User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2017 10:27:55 AM EDT
Adjustable gas blocks recommendations for 22" 6.5 CM with Saker 7.62 can
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#1]
SLR Rifleworks.  Easy peasy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#2]
SLR makes the highest quality lowest profile block I've seen. You want low profile in order to have clearance inside the rail especially if going with heavier barrel profile. Leaving the gas block exposed outside the rail can create reliability issues should it get bumped and knocked of center.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:37:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Odin Works block should get a mention.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:37:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Ive had my JP the longest and its still gojng strong, next is my POF dictator then the joe bob i just put on my 7.5 sbr.  the POF is on my 10.5 sbr where as the jp is on my precision 308 ar w/ saker.  the joe bob was like $30 and while i only have about 200 rounds through it, its doing its job.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By scott69916:
View Quote
Just my opinion. . But I loved my Odin works. Until I bought an SLR
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:37:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for SLR.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:18:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I have
4 SLR
1 Syrac
1 Micro MOA
2 Joe Bobs
1 Superlative piston

The SLR is the best.  I have said here many times I thought Syrac and SLR were equivalent, but now my Syrac is locking up often and has to be "freed".  In its defense it has around 1000 rounds and none of the SLR's have over 200.

Superlative arms is popular now, but I don't have one.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:29:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm going to piggyback on this thread because I'm looking for something similar for a 6mm creedmoor build. I want:

Clamp on
Infinite adjustment
Steel
Max velocity

I have owned the SLR and they are great gas blocks but I don't like detent adjustments. Also all mine are locked up.

The JP's are aluminum for the .936" gas blocks and I don't quite trust that.

The superlative bleed off block causes a velocity loss compared to other blocks and I need as much velocity as I can get.

At the moment I don't know of any that fit all these requirements.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:17:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveS] [#10]
Originally Posted By roamin:
SLR makes the highest quality lowest profile block I've seen. You want low profile in order to have clearance inside the rail especially if going with heavier barrel profile. Leaving the gas block exposed outside the rail can create reliability issues should it get bumped and knocked of center.
View Quote
A barrel will bend before a properly tightened clamp-on gb moves.

I have 3 Syrac clamp-ons and need to order 4 SLRs for builds sitting in the basement.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DaveS:

I have 3 Syrac clamp-ons and need to order 4 SLRs for builds sitting in the basement.
View Quote
Agree. And with the OP going with 6.5 creedmoor, chances are it will be a +2 gas system and exposed outside handguard.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:32:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Another vote for SLR. I chose that over Odin works for the slightly better finish look and I chose it over the JP (And I love JP stuff) because I dont like the look of 4 screws on the JP. 2 screws is more than enough, I think the JP GB looks tacky with 4 screws on the bottom.

Yes, looks matter to me. 
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 2:38:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: roamin] [#13]
Originally Posted By DaveS:

View Quote
Exposed clamp style gas blocks on serious purpose use rifes are unacceptable.

Please explain in technical terms how that the force required to bend a barrel is less than clamping force of a gas block.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:23:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lennyo3034] [#14]

Exposed clamp style gas blocks on serious purpose use rifes are unacceptable.

Please explain in technical terms how that the force required to bend a barrel is less than clamping force of a gas block.
View Quote
I don't think the OPs 22" creedmoor will be used on a serious (combat) use rifle. Mine certainly won't.

I just pulled a gas block that was attached only via friction fit around barrel. Carbon had sealed it in place and I had to clamp the block and use serious mechanical force (after soaking in kroil) to get it to move.

A barrel will not bend first but a clamp on style is still plenty strong for civilian use.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 4:50:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: roamin] [#15]
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:

I don't think the OPs 22" creedmoor will be used on a serious (combat) use rifle. Mine certainly won't.

I just pulled a gas block that was attached only via friction fit around barrel. Carbon had sealed it in place and I had to clamp the block and use serious mechanical force (after soaking in kroil) to get it to move.

A barrel will not bend first but a clamp on style is still plenty strong for civilian use.
View Quote
Reguardless of if the rifle will or won't be used for a serious role most of us want it to be capable of handling the task anyway I know I do. Even For hunting having a gas block shift could be consequential.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:06:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#16]
I'm going to piggyback on this thread because I'm looking for something similar for a 6mm creedmoor build. I want:

Clamp on
Infinite adjustment
Steel
Max velocity

I have owned the SLR and they are great gas blocks but I don't like detent adjustments. Also all mine are locked up.

The superlative bleed off block causes a velocity loss compared to other blocks and I need as much velocity as I can get.

