Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2017 7:52:44 PM EDT
I see a lot of builds on here with Luth-AR stocks.  I currently have a Seekins Precision 6.5CM with a PRS on it but I have most of the components to build a second 6.5CM (possibly for my dad or brother).  Anyone have one of each and would care to give the pros and cons of each?  

As for my experience with the PRS, I haven't adjusted either the comb or length of pull since the first time I set up the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:41:12 PM EDT
[#1]
The answer is VLTOR.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:07:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sanlanman:
The answer is VLTOR.
View Quote

Amen to that. My IMOD has seven telescoping positions using the buffer system VLTOR made for the Marines.

The PRS is much heavier than the Luth AR, much heavier. My PRS has also not been adjusted, in part because it ended up on a rifle that's a safe queen. The whole thing got too darn heavy.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:18:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a LuthAR. I would like to replace it with a PRS gen3. I'm not really worried about weight on this build.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Sanlanman:
The answer is VLTOR.
View Quote

So which model for a AR10 EMOD?
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:06:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
I have a LuthAR. I would like to replace it with a PRS gen3. I'm not really worried about weight on this build.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57761/20170105-220617-120428.jpg
View Quote

What is it that you don't like about the LuthAR that makes you want to swap to a PRS?
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the adjustment system of the PRS. I used to have a PRS on a different build. The cheek adjustment has less flex and the length adjustment also feels more sturdy. The new one adds the adjustable butt plate as well.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:00:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the adjustment system of the PRS. I used to have a PRS on a different build. The cheek adjustment has less flex and the length adjustment also feels more sturdy. The new one adds the adjustable butt plate as well.
View Quote

I agree with this assessment.  The LUTH-AR cheek piece is rather flexible and also cumbersome to change.  Dials on the PRS are much nicer for quick adjustments.  However, LUTH is about 1/2 the price of the PRS if you do your shopping.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#8]
PRS for the win!

Plus "Luther" is a stupid name...
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I have both and they are both good

PRS gen 1

Pros
Easy solid and repeatable adjustment
Solid constuction and can take a beating

Cons
Very heavy
Very expensive
Original butt pad is very thin and needs to be updated with anything bigger than .223

Luth-AR

Pros

Half the weight of PRS
Half the price of PRS
Holds adjustments

Cons

Not as solid as PRS (you probably can't butt stroke someone to death with it )
Adjustments require tools and take longer but once I get it set I leave it alone

I haven't tried the new PRS yet it might be the best of both worlds
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#10]
XLR Tactical AR Buttstock is the answer you seek. I have a PRS on another rifle and like it OK but its heavy. The XLR is far lighter than the PRS and has more adjustment then the PRS or Luthar. Its very well built. I am very pleased and will eventually swap my PRS on my predator gun for another XLR. This one below is on my light weight long range stalker. 

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, I just ordered the PRS 3, price was pretty good with the L9U $20 off coupon at Brownells.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:00:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 03PSD] [#12]
Well, I just ordered the PRS 3, price was pretty good with the L9U $20 off coupon at Brownells.
View Quote
Nice. 
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:49:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: STRIKE504] [#13]
Originally Posted By Nemsis:
I have both and they are both good

PRS gen 1

Pros
Easy solid and repeatable adjustment
Solid constuction and can take a beating

Cons
Very heavy
Very expensive
Original butt pad is very thin and needs to be updated with anything bigger than .223

Luth-AR

Pros

Half the weight of PRS
Half the price of PRS
Holds adjustments

Cons

Not as solid as PRS (you probably can't butt stroke someone to death with it )
Adjustments require tools and take longer but once I get it set I leave it alone

I haven't tried the new PRS yet it might be the best of both worlds
View Quote

PRS-1.68lbs
Luth-AR-1.26lbs
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:13:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nemsis] [#14]
You can't start from zero since you need a stock on the rifle

An A2 weighs 24oz
PRS 27oz adds 3oz to the rifle
Luth 20oz you lose 4oz from the rifle

