Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2017 10:10:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Torchy]
I'm getting the itch for a nice long range rig in AR10 platform. I've been a member here since 2008 and back in 08 I knew the AR10 world well. Haven't dove into the large frame AR world since so I'm rusty and I know a lot has changed since then.

Wanting to shoot 1000-1500yards (maybe even a mile just for fun because I like to push the envelope). I reload and have every tool needed to build one but I keep seeing a lot of people say to just buy it, which is more against what I'd like to do but I do want the finished product to work very well. If buying over building yields a better outcome then fine by me.

Either way I know it'll take 4-8 months for a barrel or a full build soooo time isn't a huge factor.

If I buy I am looking at a GAP10 and can get one for under $3000, which to me seems pretty good. Oh and if I build it'll only be premium parts. I don't want to build and it cost me $1,000-$2,000 more than a buy. I've built a few .223 AR's and while they have came out great, they didn't come out cheap.

I already own the can and the glass, just need the host and if it makes a difference it'll only be shot suppressed.  

So 3 questions:

Ken at GAP told me their 6.5C barrel (Bartlein) will only last 3000 rounds with great accuracy. That sound right?

Who else should I consider for a full build?

Who should I consider to do my barrel if I build?
I currently have a 6.5G barrel coming from Precision Firearms and not sure if I use them again.

Or do I say to hell with all of it and just get a NEMO 300win mag?

Pics of sub 1/2 MOA all day 223 build... because we all like pics!

reloads
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:38:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I decided to build, but it was actually on a whim. A buddy had a receiver set, LPK, buffer and charging handle that he was looking to sell. Grabbed it and scored a barrel and BCG 2 days later. Grabbed the remaining essentials and had it built in just over a week. It happened much faster than anticipated. I've always wanted a 6.5creed gasser, but I began this project to see how close I could come to a friends 2 high end rifles that he purchased.

As far as barrel life, 3k is probably in the ballpark. I've seen estimates from 27-3500 tossed around. The cut rifled Bartleins should be in the mid to upper end, with all things being equal. The other part of the equation is the rate of fire and how hard you're pushing the load.

For a purchased gun JP, GAP and Falkors get tossed out quite often. The Seekins Sp10 at under 2500$ isn't a bad option either.

First range outing. The high round was due to getting used to the new trigger. Much lighter trigger than I've had on previous ARs.

I'm new to large frame AR's and had not fired one prior to my build. I still think I can squeeze more accuracy out of it when I get used to the trigger and recoil impulse. Less than 20rds fired, but I've had no cycling issues or WTF moments, so I'm pretty pleased with it. Especially for it coming in at half the price of a high end purchased gun, but being new to them, I'm not sure how much accuracy I'd gain with one of the purchased guns.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:02:05 AM EDT
[#2]
For a factory gasser GAP or JP have the best rep. Might check out Seekins as well.

John McQuay from 8541 Tactical on YouTube has several videos going over his 6.5 AR build. He has had issues with it throwing flyers and he is a pretty knowledgeable dude. I would recommend buying the GAP or JP. If you ever decide to sell they will hold value. A parts gun will always just be a parts gun no matter how high end the parts. I dont know what GAP's wait is on them now but JP's website quotes 3-4 months for a custom build or one week if you take their 22" 6.5 model they stock.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I would look for something with an ELGS +2 whatever you do.

I've been down this route a few times and have helped many who were about to go down it.

JP sells barrels with +2" ELGS, and they are great barrels.

Port pressure is way high if you go RLGS.

Especially since you are shooting suppressed, I would almost insist that you go ELGS with adjustable gas somewhere in the system, preferably away from the port.

I would look at the Savage MSR-10 and pre-order if you can if you don't go JP or GAP.

It's set up from the start with ELGS, adjustable cylinder gas, PRS, 2-stage trigger, lightweight free float MLOK tube, side charger, small frame receiver set that feels like an AR15, and a quality nitrided barrel.

My GAP .260 shoots like a dream with a Bartlein pipe unitized to the upper and the gas block blended to the shoulder.  22" laser gun it is, especially with 130gr VLD.

First loads out of the gate all shot .6" and down into the .4s, all 5rd groups.

The only thing I wish I had for my current .260 Rem is a longer gas system, a small frame receiver set (wasn't available at the time), affordable factory ammo (Hornady just introduced 130gr ELD-M), and a tunable gas system with SCS.

If I could have those features, it would get shot a lot more.

Since I have so many 6.5 Grendels, I haven't shot my .260 in years now.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JCIN:
For a factory gasser GAP or JP have the best rep. Might check out Seekins as well.

