Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2017 4:54:44 PM EDT
I'm a fan of the 2 stage where I can "pull" through that first stage and be close to the break. I'm currently using a Geissele SSA-E and love it. Any other recommendations from the hive? I recently tried a Wilson 3G but it honestly felt like a single stage which I do not care for on a precision rifle.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:02:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Larue MBT has a little more second stage pull weight than the SSA-E but about the same overall weight. Add the heavier trigger spring and overall weight is like the SSA. Very crisp break and great bang for buck.

If you like the SSA-E feel with the 1.2lb second stage look at the Geissele B-G2S-E. It is a brownells exclusive that uses the cost saving techniques of the G2S with the SSA-E pull weights.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:16:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the SSA-E and a RRA 2-stage trigger.  I really like both.  I can't tell too much of a difference between the two, honestly.  I've sat down and dry fired both side-by-side and hardly noticed a difference.  But from what others have said in the past, the RRA will get a little spongy after many, many thousands of rounds (which I don't see myself making it that far to tell).
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:26:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
Larue MBT has a little more second stage pull weight than the SSA-E but about the same overall weight. Add the heavier trigger spring and overall weight is like the SSA. Very crisp break and great bang for buck.

If you like the SSA-E feel with the 1.2lb second stage look at the Geissele B-G2S-E. It is a brownells exclusive that uses the cost saving techniques of the G2S with the SSA-E pull weights.
View Quote

I've got several MBTs on other builds and they are outstanding. It just didn't feel as good as the SSA-E on my precision build. I'm looking for an extremely light 2 stage or at least a very light 2nd stage break.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#4]
SSA-E, B-G2S-E or go all out and get a High Speed Match. Ive got the second stage set around 4oz on my high speed match triggers.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#5]
SSA-E, B-G2S-E or go all out and get a High Speed Match. Ive got the second stage set around 4oz on my high speed match triggers.
View Quote

I've considered trying the Hi-Speed Match or DMR. May have to give one a shot.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:06:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

View Quote

I have an SSA-E and High Speed Match DMR. The SSA-E is very nice and the DMR is on another level you'll love it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:40:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bumblebee_Bob] [#7]

I've got several MBTs on other builds and they are outstanding. It just didn't feel as good as the SSA-E on my precision build. I'm looking for an extremely light 2 stage or at least a very light 2nd stage break.
View Quote

Then you want the Geissele High Speed trigger in either the DMR or Target configuration.  The High Speed line is fully adjustable for first and second stage pull weights.

Looks like I'm sucking hind tit again.  As said, the High Speed line is some beyond the SSA-E.  My DMR comes to a very solid stop and a very light, crisp second stage.  They are wonderful.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Another satisfied LaRue MBT user.  If you're not in a hurry they are hard to beat for the price.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:18:36 PM EDT
[#9]
OP, I think you already have the best trigger for your application -- the SSA-E.   That 1.2 lb second stage is amazing.  And it is so easy to hold at the end of the first stage while you get your breathing, sight picture finalized.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I have both the MBT-2s and SSA-E, and a bunch of milspec triggers I've either stoned myself or someone else stoned them.

The LaRue trigger doesn't have defined "stages" like the SSA-E does. The MBT-2s feels like a glass trigger with a lot of take up, there's a slight "ridge" in the force curve where you can feel when it's about to break. The width of the trigger doesn't fit my hands well, and the sharp edges on it aren't really my thing. There's a nice loud disconnector click that you can feel though the trigger and the actual reset is very crisp and there's no creep on reset.  It's a good trigger, much better than an out of the box milspec trigger and still better than a cleaned up and stoned milspec trigger.

The SSA-E has a predictable break, without the ridge. You feel the amount of force required to move it change and can always find it again. The pull is smooth and breaks cleanly, the reset is subtle, but you know it's there. It always resets in the same place every single time. I prefer the SSA-E out of the two.

Don't get me wrong, Mark's trigger is nice. Bill's trigger is just nicer. They're both nicer than the nicest milspec trigger, and either will be a step up from that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#11]
You may take a look at timney they have 2 new drop in 2 stage triggers on the market. One has a long first stage pull and the other has a short first stage pull. Both have an option for a straight trigger bow as well. Pretty good bang for your buck at $189.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:04:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Dmr if you want better.  Like a fine bolt gun trigger.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:35:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By cb4017:
Another satisfied LaRue MBT user.  If you're not in a hurry they are hard to beat for the price.
View Quote

This, I have both SSAs and the MBT and will take the MBT first, great take up and crisp 2nd stage break.

The best trigger I own is my Timney in a bolt gun, whole different category though...

