BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:13:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
That is really weird.  You're taking about case length?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CaliContractor:
Ok I just got the modified grendel case for the hornady OAL guage. I did it about a dozen times and was very light on the pressure and I keep coming up with 2.340. I do not know if this is the number it should be but it is what I am getting with the eld bullet.

I did compare the 123  eld to an 123  amax and oal of the bullet is the same. 1.236, using the number 5  hornady ogive thing on the calipers they both measure out the same at .659-.660

One thing I did and it does not make sense to me is the unfire case is larger then the fired case. The unfired case measure 1.513 and the fired case measures 1.510
That is really weird.  You're taking about case length?
I went back and measured a bunch because it was bothering me and it just the variance in the cases before they are fired. What I mean is that I do not think the unfired hornady cases are all the same length. I just measured a bunch of fired and they bounce all over the place. I am used to working with trimmed cases and everything being the same
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Lapua brass is worth it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:22:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CaliContractor] [#3]
what do you guys think of the measurement of 2.248 with the OAL guage?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:32:58 PM EDT
[#4]
That's pretty long.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:31:03 AM EDT
[#5]
ok I think I found a problem with the OAL guage, if I screw the case all the way down it protrudes to far into the case to let the bullet go any deeper the the measurement I posted above. I grinded off the nipple above the threads so that the bullet could drop nearly all the way into the case.

When I rechecked the number I got was 2.248, sorry for any confusion as I have never used this tool and that length was bothering me, still not 100% sure im right but it feels better when i'm doing it. either way PF needs to figure out what to do with this barrel, soon.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:37:41 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote
That's what most 123gr SST are at.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:05:02 AM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes
Sorry not picking up what your putting down. Care to clarify? Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 2:23:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Mark says he needs the upper and the ammo, no shipping label so I guess I get to eat the costs on that.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry not picking up what your putting down. Care to clarify? Thanks.
View Quote
123gr SST factory COL is 2.243"-2.248"COL, most being at the lower end.

A lot of 123gr AMAX are at 2.250" COL.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#10]
It sucks but soon you will be very happy I'm sure. Keep us posted. I just ordered a case of eld's so I'll let you know how they are in mine
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Crabby48:
It sucks but soon you will be very happy I'm sure. Keep us posted. I just ordered a case of eld's so I'll let you know how they are in mine
View Quote
Not really kinda meh over the whole thing at this point, problem after problem when I thought I was working and paying for top notch and you get subpar. Personally I won't public attack PF but IF any person asks I will share my story. I get owning a business, I have owned a construction company in California for almost 20 years now.  

As far as I know in that time I have never had a compliant about me or my work, that's alot of people I have interacted with maybe in the 10's of thousands, so maybe I expect to much and hold people to my standards. I also get that people make mistakes, that's part of being human and learning. It's how you handle the mistakes if you make them and then go on to make sure they do not happen again.

This will be the 3rd screw up on this barrel and the 2nd time back, I don't even feel like dealing with the third issue which from my emails are improperly sized threads or the wrong pitch and possibly both
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Factory 123gr Amax and Eld both function well in mine.  Same poi at 500yd, same accuracy.  Chrono less than 5fps from each other out of my 16" Bartlein at 2450fps.

Keep the faith, it will be worth it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I got some eld and they work in mine. My barrel was before yours so I guess a lot can change in that time.
I can't get mine to group better then 1 3/4 though. I think it's me but I can shoot my other rifles way better. Shit I can almost get those groups with an red dot and m193.
Have you heard anything from PF?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd ask for a refund, talk to your bank/cc issuer about it if PF isn't willing to take it back.

I know my bank has been great in the couple of chargebacks I've done that were only a couple months old.

I got fucked on a suppressor purchase that was 12+ months by the time it was clear I wasn't getting my suppressor and the company went bankrupt, and the bank couldn't do much about that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:47:29 AM EDT
[#15]
ok I think I found a problem with the OAL guage, if I screw the case all the way down it protrudes to far into the case to let the bullet go any deeper the the measurement I posted above. I grinded off the nipple above the threads so that the bullet could drop nearly all the way into the case.