John McQuay from 8541 Tactical on YouTube has several videos going over his 6.5 AR build. He has had issues with it throwing flyers and he is a pretty knowledgeable dude. I would recommend buying the GAP or JP. If you ever decide to sell they will hold value. A parts gun will always just be a parts gun no matter how high end the parts. I dont know what GAP's wait is on them now but JP's website quotes 3-4 months for a custom build or one week if you take their 22" 6.5 model they stock.
View Quote
I looked through the videos of his build quick and noticed that he used the wrong gas tube. Fulton Armory .308 Win and 6.5 CM barrels use Armalite AR-10 .308 rifle length gas tubes. They are about 5/16" longer than an AR-15 one. He used an LMT AR-15 tube. Could be an issue. FYI His consensus on the flyers seemed to be issues related to the Nosler RDF bullets.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:30:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveS] [#5]
Originally Posted By Torchy:
I'm getting the itch for a nice long range rig in AR10 platform. I've been a member here since 2008 and back in 08 I knew the AR10 world well. Haven't dove into the large frame AR world since so I'm rusty and I know a lot has changed since then.

Wanting to shoot 1000-1500yards (maybe even a mile just for fun because I like to push the envelope). I reload and have every tool needed to build one but I keep seeing a lot of people say to just buy it, which is more against what I'd like to do but I do want the finished product to work very well. If buying over building yields a better outcome then fine by me.

Either way I know it'll take 4-8 months for a barrel or a full build soooo time isn't a huge factor.

If I buy I am looking at a GAP10 and can get one for under $3000, which to me seems pretty good. Oh and if I build it'll only be premium parts. I don't want to build and it cost me $1,000-$2,000 more than a buy. I've built a few .223 AR's and while they have came out great, they didn't come out cheap.

I already own the can and the glass, just need the host and if it makes a difference it'll only be shot suppressed.  

So 3 questions:

Ken at GAP told me their 6.5C barrel (Bartlein) will only last 3000 rounds with great accuracy. That sound right?  3000 for comp, 5000 for better than 87% top 12% of ARFCOM, leaving 1%

Who else should I consider for a full build?  Scott Medesha @ Speak with the wife, Laurie

Who should I consider to do my barrel if I build?
I currently have a 6.5G barrel coming from Precision Firearms and not sure if I use them again. Speak with George Smith @ Evolution Gun Works

Or do I say to hell with all of it and just get a NEMO 300win mag?  Not no BUTT!!! hell no.

View Quote
Responses in OP's quote.

Grendel can't play in this field: 1-1.5K and even think of  

BUTT!!! I would foot the whole food & alcohol tab every da-da-damn time LRRPF52 would let me, at what ever venue.  

no homo  
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Not so fast on Grendel for 1-1.5k

6.5 Grendel at 1305 yards

and

6.5 Grendel vs. milk jug at 1,513 yards

Not saying Creedmoor would not have longer legs, just that a Grendel can apparently make it that far too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I built mine on a Mega MaTen receiver set and am happy I built instead of bought.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:08:32 PM EDT
[#8]
What you need is a JP LRP 07 in .260 or Creedmoor.  

You won't find any AR that is more accurate.  Not many will even measure up to the JP, no shit.  When he builds rifles, he doesn't mess around.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 5:03:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Torchy] [#9]
Originally Posted By Andielouroo:
I built mine on a Mega MaTen receiver set and am happy I built instead of bought.  

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c102/jerkeejoe/6.520ar_zps4g4fimj7.jpg
View Quote
Thanks for the responses guys. What length is your rail in this pic? I can't seem to find a 13' rail with a RL gas system anywhere.

Still looking at all my options. Def some good info in here.

Oh and why not the nemo?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I believe this is the exact set I used: MaTen Set with an SLR adjustable gas block and a 20" Ballistic Advantage barrel.  Shoots factory Hornady stuff just a hair under 1 MOA.  Haven't had a chance to work up any loads yet, but hope to make it shoot a bit better.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:41:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveS] [#11]
Originally Posted By FALex:
What you need is a JP LRP 07 in .260 or Creedmoor.  

You won't find any AR that is more accurate.  Not many will even measure up to the JP, no shit.  When he builds rifles, he doesn't mess around.
View Quote
JP is fine kit, BUTT!!!

George Smith and/or Scott Medesha...

where the heck do you recon JP got his dope from, technically?

Besides backward engineering ARMALITE products?

It's a heck of a story of what Mark Westrom did with purchasing the whole kit and kaboodal and using CAD in the mid-90's.

Out of the Box, JP is not a RFA.  That's wRong Frakin' Answer for those in Rio Linda or non-Large Frame AR Land.

Even GAP first used ARMALITE receivers and barrel extensions.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Ronnoc:
Not so fast on Grendel for 1-1.5k

6.5 Grendel at 1305 yards

and

6.5 Grendel vs. milk jug at 1,513 yards

Not saying Creedmoor would not have longer legs, just that a Grendel can apparently make it that far too.
View Quote
LRRPF52 and a few can have FUN AND HITS CONSISTENTLY at that distance.

