Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2017 1:59:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: andrewz71]
Have been playing with AR15's for along time.  Local dealer carries an assortment of Armalites.  I have a Springfield Loaded M1A in a troy chassis I am tempted to trade in towrds an AR10 platform.  What is the best to start with or build from?  I have looked alot at Aero m5's, but don't want to start with a $4000 Larue or Knights.  I really like the look of the LWRC, or LMT's.  There is 1 or 2 on the EE to buy for less than $3000.  I'm fine with 308 for now then once my good ammo is used up swap barrels to 6.5 creedmoor.  If building from scratch which is the best, whats most interchangeable.  I want solid rifle when done.  If buying a factory complete rifle which brand will work the best to build onto, etc. I Don't want to have to tinker with proprietary issues or something brand interchangeability type issues, etc.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 3:08:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Was in the same boat, finally pulled the trigger and putting together an Aero M5 in 6.5 Creedmor. With Ballistic Advantage 22" barrel, JP Low mass carrier/bolt and SCS, SLR adjustable gas block, Larue MBT and a few other (subjective) parts I'm just above 2k.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 1:17:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I like my LMT MWS.  Stainless 18", it hammers, but the rifle is heavy.  Playing with the Larue Obr now and love the light weight of it.  Have never owned a Lwrc.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:09:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I used a DPMS LR for my build and dont have anything bad to say. Been a great rifle. DPMS barrel extensions have a very good aftermarket support, almost everybody makes something for a DPMS AR-10. I would stay away from armalite solely based on aftermarket component availability. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Same boat, wanting an AR10 just trying to decide what flavor.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Try the new Savage rifles. "Medium" frame .308 and 6.5 CM. And let us know how you like it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:55:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Schwag173] [#6]
The pricetag is hefty, but the LaRue PredatOBR allows you to easily swap barrels & forends.  Talk about versatility.  I once had an M1A (which I loved, but the design was limiting) and am glad I traded/sold up to the LaRue.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:37:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a LMT and a Larue.  I like the Larue twice as much for being lighter, a little more accurate, and just looks cool.

If I had to go to a battle field, I would take the LMT.  It's a proven system for sure.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:11:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I sold my M1A a few years ago to fund an AR10

all of my AR15's are home built.

. . . but since there is no industry standard AR10,  I researched and decided to get an ARMALITE DEFENDER 10

Armalite has a very good reputation for accuracy, reliability, and customer service. they have doing 308 AR's longer than almost everyone.

it take common PMAGS, and brownells 308 mags.

the price was $938 at grabagun

I added an M.I. 15"
JP trigger
BCM furniture.

I really like it.

100% reliable

before mods...

Link Posted: 3/23/2017 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I know you said no LaRue but if you want a 308 and maybe a 260 or 6.5 down the road the PredatOBR with the barrel change system is amazing. They are $3370 not quite $4k. New drop in barrels are $1k. I can attest to the ease in swapping barrels out. Also the accuracy and repeatably is impressive.

Side note I don't think I would build my own 308 or whatever AR platform. I'm sure you know the ar10 really doesn't have a mil spec. Also, after taking a few armors classes I have a real respect for my limitations and the care that goes into a precision rifle. YMMV. Good luck on your choice.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:17:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC_JA] [#10]
I recently took the AR10 plunge and went full house with a JP.    I struggled for a long time to decide what I wanted until I read somewhere that when it comes to AR10's, like most other choices, it is helpful to decide what role you want the AR10 to play.   IIRC, there are three general categories:

1. Precision rifle
2. Battle rifle
3. Hybrid of 1 and 2

Obviously, the categories are not hard and fast and there can be bleed over between them.   But weight, builder reputation, barrel length, barrel profile, and barrel material may rule out certain rifles depending upon your end goals.

Thinking about it this way helped me narrow the choices for what I wanted in the gun and which gun I eventually purchased.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:10:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't get me wrong, I love Larue products.  I just don't know if I wanted to take the $$$ plunge yet.  It would be my most expensive rifle to date, my Ruger RPR 6.5 with razor gen 2 was $2900.   Watching the ee it looks like they hold their value more so than others.  Was hoping to trade as well as The M1A is pretty much a safe queen. But Thanks for all the advice.  I think I'll keep watching the ee and jump when the right deal comes up for an obr.  Maybe trade the M1A for cans, scope or accessories and ammo, etc.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:34:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I built mine almost ten tears ago. I used Noveske barrels and Armalite uppers/lowers. I actually like the steel Armalite magazines over anything plastic. I paid $25.00 apiece for them on sale and bought plenty.

Part of the problem, as you're finding out, is that lots of companies have jumped on board and it makes logistics more complicated. I would probably consider KAC and LMT in addition to Armalite simply because they have rifles adopted by some nations for service duty. Since so many patterns exist in the market place the choice is not cut and dried like AR15's.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By USMC_JA:
I recently took the AR10 plunge and went full house with a JP.    I struggled for a long time to decide what I wanted until I read somewhere that when it comes to AR10's, like most other choices, it is helpful to decide what role you want the AR10 to play.   IIRC, there are three general categories:

1. Precision rifle
2. Battle rifle
3. Hybrid of 1 and 2

Obviously, the categories are not hard and fast and there can be bleed over between them.   But weight, builder reputation, barrel length, barrel profile, and barrel material may rule out certain rifles depending upon your end goals.

Thinking about it this way helped me narrow the choices for what I wanted in the gun and which gun I eventually purchased.
View Quote
I did this too. I never had a "premium" rifle before, but I eventually just decided to drop the money on a nice one and holding it next to a cheaper (~$2000 rifle) really shows the difference. Lightest 308 AR I've ever held, smooth shooting, comfortable, etc. If you want a really nice rifle, then I'd consider spending the extra coin on a high-end one, whether that's LaRue, JP, GAP, etc
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:23:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I went through the same stages many years ago.

ArmaLite AR10T 24"
DPMS LR-308 24"
DPMS LR-260 24"
GAP Built .308 on DPMS receivers, Obermeyer barrel (reliable, laser accurate)
GAP Built .260 Rem on DPMS receivers, Bartlein barrel (reliable, laser accurate at 1000yds)

The ArmaLite factory rifle was very nice, super accurate, no reliability problems.

The DPMS factory guns had reliability/durability problems right out of the gate.

The GAP-built guns run and shoot.

All of them were/are way too heavy for most of what I want to do, and I only kept the .260 Rem Bartlein barreled GAP.

I shoot AR15 6.5 Grendel more than any of them, and keep building more Grendels.

I'm very interested in the Savage MSR-10 in 6.5 Creedmoor, because it handles like an AR15, has cylinder adjustable gas, extended length gas system.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a LMT MWS and it's pretty good.  A buddy at work just traded for a 6.5 creedmore.  Aero precision upper, lower and rail.  Proof SS barrel.  He's getting some super tight groups.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top