When I rechecked the number I got was 2.248, sorry for any confusion as I have never used this tool and that length was bothering me, still not 100% sure im right but it feels better when i'm doing it. either way PF needs to figure out what to do with this barrel, soon.
View Quote
Are you saying the longest that particular bullet can be seated is giving you an OAL of 2.248" ?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:59:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By glorifiedG:
Are you saying the longest that particular bullet can be seated is giving you an OAL of 2.248" ?
View All Quotes

Yes
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:22:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Well that's no good. I've never heard anyone mention loading long and single feeding but I figured it was possible.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I've heard threading your own case fired in your chamber gives a more accurate reading for headspace.

And using that fired brass to find what a particular bullets base to ogive length would be more accurate .

Can anyone add to this.

Sounds like it was chambered with their own rounds in mind, and minimum spec.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:14:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By smashedminer:
I've heard threading your own case fired in your chamber gives a more accurate reading for headspace.

And using that fired brass to find what a particular bullets base to ogive length would be more accurate .

Can anyone add to this.

Sounds like it was chambered with their own rounds in mind, and minimum spec.

View Quote
There barrel is supposed to be SAAMI spec chamber not their interpretation of said chamber. The Hornady ammo is in spec from everything I have read and measured.  I even contacted hornady and spent 30 minutes on the phone with them about the ammo and this chamber. The simple fact that I can push a factory round into the chamber with 1 finger and not have it drop out even after hitting the end of the upper on a flat surface tells me the issue after much help from the posters in this thread. The chamber is not in spec for whatever reason and will be going back for the second time from one of the most highly touted grendel companies on the net.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:00:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Well that's no good. I've never heard anyone mention loading long and single feeding but I figured it was possible.
View Quote
The Grendel compound throat kind of screws people out of that option. That is why I specifically wanted the Grendel 2 chamber.
In OPs case it sounds especially short.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:36:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Torchy] [#21]
Eh well shit op, sorry to hear. I ordered my G barrel from them in early December and just called him the other day to get an update, got pushed back a lot! Originally quoted 16-18 weeks, now I'm looking at 24 weeks

I spoke to him for a while at SHOT this year and he told me he hired a new machinist to help handle his work load. I wonder if this is the result of the new guy.

Any update?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:34:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cb4017] [#22]
Thought I would mention here I received my 20" PF Criterion 6.5 Grendel barrel and bolt yesterday.  VERY nice looking barrel.  Polished which I didn't expect.  Clearly test fired, no burr at the gas port, chamber nicely done and polished.

I pushed a factory AMAX and ELD round into the chamber and they came out with no drama.  I also tried some 123 gr AMAX and Nosler CC handloads that were loaded to 2.260" had no problems with them.

So I screwed the barrel into an Aero Precision M4E1 enhanced upper.  No problems ejecting live rounds out of the chamber.  I took her out today.  Initially I had some functioning issues, specifically failure to go into battery.  I guessed the extractor was too tight and removed the o-ring from the extractor spring.  No issues after that.

It shot pretty good.  I wasn't trying too hard, being more concerned about functioning.  First 3 rounds through it were at .644".  Last 2 groups were .536" and .732" with the Nosler 123gr CC and 31.2 gr of CFE-223.  I fired a total or 29 rounds, cleaned the barrel several times and saw no sign of copper fouling.

So far I'm satisfied.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By cb4017:
Thought I would mention here I received my 20" PF Criterion 6.5 Grendel barrel and bolt yesterday.  VERY nice looking barrel.  Polished which I didn't expect.  Clearly test fired, no burr at the gas port, chamber nicely done and polished.

I pushed a factory AMAX and ELD round into the chamber and they came out with no drama.  I also tried some 123 gr AMAX and Nosler CC handloads that were loaded to 2.260" had no problems with them.

So I screwed the barrel into an Aero Precision M4E1 enhanced upper.  No problems ejecting live rounds out of the chamber.  I took her out today.  Initially I had some functioning issues, specifically failure to go into battery.  I guessed the extractor was too tight and removed the o-ring from the extractor spring.  No issues after that.