View Quote
I've only put about 200rds down range with my .936 JP on my 6.5 creed, but I've not had an issue. I liked it enough that I'm in the process of changing out all of my .750 adj gas blocks to JP's. I'm running 17.25" rails, so my GB's are protected from beating and banging on barricades.

Edit: just be sure to order a 6/32 tap so that you can make the system adjustable!
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Reguardless of if the rifle will or won't be used for a serious role most of us want it to be capable of handling the task anyway I know I do. Even For hunting having a gas block shift could be consequential.
View Quote
I suppose at that point is just as realistic to plan for all out nuclear war and choose a caliber you can easily scrounge. Better stick with either 30-06, 308 or 556. Best to ditch the Creedmoor.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
I suppose at that point is just as realistic to plan for all out nuclear war and choose a caliber you can easily scrounge. Better stick with either 30-06, 308 or 556. Best to ditch the Creedmoor.
View Quote
Actually it's best to just build the weapon properly and cover the gas block. There is something that degrades my opinion of a gun that Is it isn't capable of hard use because it makes me feel like it's just a toy and I don't respect owniing it as much.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#19]
SLR
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm about to finish my creedmoor build.  It's getting a .936 SLR.

I've got three other SLR blocks and never had a problem.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:21:45 AM EDT
[#21]

Actually it's best to just build the weapon properly and cover the gas block. There is something that degrades my opinion of a gun that Is it isn't capable of hard use because it makes me feel like it's just a toy and I don't respect owniing it as much.
View Quote
No , its silly. You can try to justify it all you want though, its your rifle.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:30:54 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote
It actually doesn't take that much force to shift a gas block.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:15:46 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
While I prefer that mine are covered, I wouldn't be overly concerned about an exposed gas block that was properly clamped or set screwed to the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:43:59 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote
I dont doubt that, but it also seems to fall in the realm of "I dont use glass optics because I dont want the glass to break" or "I dont use optics with a battery because what if the battery is dead".

Theres what can happen, and theres whats likely to happen. Of all the failures I've seen I've never seen a gas block get knocked out of alignment and cause a rifle to go down. For that matter I've never heard listed as a valid concern until now. 

That said a clamp on fixed front site would be far more susceptible to that certainly, but a low pro clamp on gas block? I simply dismiss your concerns as not realistic. Not because it *cant* happen, but because its very very very unlikely to happen.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:48:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: roamin] [#25]
I dont doubt that, but it also seems to fall in the realm of "I dont use glass optics because I dont want the glass to break" or "I dont use optics with a battery because what if the battery is dead".

Theres what can happen, and theres whats likely to happen. Of all the failures I've seen I've never seen a gas block get knocked out of alignment and cause a rifle to go down. For that matter I've never heard listed as a valid concern until now. 

That said a clamp on fixed front site would be far more susceptible to that certainly, but a low pro clamp on gas block? I simply dismiss your concerns as not realistic. Not because it *cant* happen, but because its very very very unlikely to happen.
View Quote
So you agree that it doesn't take that much force to shift an exposed gas block, there you have it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:43:46 PM EDT
[#26]

So you agree that it doesn't take that much force to shift an exposed gas block, there you have it.
View Quote

Yeah, ok
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:55:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Yeah, ok
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yeah, ok
In your own words, yeah. Here's a recap try and follow along.

I dont doubt that
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#28]
OP

SLR is what you're looking for. I have 5 and treat them all the same. Every 100ish rounds (I only shoot suppressed) you have to adjust them lock to lock then back to your normal setting or they will lock up.

That can be said with any adjustable GB though. SLR is just the easiest to adjust.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#29]

In your own words, yeah. Here's a recap try and follow along.
View Quote
Oh, I'm laughing because you consider that your argument is somehow suddenly valid because I agree it probably doesnt take a large amount of force to shift a gas block. It would be similar to if I said "Yes, it would only take a small nuke to shut down a city" and you turn around and say "See? I'm right! You should build a bomb shelter!"

You obviously simply ignored the other important bit of my reply. Here, I'll provide it again....

• Theres what can happen, and theres whats likely to happen. 
As I said, its your rifle build it as you feel necessary. But to say that something thats almost impossible to have happen is justification for a certain build style is simply silly. You could just as easily claim that someone should wear a full face mask when shooting because your rifle might blow up. Or just as much claim a person should never, ever use any optic outside of iron sights because glass might break if you drop it. I have no doubt whatsoever I can find more pictures of rifles that blew up that I can of rifles with misaligned low profile gas blocks due to being slammed into a wall.