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I have MBT2, SD-E and HI Speed Nation Match on several rifles. All are excellent but you do get what you pay for. The Geissele HS Natl Match is the best I ever fingered.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:07:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I  have  three SSA-E, a MBT and a Rock River.   All three are good but my favorite is the SSA-E.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:12:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I ordered the G Hi Speed NM today. I was hoping to avoid an adjustable trigger but I think my options are extremely limited and this fits the bill. I'm looking forward to tuning it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:20:34 PM EDT
[#17]
They're nice. I think you will be happy with it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:17:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Well I got the NM trigger in and I don't think it's for me. Don't get me wrong it felt nice but I really think after all this trigger searching I'm just going to stick with the SSA-E. It's stupid easy to drop in and go with no adjustments.. I think the weight is excellent. Not too light and not too heavy.

Sometimes the grass isn't greener. I certainly appreciate all the feedback and suggestions especially on a topic as subjective as triggers.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I feel like I'm the only person on the planet who doesn't care for Geissele's, except for the hi-speed NM. Give me an MBT any day of the week, or, preferably, a JP single stage.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Blazin_Bill:
I feel like I'm the only person on the planet who doesn't care for Geissele's, except for the hi-speed NM. Give me an MBT any day of the week, or, preferably, a JP single stage.
View Quote

I like the MBT on every other rifle I have but I prefer the SSA-E on the precision build.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:00:30 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I have the DMR.
2lb first stage and 8oz second. It makes it easy to brake the shot.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:24:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I switched from an SSE to the national match. I have it set for 2 pounds & .4 oz. It took some getting used to but I love it.
I recently swapped in a different lower ( to function check) that has an AR Gold trigger in it which is 3 pounds. It felt pretty heavy compared to the NM!

The NM is worth it IMO. Watch Bills 30 minute YouTube video of how to install ad adjust it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:55:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: uplandgunner] [#23]
G High speed national match, I just picked one up from PSA on sale for 219.00 this weekend
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:09:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Which Geissele 2 stage with a flat bow has the lightest 2nd stage?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:32:23 PM EDT
[#25]
can anybody tell me what trigger to get if I want the stage weights and break of the SSA-E but with a stronger reset spring?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:21:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By uplandgunner:
G High speed national match, I just picked one up from PSA on sale for 219.00 this weekend
View Quote
Thanks, I picked up one just now at that sale price.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:52:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Bumblebee_Bob:

Then you want the Geissele High Speed trigger in either the DMR or Target configuration.  The High Speed line is fully adjustable for first and second stage pull weights.

Looks like I'm sucking hind tit again.  As said, the High Speed line is some beyond the SSA-E.  My DMR comes to a very solid stop and a very light, crisp second stage.  They are wonderful.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bumblebee_Bob:

This^^
1.5 first stage stop then 1/2 lb second. No creep, it just breaks. Amazing
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:59:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By spartacus2002:
can anybody tell me what trigger to get if I want the stage weights and break of the SSA-E but with a stronger reset spring?
View Quote
MBT-2S with the light spring
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:54:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By AWDeity:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AWDeity:
That would be wrong.  Larue's heavy spring is 6 lbs.  The light one is 4.5 total with a 2 pound second stage.

SSA-E is 3.5 lbs total and only 1.2 lbs second stage.  This is a big difference.  Larue does not make an SSA-E equivalent.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:49:26 AM EDT
[#30]
If you are already using an an SSA-E, you have the best 2-stage trigger IMO.

I like my MBT too though. It's great for a DMR type rifle IMO. For dedicated precision, I prefer the SSA-E though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Well I got the NM trigger in and I don't think it's for me. Don't get me wrong it felt nice but I really think after all this trigger searching I'm just going to stick with the SSA-E. It's stupid easy to drop in and go with no adjustments.. I think the weight is excellent. Not too light and not too heavy.

Sometimes the grass isn't greener. I certainly appreciate all the feedback and suggestions especially on a topic as subjective as triggers.
View Quote
I'm in the same boat as you, I had a DMR when they first came out and last year I got a SSA and I love it. Now all !my triggers are either SSA, G2S or an Armalite. They all feel about the same
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:21:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Ghostface:

I'm in the same boat as you, I had a DMR when they first came out and last year I got a SSA and I love it. Now all !my triggers are either SSA, G2S or an Armalite. They all feel about the same
View Quote
I don't have a Geissele, but just got in an MBT form their trigger-TAC sale.

It's about on par with my Armalite, but I like the wider surface of the Larue
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:21:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By MS556:

That would be wrong.  Larue's heavy spring is 6 lbs.  The light one is 4.5 total with a 2 pound second stage.

SSA-E is 3.5 lbs total and only 1.2 lbs second stage.  This is a big difference.  Larue does not make an SSA-E equivalent.
View Quote
Agreed. Have 3x MBTs, 2x SSA, and 2x SSA-E. I'd put the MBT on par with the SSA with an edge to the MBT. SSA-E's usually gauge a full pound or slightly more lighter than either on the break.