7 ounces doesn't sound like much till you put it on the rifle

I just looked up the PRS gen 3 27.8oz
It's heavier than the original
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Nemsis:
You can't start from zero since you need a stock on the rifle

An A2 weighs 24oz
PRS 27oz adds 3oz to the rifle
Luth 20oz you lose 4oz from the rifle

7 ounces doesn't sound like much till you put it on the rifle
View Quote
She stills weighs less than a 240... Not that I ever liked humping a 240
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:43:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Got my PRS 3 in last night. I'm really liking the new but pad, feels great!
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm going back with the PRS since there is a sale on FDE models for $159.  I have a spare rifle and carbine buffer tube laying around, but which springs and buffer weights should I be looking at?
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MadCowRacer:
I'm going back with the PRS since there is a sale on FDE models for $159.  I have a spare rifle and carbine buffer tube laying around, but which springs and buffer weights should I be looking at?
View Quote
5.56 or other caliber?
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#19]
6.5CM Aero lower if that makes any difference.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Then I would get an Armalite 308 rifle buffer and Sprinco red spring.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 4:54:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Saryan] [#21]
I just got one. I would only choose it over a PRS for weight savings. It's not bad but it's not as good. Make sure you get the rubber butt pad for it. If not your left with the absolute worst possible material. Just hard sharp plastic edges. I may switch to a B5 to save 10ounces. I'll drop my scope height a little and see if it's decent without the Luth. Weight on this one is 18.5 ounces.

Link Posted: 3/5/2017 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice looking stick, what suppressor is that?

Here are my two 6.5 Creedmoor guns. I put the LuthAR on my backup gun.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Crux AXE. Titanium and lightweight. 6" long and 9oz. I have 3 of their cans. All rated to 338 Lapua. Lightweight was the theme for this. Carbon fiber barrel, etc. I had the sig tango 6 but it's a little heavier than it needs to be. ADM sent me the mount so I'm using it but titanium rings would save a few more ounces.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 12:16:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: uplandgunner] [#24]
I think the Luth and the PRS serve different purposes for me and that is how they balance out the gun. The PRS is great for builds that have a heavy bull barrel  ( 20"-26") sitting out front by adding more weight to the rear. Granted these builds are shot from a rest of one sort or another but a good balance lends to better stability even from a bench. I like the Luth on more mid-range type builds like the 18" build shown below. That is my carry rifle for predators. The balance of that gun makes it very shootable off hand when I need it to.

I like both stocks but each have their pro's and con's.

Luth AR
Pro's
Weight and adjustability.
I like the adjustability better than the PRS. It is more adjustable and the increments are finer.
Scope and rings placement is less critical to get a good fit, proper eye relief and nice cheek weld.

Con's
Less rigid than the PRS and adjustments are a bit more involved to make. Some even need a Allen wrench.

PRS
Pro's
A lot more rigid
More easily adjustable than the Luth and can be quickly done with no tools

Con's
Less adjustable than the Luth.
Scope and ring placement more critical for a good fit, proper eye relief and cheek weld

Link Posted: 10/3/2019 12:53:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Do any of these stocks interfere with the charging handle?  Some of you guys like Vltor but I didn’t see a precision model.  The XLR AR stock is looking like a candidate.
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 6:54:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By BlackdogGS:
Do any of these stocks interfere with the charging handle?  Some of you guys like Vltor but I didn't see a precision model.  The XLR AR stock is looking like a candidate.
View Quote
Depending on how you have adjusted the the XLR it can interfere with the CH.
old thread but I ended up selling my XLR and going with a gen 3 PRS. It's only a bit heavier than the XLR but I like the slopes bottom better than previous generations and the ability to adjust without tools is very nice. It also just has a mire solid feel to me than the XLR did. The PRS gen 3 does not interfere with the CH at all.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 11:37:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I ended up with the PRS gen 3.  I found it for $205.  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 7:36:37 PM EDT
[#28]
The PRS isn’t working for me, I’m exchanging it for the UBR.  Someday I’ll have this thing dialed in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top