It shot pretty good.  I wasn't trying too hard, being more concerned about functioning.  First 3 rounds through it were at .644".  Last 2 groups were .536" and .732" with the Nosler 123gr CC and 31.2 gr of CFE-223.  I fired a total or 29 rounds, cleaned the barrel several times and saw no sign of copper fouling.

So far I'm satisfied.
View Quote
So I guess Mark did your barrel and not the new guy... I kid I kid

Hope to hear back from you OP and good to hear your recent story. Will you leave the oring out of the extractor for good? What's the fix there?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:07:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Torchy:

So I guess Mark did your barrel and not the new guy... I kid I kid

Hope to hear back from you OP and good to hear your recent story. Will you leave the oring out of the extractor for good? What's the fix there?
View Quote
As far as I'm concerned leaving the o-ring off the spring is the fix.  None of my small frame ARs have an o-ring on the extractor spring.  Except for this one, they all have Colt extractor springs and run fine.  If I start to have issues I think are related to a weak extractor spring I'll replace it with a Colt spring.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#25]
And with mine adding an O-ring fixed my issues  (different components), so whatever works.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Good to know
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Ok I just got the modified grendel case for the hornady OAL guage. I did it about a dozen times and was very light on the pressure and I keep coming up with 2.340. I do not know if this is the number it should be but it is what I am getting with the eld bullet.

I did compare the 123  eld to an 123  amax and oal of the bullet is the same. 1.236, using the number 5  hornady ogive thing on the calipers they both measure out the same at .659-.660

One thing I did and it does not make sense to me is the unfire case is larger then the fired case. The unfired case measure 1.513 and the fired case measures 1.510
View Quote
1) Have you popped the primers out on these cases to measure them?

2) Do you know what reamer PF used to chamber this barrel?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#28]
And with mine adding an O-ring fixed my issues  (different components), so whatever works.
View Quote
The O ring is a band aid for the CLGS M4 with hot ammo, or suppressed, to deal with timing issues.

A RLGS correctly ported and buffered should never need an O ring.

If you do have early unlocking, it needs to be addressed with the port, carrier weight, buffer weight, or adjustable gas.

The AR15 extraction systems works really well when timed correctly.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Going to ask, may be irrelevant here, but, I just got my build out to the range to try.  I was shooting the 123 AMAX out of an Odin Works 18" DMR barrel with an Odin Works adjustable gas block.

With the gas turned off or too low, the cases were sticking and I could not pull them out via the charging handle, I had to tap the charging handle out with a piece of wood.  With the gas turned up, it functioned properly.  I asked Odin Works and they said that is normal and best not to shoot with the gas turned all the way off.  Just curious on thoughts here about that???
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#30]
When you turn off the gas there's nothing to push the bolt carrier group rearward. The adjustable gas block is so you can adjust how much gas instead of all the gas, which may not be needed. Of course gas port size and location effect that too but if they're wrong, you're stuck unless you want more.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Ronnoc:
Going to ask, may be irrelevant here, but, I just got my build out to the range to try.  I was shooting the 123 AMAX out of an Odin Works 18" DMR barrel with an Odin Works adjustable gas block.

With the gas turned off or too low, the cases were sticking and I could not pull them out via the charging handle, I had to tap the charging handle out with a piece of wood.  With the gas turned up, it functioned properly.  I asked Odin Works and they said that is normal and best not to shoot with the gas turned all the way off.  Just curious on thoughts here about that???
View Quote
What happens when you chamber then extract a live round? Does it stick too?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:55:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't think so.  Will need to check for sure when I get back, on the road for work now, but I do not believe that it did.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#33]
OP-

