Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:48:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m6z] [#1]
Lennyo3034, on your URX4 build, do you have clearance to mount your bipod at the very end of the rail or will the gas block crash with the picitany rail adapter with the rifle length gas system?
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 11:09:29 PM EDT
[#2]
It would have been really close, which is why I mounted it slightly further back.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 4:17:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I love Geissele rails for a simple yet insanely strong rail. The installation is the easiest I've ever seen on any handguard and they are very well constructed. The mk4 checks all the boxes for me, great handguard.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 1:27:54 PM EDT
[#4]
On my accurate AR-15's I have used YHM Diamond rails with no problem.
My most accurate so far has a Guntec M-Lok and zero issues either.
As long as nothing touches inside and the barrel nut is of good design I see no reason most will not do as good as any other.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 10:18:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 1:05:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:

I've never used a Geissele rail. How does the tube mount to the barrel nut? How would you compare it to say...a KMR?

I'll add another one to the list: Diamondhead VRS-T - The handguard itself is very solid, but a little thin on the inside. I run a 13.5" on my precision AR and a friend ran a 15". While on the bipod, his had clearance with his low profile gas block. However once he preloaded the bipod like he was shooting, that clearance reduced. While firing, the whip of the barrel absolutely caused contact between his gas block and handguard. There were marks on the both the gas block and inside the handguard to indicate this.

We replaced it with a basic DPMS tube (pictured by another poster above) and accuracy became much more consistent. Previously, the rifle had been shooting around 2/3 MOA with occasional flyers that took it 1 MOA. After replacing the handguard, overall accuracy stayed around 2/3 MOA, but the flyers completely disappeared.
View Quote
The Geissele is somewhat similar to the KMR, in that the rail slides over the barrel nut and then screws are passed through channels in the barrel nut preventing the rail from sliding forward.  The screws are tightened which slightly collapse the rail onto the barrel nut securing it there.  The anti-rotation feature is different in that the Geissele uses set screws applying slight pressure to the lower part of the upper receiver.

The Geissele's barrel nut is significantly longer than the KMR's, though, which IMO adds to the rigidity of the handguard by preventing flex.  A few .mil members (who have their hands in the procurement/testing side of things) have also alluded to the fact that the longer barrel nut of the Geissele prevents lateral pressure from being exerted on the barrel nut/bolt interface which can actually lead to increased bolt life.  I would think preventing lateral movement of the barrel would also lend itself to accuracy/precision.

I have two "precision" ARs and they both sport Mk4 SMRs.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 1:16:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I put  the old school triangle hand guards on my mk12 mod -2 and it tightened my groups to .25 moa. Highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By MRW:
I just bought a Faxon 15" handguard for a build using a Larue tAR barrel and a SLR gasblock. It went together fine. I'm a little skeptical of the friction fit to the barrel nut, but we'll see
View Quote
How do you like the Faxon rail?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#11]
JP. Love those hand guards. I had one on my 223. Wanted to try something different so picked up a Geissele for my Grendel. I cant get it mounted (Biller upper), and even if I could I'd go back to JP. The Geissele is great, but the JP is as solid and I prefer the look of the JP. 

Between the excellent fit, function and look I'm a JP guy through and through for precision rifle handguards. 
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:01:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trumpet] [#12]
Any input on the Gear Sector GSR or UTG Pro?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:50:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 7:23:26 AM EDT
[#14]
On My Aero M5 6.5 creedmoor build I went with an Apex handguard. Its very strong, has plenty of ID and feels fantastic in your hand. you can have as many or as little of rails as you like.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 1:01:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 11:47:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I would like to see more quad rail options with larger i.d.'s. Quad rails have the greatest potential for rigidity imo and offer plenty of accessory mounting options but many do not have ideal i.d. clearence for large GB's. Yankee Hill used to (I believe it is now discontinued) offer a quad rail that had a tall (vertical i.d.) yet slim (horizontal i.d.) which sounds like it would be great for gas block clearence while not being overly large to grip.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Centurion Arms built my MK12ish precision gun with a Knight’s rail.

Very pleased... NF ATACR in a C1 mount

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MONGO45:
Centurion Arms built my MK12ish precision gun with a Knight’s rail.

Very pleased... NF ATACR in a C1 mount

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86935/1EF6E4EF-7A5B-4C6D-8EB2-1706D5A734A7_jpe-2319652.JPG
View Quote

Excellent!
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:41:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: INMY01TA] [#19]
Midwest Industries w/18” Seekins 223 wylde stainless barrel.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top