that says it is 6.5CM specific.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:59:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By CSPCRX:
Thanks guys for the feedback. Great thing, on the reloading side, is the powder and bullets are the same.

I am still confused on the posts about the bolt and firing pins. Anyone with experience that can explain this? I cannot find a bolt that says it is 6.5CM specific.
View Quote
Shit, sorry for not getting back to you sooner brother.  You do not need a CM specific bolt, you simply need an HP (high pressure) .308 bolt.  JP Rifles makes them and so do a few others.  Google "high pressure bolt" and you'll get your products.  All it is is a .308/7.62 bolt with a smaller diameter firing pin hole (there is no open space around the firing pin).  This is better for the 6/6.5 caliber rifles because of the pressures involved in their respective firings.  The smaller FP hole allows the cup of the primer to be more supported by the bolt.  When there is less material supporting the primer cup, the primer can begin to "flow," which is essentially it melting around the firing pin, into that open space around the FP channel.  With these higher pressure rounds, that can create pierced primers.  Neither of which are good for your bolt, nor your accuracy.

Clear as mud?
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Perfectly thanks for explaining that. That explains why I was not finding them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top