Most can't even have fun.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:13:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALex] [#13]
Originally Posted By DaveS:

JP is fine kit, BUTT!!!

George Smith and/or Scott Medesha...

where the heck do you recon JP got his dope from, technically?

Besides backward engineering ARMALITE products?

It's a heck of a story of what Mark Westrom did with purchasing the whole kit and kaboodal and using CAD in the mid-90's.

Out of the Box, JP is not a RFA.  That's wRong Frakin' Answer for those in Rio Linda or non-Large Frame AR Land.

Even GAP first used ARMALITE receivers and barrel extensions.
View Quote
Sorry Dave, but I have zero clue what the fuck you typed out there man.Help me out a bit here.  Regardless, I guess the key phrase in your statement would be: "first used..."  And then technology, R&D, T&E and some other actions transpired and we have several "precision," large-frame AR's.  GAP makes them, LaRue makes them, JP makes them, etc, etc, etc... not sure if you're just saying Armalite is the end all, be all as they were the progenitors of today's precision rifle AR's or what the deal is?  

Not trying to start a shit storm, just trying to interpret what you put out there.  I am vaguely aware of Medesha, but not George Smith.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the input guys. I just ordered a GAP10. I feel like I'm taking the easy way out but they are basically exactly what I want. I honestly can't find a high end barrel maker that I trust even if you take money out of the equation.

They will do a plus 2 inch gas system and they're going to have a custom made Seekins m-lok rail instead of weiner-mod made for me. Pretty sweet
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:06:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the input guys. I just ordered a GAP10. I feel like I'm taking the easy way out but they are basically exactly what I want. I honestly can't find a high end barrel maker that I trust even if you take money out of the equation.

They will do a plus 2 inch gas system and they're going to have a custom made Seekins m-lok rail instead of weiner-mod made for me. Pretty sweet
View Quote
A great choice, nonetheless! What caliber did you end up going with? You're going to be one happy camper once this rig gets to you. You may even be quite surprised at the precision you'll see out of it.  Do you happen to know what gas block GAP will be using on your rifle?  I have a first generation JP AGB on my LRP and it is the only component of JP's you'll read me bitching about.  In fact, they must've recognized it as an issue as well because their new AGB's are awesome.  This first generation one is no good. The adjustment screw is stuck like a son of a bitch. Probably has a mountain of carbon built up on it...I'm looking at an SLR or the new gen by JP.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:39:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Torchy] [#16]
Originally Posted By FALex:

A great choice, nonetheless! What caliber did you end up going with? You're going to be one happy camper once this rig gets to you. You may even be quite surprised at the precision you'll see out of it.  Do you happen to know what gas block GAP will be using on your rifle?  I have a first generation JP AGB on my LRP and it is the only component of JP's you'll read me bitching about.  In fact, they must've recognized it as an issue as well because their new AGB's are awesome.  This first generation one is no good. The adjustment screw is stuck like a son of a bitch. Probably has a mountain of carbon built up on it...I'm looking at an SLR or the new gen by JP.
View Quote
Good to hear! I ended up with a 6.5C. Gap uses a SLR adjustable. I have 4 AR15's with SLR adjustables and they work great. Pretty much the only one I'll use. The secret to keeping them from locking up is to adjust them from fully open to closed then back to your desired setting every 100-200 rounds or so. Due to that fact, SLR is my favorite because their adjustment knobs are easy to get to.

Anyone know what mags I'll use? Magpul have a mag for this gun/cal? They don't mention a 6.5C mag on their site:/
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:37:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Good to hear! I ended up with a 6.5C. Gap uses a SLR adjustable. I have 4 AR15's with SLR adjustables and they work great. Pretty much the only one I'll use. The secret to keeping them from locking up is to adjust them from fully open to closed then back to your desired setting every 100-200 rounds or so. Due to that fact, SLR is my favorite because their adjustment knobs are easy to get to.

Anyone know what mags I'll use? Magpul have a mag for this gun/cal? They don't mention a 6.5C mag on their site:/
View Quote
Magpul LR/SR 25 .308 mags or the m118's to handle a seating depth of 2.830.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:56:03 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote
I like Lancer's for the big AR's.  The Magpul feel too flimsy to me and I have a bunch of them.

Dan
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

Magpul LR/SR 25 .308 mags or the m118's to handle a seating depth of 2.830.
View Quote
You can run KAC's mags or Larue's mags, which will allow you to seat your bullet further out than all other SR25-patterned mags (if you care about that).  Of course, you will not be finding those at 15-20.00/mag, either, but I digresss...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top