Just getting into this thread.  I've experienced similar issues with my Wilson Arms barrel from JSE.  Factory SSTs and my reloads passed the Wilson case gauge but would "stick" in the chamber as you've described. I got caught up in the red herring of the Type I/II bolt since they switched their chambers sometime between when I bought my barrel and now and so initially I thought I was using the wrong bolt.  One of the things I'm doing in order to have a crystal clear answer to this is renting a set of go/no-go gauges.  They should arrive on Monday.  I found a website "www.reamerrentals.com" where you can rent the gauges for $25 total including shipping both ways instead of having to drop $99 + shipping and backorder to buy a set elsewhere. It's all a PITA but worth it to me to have a clear answer on the chamber.  In all my research, I found that this is a good way to get a definitive answer on whether you're chamber is too short.  If your barrel were to fail the headspace test using go/no-go gauges, I think you'd have a very valid reason for a refund. If it passes the gauges correctly (chambers on go, doesn't chamber on no-go), you've at least eliminated one possible problem.  I'm in the same boat as you - I could've mailed the barrel back and they offered to take it; however I preferred not to break my build apart just yet and like to get things like this figured out on my own.

Also, make sure you clean that chamber out real good.  Don't mean to insult your intelligence here... just another variable you can eliminate.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Those gages don't tell you if the throat is short and that the bullets are tightly jammed into the lands or not.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Lomshek:

What happens when you chamber then extract a live round? Does it stick too?
View Quote
Checked it today and extracts without any problem at all.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Those gages don't tell you if the throat is short and that the bullets are tightly jammed into the lands or not.
View Quote
You're correct.  But they will tell you if the chamber was cut too short at the shoulder which could be the issue.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:51:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#37]
Originally Posted By Chrazy-Chris:

You're correct.  But they will tell you if the chamber was cut too short at the shoulder which could be the issue.
View Quote
OP said it was pulling bullets or was that the other guy? EDIT must have been another guy. This OP said he tried an empty case. 
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:15:15 PM EDT
[#38]
I know it's been awhile since I started this thread and wanted to update it. I was thoroughly at my wits end with this build and just had to walk away from it for awhile. I had knee surgery and then went to Maui for a few weeks to relax and recover.  While I was gone my reloading dies (Redding) came in as well as some components that I had ordered before my trip.

Mark wanted the entire upper and I didn't send it back for 2 reasons, 1 I have zero faith in him or his business at this point, 2 the barrel extension was so loose in the Vltor MUR upper I would compare it to hot dog down the hallway analogy, so the upper got bedded with red high temp permatex threadlocker.

I didn't want him to destroy my upper trying to get the barrel off.  I decided to see how far back I would have to push the bullet back to get proper cycling. I am able to get proper cycling of single rounds when I push the bullet back .005.

The ELD is measuring on average 2.247 and when I take it back to 2.242 I can cycle by hand. I don't know if this is the proper fix and I will have to range test it to make sure but at this point I feel ok with what I have and hope over time I can load a little longer.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:26:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#39]
I know it's been awhile since I started this thread and wanted to update it. I was thoroughly at my wits end with this build and just had to walk away from it for awhile. I had knee surgery and then went to Maui for a few weeks to relax and recover.  While I was gone my reloading dies (Redding) came in as well as some components that I had ordered before my trip.

Mark wanted the entire upper and I didn't send it back for 2 reasons, 1 I have zero faith in him or his business at this point, 2 the barrel extension was so loose in the Vltor MUR upper I would compare it to hot dog down the hallway analogy, so the upper got bedded with red high temp permatex threadlocker.

I didn't want him to destroy my upper trying to get the barrel off.  I decided to see how far back I would have to push the bullet back to get proper cycling. I am able to get proper cycling of single rounds when I push the bullet back .005.

The ELD is measuring on average 2.247 and when I take it back to 2.242 I can cycle by hand. I don't know if this is the proper fix and I will have to range test it to make sure but at this point I feel ok with what I have and hope over time I can load a little longer.
View Quote
.005" into the case shouldn't change pressure very much and you can develop future hand loads based on that length so no issue there.

If you want to shoot factory ammo you surely don't want to have to seat them deeper.

Of course by having to seat the bullet deeper you are leaving less room for powder as well, so potential muzzle velocities will be lower in your handloads.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top