Of course, any of them can vary a bit from trigger to trigger and with the receiver you put them in. Have one MBT in an older OBR that breaks at 5 lbs with the light spring and another in a different rifle that breaks under 4 with the light spring.

MBT is probably the best value of the three at sale or "I can wait" prices.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By deezbill:
I have the SSA-E and a RRA 2-stage trigger.  I really like both.  I can't tell too much of a difference between the two, honestly.  I've sat down and dry fired both side-by-side and hardly noticed a difference.  But from what others have said in the past, the RRA will get a little spongy after many, many thousands of rounds (which I don't see myself making it that far to tell).
View Quote
Of course, you can get an RRA Varmint 2-stage trigger for under $90 delivered, while the SSA-E is more like $230-240.  I'm a fan of the RRA and have them in 3 of my builds.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#35]
I run SSA-E, DMR, and High Speed.  I also have an SD-C and LaRue MBT that are waiting to be installed.  I really liked the SSA-E as that and the SSA were my first "high end" triggers.  I ended up getting rid of the SSA as I much preferred the SSA-E.  I tried a High Speed, and I love it, but it's almost too light for anything other than a precision work.  I tried the DMR and I've now found my favorite trigger.  I run one in my DPMS GII 308 and my 5.56 RECCE.  I really like the overall weight and the 2nd stage breaking weight.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:54:05 AM EDT
[#36]
The G High Speed is real nice, got one. The Wilson Combat 2 stage drop in is excellent as well.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:43:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By JayC:
Of course, you can get an RRA Varmint 2-stage trigger for under $90 delivered, while the SSA-E is more like $230-240.  I'm a fan of the RRA and have them in 3 of my builds.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JayC:
Yeah, if I do another build, I will go with the RRA probably.  The price difference isn't worth it to me for the SSA-E.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:17:44 AM EDT
[#38]

Yeah, if I do another build, I will go with the RRA probably.  The price difference isn't worth it to me for the SSA-E.
View Quote
RRA will never get another cent from me after what they pulled in IL
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By roamin:
I have an SSA-E and High Speed Match DMR. The SSA-E is very nice and the DMR is on another level you'll love it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By roamin:

I also have quite a few various Geiselle triggers and agree that you should give the High Speed or DMR a try. It looks as if fits your needs perfect given the fact that you already have the SSA-E and want something lighter.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By sea2summit:

RRA will never get another cent from me after what they pulled in IL
View Quote
Didn't know about that until you mentioned it and I looked it up...

I may rethink that now...
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:32:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BabaLooey] [#41]
I like the Ruger Elite 452, not as good or as light as some mentioned above, but much less expensive ($100 @ CTD Ruger Elite 452).
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:56:05 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a couple of KAC 2-stages I got used on the EE. I haven't seen a good reason to spend money on Geissele yet.

I did have a RRA 2 stage at one point that was creepy so I dumped that.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:01:42 AM EDT
[#43]
You may want to look at AR Gold.  It has a set up like a 1911 trigger, can be set up very light and is very safe. I run them in all of my ARs and find them to be outstanding in precision builds.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:12:58 AM EDT
[#44]
I just bought a High Speed National Match trigger... Tried it over the weekend.

It makes my MBT and SSA both feel like an AK47 trigger.

It makes my SSA-E feel like a standard AR parts-kit trigger.

It's niiiiiice. Try one.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By awptickes:
I just bought a High Speed National Match trigger... Tried it over the weekend.

It makes my MBT and SSA both feel like an AK47 trigger.

It makes my SSA-E feel like a standard AR parts-kit trigger.

It's niiiiiice. Try one.
View Quote
Link?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#46]

Link?
View Quote
Very nice triggers.

https://geissele.com/hi-speed-national-match-trigger-set.html
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#47]

Link?
View Quote

https://geissele.com/hi-speed-national-match-trigger-set.html

You can find it cheaper from other retailers, but if you order from Geissele it will come with all three spring sets (Service Rifle, DMR, National Match).  Spring sets include different trigger and disco springs.

I use the NM springs exclusively.  My 1st stage is 1.75lbs, my second stage is 8 ounces.  It's like having a fine bolt gun trigger with firm break, that's also safe if it gets bumped or the rifle dropped.  

Watch Bill's video on youtube.  He tells you exactly how to adjust it to your preference.  It isn't complicated.

tip:  When bending springs to reduce first stage weight (if you decide to), avoid the temptation to bend the shit out of them.  It doesn't take much to bring the 1st stage down, not to mention you'll need enough tension in the spring to reset the trigger.  The second stage is a cakewalk to adjust.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#48]
I have mine at stock settings, DMR spring weight, with only the take-up modified.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Larue has the MBT for $99 again...
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By sea2summit:
Larue has the MBT for $99 again...
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top