Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2017 5:04:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ChevelleDave]
I just did some upgrades to my "precision AR", and have a few questions.

A list of the parts.

ARFCOM billet upper and lower
WOA 20" SDM barrel SS 1:7 Wylde chamber
BCM BCG
Giessele SDE trigger
B.A.D.-ASS-ST safety
XLR Tactical AR Buttstock
JBillet 17" handguard
Atlas Bi-pod
Athlon Argos 6X24X50, I also have a Burris 5X25X50 I may try out.

I just added the WOA barrel, previously I had a cheap AR Stoner barrel on it. All I'll be doing with this gun is shooting 1-300 yards, mostly from  a bench. Sometimes going over to a friends property and shooting some steel at longer ranges.

I guess my two main questions would be:

1) Is there a specific buffer system that would be advantageous to accuracy? I have several different Carbine buffer springs, and all weights of buffers up to a Spike's T2. I also ended up with a JP silent captured buffer and spring pack.

2) Muzzle device, I got several ranging from cheap brakes to a Seekins, and a Hera arms blast forwarding device. I kind of like the Hera, little easier on the ears, and it doesn't blow my notebook off the bench. What, if any effects would different muzzle devices have on accuracy?

3) Here it comes..........Barrel break in. I know there are many different schools of thoughts on this subject, from just shoot it, to clean it 50 times, then every 5 shots, every 10 shots etc. I read what WOA says, which isn't too much in the way of instructions, I'm not going to lap it or anything like that. I'm kind of thinking just clean it after each of the first 5 shots in case there is anything that may be in there. I don't think there is, but I can't see how it could hurt. Then maybe every 5th shot for a time or two, by this time I'll have 50 or so rounds down the barrel. I just know not to overheat it right off the bat. Cleaning it a few times at the start could be a good way to pace the shots at the beginning, IDK, I think you know what I'm saying.

That's bout all I can think off right now, any ideas or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:06:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner] [#1]
Some folks believe in breaking in a barrel, others say just go shoot it.  Some of that depends on the type of barrel and how it was made...also what steps if any the maker put into it (lapping etc).  I was always curious what was the best approach and why...after all breaking a barrel in can take a good amount of time/effort.

Don't take my word for it, because I sure don't know all the answers ...but, here is what Lilja and Krieger say about it on their websites...I'd say those are a couple of good references to go by...

Lilja

Krieger
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 1:21:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm building an AR sort of along the same lines as you. Armalite has a barrel break-in for their Target barrel on their website. Just another source.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies.

I have read Lilja and Kriegers recommendations as well as many others.

Maybe one day this week I will call WOA. The explanation on their site is pretty broad, I just wanna treat this barrel well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top