So if you want to stand by the claim of not having an exposed gas block by extension you should least stand by the claim to not use optics since glass can break, and I would also expect you to stand by the claim that you should wear protection in the event your rifle blows up. Both of those scenarios are more probable than bashing your gas block out of alignment. 
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 7:10:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: smokinghole] [#30]
You'll break an AR15 upper before you move a clamp on gasblock.  I couldn't find an AR10 example but I'm sure the results would be similar.  Here is a copy/paste from Military Moron. I have all clamp on gasblock because they're fine. Many motorcycles use clamps similar for the steering to front fork attachment.  

Torque Test - Since the Vltor VST-1C has provisions for a QD sling swivel, some people have brought up concerns that attaching a sling to the gas block might cause it to rotate, thereby rendering the weapon inoperable. I asked the guys at Vltor if they were willing to perform a test that would quantify the force needed to move/rotate one of their gas blocks and they were open to it. An impact test would simulate a sharp knock on the gas block, such as banging it against a metal door when exiting a vehicle. However, an impact test requires a specialized instrumented setup which was unavailable and is much more complicated to set up as there are so many more variables (what the gas block hits, how fast is it moving, how much weight if behind it etc). So we decided on a torque test, which was measurable and relatively easy to setup. This would provide a number which some enterprising individual might use for further calculations (not me) if they wanted to. We also wondered the sight block would move before damage to the barrel or receiver would happen.
The test, as performed and written up by Vltor is as follows:
Vltor VST-1C Development Testing: Security of clamp mounting system.

The Vltor VST-1C folding front sight was tested to determine the amount of torque needed to cause the sight to rotate, when mounted to the barrel. Testing was unable to determine the torque measurement, as the upper receiver and barrel indexing pin failed before any sight movement.
To conduct the test, a Milspec A4 style upper receiver was assembled with a take-off M4 heavy barrel. A standard barrel nut was torqued three times to 30 f/lbs, then torqued to align the first gas tube notch after a torque wrench reading of 40 f/lbs, the gas tube was not installed.
The following comments correspond to the numbered photos below:
1, 2 - This upper receiver and barrel were clamped into a clamshell type holder.
3 - A production release Vltor VST-1C sight was taken apart, and the sight base portion was modified by welding a barrel wrench extension to it.
4, 5 - The standard fixed sight tower was removed from the barrel and the surface cleaned, the cuts for the original cross pins were not filled in. The modified Vltor VST sight base was installed and the clamp bolts torqued as per the installation instructions.
6 - A witness mark was made on the barrel and the front sight base.
7 - A torque wrench was used to turn try to turn the barrel in the same direction as tightening the barrel nut. There were four test torques conducted with increasing break point of torque. The results were:
30 ft-lbs – Some flexing of the barrel, no noticeable rotation.
50 ft-lbs – Noticeable flexing of the barrel, no noticeable rotation.
80 ft-lbs – Dramatic flexing of the barrel, some slight rotating of the barrel.
100 ft-lbs – Dramatic flexing of the barrel, permanent rotation of the barrel.
All torque readings were set on the wrench scale; actual torque values would be approximately 10% higher, due to the mechanical extension of the modified sight base.
8 - Testing was stopped after the fourth test (100 ft-lbs), due to obvious permanent damage to the upper receiver/barrel.
9 - Inspection showed that the front sight base had not moved.
10 - Removal of the barrel nut showed that the barrel index pin had been partially sheared, and that the indexing slot in the upper receiver was permanently deformed.
11 - Removal of the barrel and the index pin better shows the damage.
12 - Closeup of partially sheared barrel index pin after removal.
Conclusion - The test clearly shows that the Vltor VST-1C sight attachment will hold against rotational torque beyond that which will cause catastrophic failure of the barrel index pin and upper receiver index notch.
While the primary purpose of the barrel index pin is not to prevent rotation of the barrel, it is clear that the mounting system used with the Vltor VST-1C sight is clearly strong enough when properly installed to hold the sight in position against forces well beyond those that would cause damage to the base rifle. This may also be true of other manufacture’s clamping sight mount system.

http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.optics2.html
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 2:13:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By smokinghole:
You'll break an AR15 upper before you move a clamp on gasblock.  I couldn't find an AR10 example but I'm sure the results would be similar.  Here is a copy/paste from Military Moron. I have all clamp on gasblock because they're fine. Many motorcycles use clamps similar for the steering to front fork attachment.  

