Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2017 12:12:14 AM EDT
So I've narrowed my choice down to 2. The brownells lr 308 20rnd mag and the ASC mags.

Which one would you choose and why?

I know the larue mag is supposed to have the best OAL but 75 a mag is outrageous.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I seem to remember reading that some people had issues with the Brownells...

I bought the ASC mags and haven't had any issues. One guy wrote that he had a few misfeeds at first but that went away after he used them a few times. The ASC mags are also constructed with only one layer of metal at the front which allows longer reloads (OAL) to load in the mags. Other mags from D&H and DPMS have two layers folded and spot welded at the front of the mag which gives slightly less OAL....

I'd recommend ASC and PMAGS. I picked up D&H a few weeks ago. I haven't shot them yet but as noted, they are similar in construction to the DPMS mags. You might check into C-Products too, they are probably similar to the ASC mags in construction and reliability.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#2]
ASC and Brownells aren't really an even comparison. ASC are steel and the Brownells are aluminum.

I own just about every type of SR-25 pattern magazine. For the Brownells 1 of 8 won't drop free, even after sanding. All others function as intended. The ASC needed sanding on the feed lips as they left visible marks on the brass while feeding.

The best steel magazine I have used is the Knight's Armament, but they are not cheap.

If you don't mind a hybrid steel/polymer, the Lancer is a very nice mag as well. The COAL is 2.85.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate the answers guys. Imma order some acs. Lancer Knights and larue mags are just too cost prohibitive. 50$ + a mag isn't something I can swallow and be able.to order a sizable amount of mags on one go.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:04:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I run the lancer, pmags, dpms and the asc mags. All work perfectly well i load to 2.820" for all. (pretty sure)

I actually dont like the lancer mags for matches very tight when fully loaded, i usually run the pmags and havent had one problem.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 7:17:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Scotts556:
I appreciate the answers guys. Imma order some acs. Lancer Knights and larue mags are just too cost prohibitive. 50$ + a mag isn't something I can swallow and be able.to order a sizable amount of mags on one go.
View Quote

I hear that, I've got a few LT mags for big bullets but the rest of my mags are magpul.  Unless you plan on shooting only big match bullets you don't need a whole closet full of quality steel mags IMHO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top