Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2017 12:26:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: andrewz71]
Now that the Larue FDE heavy is here and I am going to be spending a bunch of time at the range I thought I might build another rifle to take with me.

Here is what I have so far in the spare parts bin:

SMOS FDE build kit lower, upper and 13.6" rail (recently added)
Larue MBT trigger
Ergo fde deluxe grip
PSA lower parts kit
Spikes car. buffer tube, nut, end plate. H2 buffer and spring
Magpul pro mbus sights
Silencerco 30 cal. muzzle brake
2A Armament adj. bcg.
Nitrided gas tube have both mid and rifle.

Parts I need:

For a barrel I was thinking 20", optimal?

Barrels I was thinking about were either the jp 18" or 22", or this 20" shilen barrel https://www.midwayusa.com/product/833900/shilen-drop-in-match-barrel-with-bolt-ar-15-65-grendel-service-rifle-hbar-contour-1-in-9-twist-20-stainless-steel

Both options come with bolts but the shilen needs threads no matter what, and the 22" jp might be fine or need shortening.  Might even do some flutting while I am at it. But do I want 1:9 twist over 1:8?

I also read faxon is coming out with a 20" should I wait?

I was thinking of pinning a geissele gas block.

Found a geissele 34mm scope mount on sale for $175, has 20 moa but don't know if I want that or not?
Another peice of glass, I have a burris xtr 2 5-25 x50 setting in a box right now thou.

Was thinking about getting another fde str magpul, but should I spring for a magpul fde prs stock, and go rifle buffer tube, rifle buffer instead of carbine etc?

Leaving only mags I believe.  What does everyone recommend for these.  I think I only need 10rd'ers or so, don't think I want 25rds unless they are the most reliable.  Which brands are the best/reliable? Best source to buy them from?

Also I have a coupon to buy 240 rds of hornady black for $200 shipped.  Any other ammo I should really look into getting before I buy dies?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 1:04:46 PM EDT
[#1]
For a barrel I'd do a 18" JP if I did it again. Unless you are really banging long ranges you shouldnt need the 20/22, and frankly the Grendel is easy enough it doesnt gain *that* much with the longer barrels. 

As for scope rings I'm a bit finicky, I dont like a lot of space between my objective and rail. I dont know why, I just like that to be as close as possible. Its all a cosmetic thing, thats it. So I spend a lot of time researching the height above rail the mounts give. For example the Geisseles (Which I cant use...1 inch tube) are 1.54 inches from rail to scope center. For my scope thats way more than I need, so I'm looking for something lower. Probably go ADM. On top of that....Lets be honest....The Geissele rings are ridiculously expensive. Their cheapest rail is still $26 more than LaRues most expensive rail. Geisseles cheapest rings are roughly $100 more than LaRue average set of rings. Simple point is this. I'm not spending what Geissele is asking for rings when theres comparable options on the market for a whole hell of a lot less. Thats just me. 

I think the mags to use are the Elanders, available from AA. 
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
For a barrel I'd do a 18" JP if I did it again. Unless you are really banging long ranges you shouldnt need the 20/22, and frankly the Grendel is easy enough it doesnt gain *that* much with the longer barrels. 

As for scope rings I'm a bit finicky, I dont like a lot of space between my objective and rail. I dont know why, I just like that to be as close as possible. Its all a cosmetic thing, thats it. So I spend a lot of time researching the height above rail the mounts give. For example the Geisseles (Which I cant use...1 inch tube) are 1.54 inches from rail to scope center. For my scope thats way more than I need, so I'm looking for something lower. Probably go ADM. On top of that....Lets be honest....The Geissele rings are ridiculously expensive. Their cheapest rail is still $26 more than LaRues most expensive rail. Geisseles cheapest rings are roughly $100 more than LaRue average set of rings. Simple point is this. I'm not spending what Geissele is asking for rings when theres comparable options on the market for a whole hell of a lot less. Thats just me. 

View Quote
agree with most of this above...18" should be plenty (I went 18" Odin Works kit, barrel, BCG, gas block for ~$400 and it shoots better than I can).  ADM Recons are great and I've heard good things about Elanders (I am using 10/15/25 round ASC Grendel mags - 1 of the 25 rounders spring has failed, the rest are so-far-so-good).

You should pick up a case of Wolf 100gr Grendel at 24 cents/round for plinking.  It is pretty accurate (~2MOA).  I've used it successfully out to 450Y on 10" steel with great repeatability (i.e. lots of rounds on target at that distance).
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#3]
If you plan on using a lot to hunt with the Christianson arms barrels shave a few ounces. Other than that all your choices are top notch. I am partial to my 18 1/2" barrel grendel.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:05:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By jondelong:
agree with most of this above...18" should be plenty (I went 18" Odin Works kit, barrel, BCG, gas block for ~$400 and it shoots better than I can).  ADM Recons are great and I've heard good things about Elanders (I am using 10/15/25 round ASC Grendel mags - 1 of the 25 rounders spring has failed, the rest are so-far-so-good).

You should pick up a case of Wolf 100gr Grendel at 24 cents/round for plinking.  It is pretty accurate (~2MOA).  I've used it successfully out to 450Y on 10" steel with great repeatability (i.e. lots of rounds on target at that distance).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jondelong:
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:

I second the Odin Works parts for a build, mine:

Upper I built is all Odin Works components:

- 18" DMR profile SS barrel, 1x8
- O2 Lite M-Lock 15.5" rail
- Odin Works BCG
- Odin Works adjustable gas block
- Odin Works billet upper receiver
- PA 4-14 FFP Mildot and PA mount

Lower I took from my Larue Stealth upper, will do double duty for now and has a Geissele SSA-E trigger in it.

Suppressor is Griffin Armament Recce 7 Mod 3 with a Cole-Tac cover.

This was my first five rounds of the day.  I boresighted it and got it on target the week before.  I was shooting 123 AMAX factory.  The 123 SSTs were not as accurate.
This group was a five shout group, I pulled the one not touching and was my first shot.  My calipers broke but per the ruler, MOA for all five shots is about .8 and for the four shots touching MOA is about .3, I was very happy!    I showed my wife when I got home I was so happy about it and she ask me if I would like to hang it on the fridge!  

Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:43:23 PM EDT
[#5]
After having great success with a JP-15 I went with a complete JP 18" Grendel upper.
My 1st outing with it I used factory ammo to sight it in then successfully took it to 300, 500, and 800 yards.
I'm new to reloading and still trying to work up a load for it. 1st loads were a tad hot 
I also got the Geissele mount while it was on sale and it works well.

My FDE Larue will be here in a couple days 

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top