Torque Test - Since the Vltor VST-1C has provisions for a QD sling swivel, some people have brought up concerns that attaching a sling to the gas block might cause it to rotate, thereby rendering the weapon inoperable. I asked the guys at Vltor if they were willing to perform a test that would quantify the force needed to move/rotate one of their gas blocks and they were open to it. An impact test would simulate a sharp knock on the gas block, such as banging it against a metal door when exiting a vehicle. However, an impact test requires a specialized instrumented setup which was unavailable and is much more complicated to set up as there are so many more variables (what the gas block hits, how fast is it moving, how much weight if behind it etc). So we decided on a torque test, which was measurable and relatively easy to setup. This would provide a number which some enterprising individual might use for further calculations (not me) if they wanted to. We also wondered the sight block would move before damage to the barrel or receiver would happen.
The test, as performed and written up by Vltor is as follows:
Vltor VST-1C Development Testing: Security of clamp mounting system.

The Vltor VST-1C folding front sight was tested to determine the amount of torque needed to cause the sight to rotate, when mounted to the barrel. Testing was unable to determine the torque measurement, as the upper receiver and barrel indexing pin failed before any sight movement.
To conduct the test, a Milspec A4 style upper receiver was assembled with a take-off M4 heavy barrel. A standard barrel nut was torqued three times to 30 f/lbs, then torqued to align the first gas tube notch after a torque wrench reading of 40 f/lbs, the gas tube was not installed.
The following comments correspond to the numbered photos below:
1, 2 - This upper receiver and barrel were clamped into a clamshell type holder.
3 - A production release Vltor VST-1C sight was taken apart, and the sight base portion was modified by welding a barrel wrench extension to it.
4, 5 - The standard fixed sight tower was removed from the barrel and the surface cleaned, the cuts for the original cross pins were not filled in. The modified Vltor VST sight base was installed and the clamp bolts torqued as per the installation instructions.
6 - A witness mark was made on the barrel and the front sight base.
7 - A torque wrench was used to turn try to turn the barrel in the same direction as tightening the barrel nut. There were four test torques conducted with increasing break point of torque. The results were:
30 ft-lbs – Some flexing of the barrel, no noticeable rotation.
50 ft-lbs – Noticeable flexing of the barrel, no noticeable rotation.
80 ft-lbs – Dramatic flexing of the barrel, some slight rotating of the barrel.
100 ft-lbs – Dramatic flexing of the barrel, permanent rotation of the barrel.
All torque readings were set on the wrench scale; actual torque values would be approximately 10% higher, due to the mechanical extension of the modified sight base.
8 - Testing was stopped after the fourth test (100 ft-lbs), due to obvious permanent damage to the upper receiver/barrel.
9 - Inspection showed that the front sight base had not moved.
10 - Removal of the barrel nut showed that the barrel index pin had been partially sheared, and that the indexing slot in the upper receiver was permanently deformed.
11 - Removal of the barrel and the index pin better shows the damage.
12 - Closeup of partially sheared barrel index pin after removal.
Conclusion - The test clearly shows that the Vltor VST-1C sight attachment will hold against rotational torque beyond that which will cause catastrophic failure of the barrel index pin and upper receiver index notch.
While the primary purpose of the barrel index pin is not to prevent rotation of the barrel, it is clear that the mounting system used with the Vltor VST-1C sight is clearly strong enough when properly installed to hold the sight in position against forces well beyond those that would cause damage to the base rifle. This may also be true of other manufacture’s clamping sight mount system.

http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.optics2.html
View Quote
Careful, you'll see the argument change from "Cover the gas block to prevent shifting" to "Cover the gas block to prevent bending the barrel"!!

Link Posted: 7/3/2017 4:03:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Clamp on
Infinite adjustment
Steel
Max velocity

View Quote
The Superlative gas block in not only a bleed off gas block. It works like a regular restriction gas block but after you unscrew it past all the way open it then starts to bleed off the extra pressure instead of restricting.

Superlative Arms DI Adjustable Gas Block Field Test: Bleed-off vs Restriction vs Non-adjustable
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Careful, you'll see the argument change from "Cover the gas block to prevent shifting" to "Cover the gas block to prevent bending the barrel"!!

View Quote
Overly concerned people that spread a feeling before having anything to back it up is the most entertaining thing ôabout gun forums.  People seem to want to know it all, how to build, how to spend, blah blah.  Too much I read is feels not data.  I decided there had to be data and I found it with a quick search. Seems pretty cut and dry, no?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top