Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2015 10:50:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CageFighter]
I have a chance to pick up a used KAC SR25 ER at a great price. I am primary looking for a long range precision rifle.  This has the 20" 5R barrel, etc.  any thougths on its accuracy & reliability?  Only 170rds thru it.

here is the link for description.
http://www.impactguns.com/knights-sr-25-er-308-20in-blk-wurx-ii-30359.aspx
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I would go for it. Knights puts out some pretty good guns may not be the most accurate. But they make some good guns.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#2]
It's probably one of the best gas guns you will find for accuracy.  I think KAC uses krieger barrels.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 12:25:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Scotts556:
may not be the most accurate. But they make some good guns.
View Quote

please explain.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 12:55:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I used the SR25 for years in the mil. Go Larue.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 1:41:15 AM EDT
[#5]
https://www.full30.com/video/72d12e929079ed8d72f6868d3faa6b08

Good video, take a peek 16" ecc being used.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 1:52:54 AM EDT
[#6]
If you need an off the shelf 7.62 gas gun that is plug and play with an optic and will shoot 1 MOA or better...they are a good choice.

They are pricey.  They can have a wait time if you don't find one in stock.  

Parts are sometimes hard to get and you generally can't mechanic on it yourself.  

But it flat out will get shit done and has a proven record in combat...albeit with a bit of a learning curve.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Go for it. I get amazing accuracy out of my SR25 16" enhanced carbine plus 100% reliablity suppressed/unsuppressed. The 20" ER is basically a civilianized MK11
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#8]
no suppressor here, I live in a Communist state.     i was thinking of possibly cutting down the barrel, re-crowning & threading a brake on there in the future.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#9]
The SR25 ER is perfect for you being in NJ seeming it is already evil featureless. I would probably leave that  barrel alone until you shoot it.I have shot a few ERs with factory 20 inch target crown barrels and they were tack drivers!  A little extra muzzle velocity from the longer barrel can be helpful if you plan to really stretch it out as well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got an APC in and its an absolute laser, once I get totally comfortable with it, I'll be giving the MOA all day challenge a shot.

I had an ECR prior to that, and it was a great shooter as well.  No malfunctions in either, and both very accurate.

Contrary to popular belief, there are plenty of websites that sell SR25 parts, so in the rare event something breaks, you'll have no trouble getting parts.  The only special part you may need is a URX3 wrench, if you get the older style 25, everything else is standard from a tool standpoint.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone have a KNIGHT'S ARMAMENT M110 CARBINE ACS BUTTSTOCK ASSEMBLY KIT they're looking to get rid of?  

KAC SKU:25951-BLK
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By CageFighter:
Anyone have a KNIGHT'S ARMAMENT M110 CARBINE ACS BUTTSTOCK ASSEMBLY KIT they're looking to get rid of?  

KAC SKU:25951-BLK
View Quote

Contact Marc Tyrpak at lawmens.net

[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#13]

please explain.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

please explain.

kac doesnt brag about cherry picked groups shot off a benchrest
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#14]
whats an alternative to shoot lights out?  OBR?
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 8:48:14 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

GAP.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 9:38:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Krazny13:

GAP.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Krazny13:

GAP.

Yup..or JP LRP-07

But I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on the KAC. I hope to own an SR-25 in the next couple of years. That 20" SR-25 should be a hammer.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:22:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By shrapmagnet:
View Quote

Thank you for your service and if you don't mind me asking, what specific issues did you have with the SR25 and which specific model were you issued?
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 1:35:27 PM EDT
[#18]
If you still haven't purchased that rifle yet I am selling the exact same but with optics for the same price. Only 200 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 2:00:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JCIN] [#19]
If you are getting a great price buy it. Worst case you get to try something new then flip it and make a couple bucks. If its not a screaming deal I would think longer.

Of the three SR25's I have experience with (ECC, ECR, EMC) one MOA for five five shot groups would be on the optimistic side. A consistent 1.5ish is what I have seen with several different loads from FGMM to handloads. Thats a sample size of one so take that for what its worth.

For shooting tiny groups I think there are better buys. If thats not your focus then you might like it.

Link Posted: 10/22/2015 9:09:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By JCIN:

For shooting tiny groups I think there are better buys. If thats not your focus then you might like it.

View Quote

please explain.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#21]

please explain.
View All Quotes

please explain.

Sorry for the late reply. One of the biggest comolaints of the m110 is accuracy varies from rifle to rifle. Knights may have fixed it with the new sr25s but m110s could be very accraute to 2-3 moa groups. At least the ones my old unit had and I have heard the same from other units to. Buy with the obr jp and gap offerings if you want small groups I'd go with thkise
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#22]

please explain.
View All Quotes

please explain.
If you want the rifle for banging 2-3 MOA steel targets (like a 10" plate at 500 yards) the KAC rifles I have shot are a lot of fun and work fine. If you want to sit on a bench and try to shoot .5 MOA groups the ones I have shot are not great at that. If I was going to buy a precision gas gun I would buy a GAP 10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. Even then I would not expect it to shoot like a bolt gun. Shooting large frame AR's is a different animal than .223's or bolt guns.

I don't know what your expectation of a precision rifle is. I have seen a lot of guys expect the same accuracy as a quality bolt gun and that is very hard to come by in a gas gun in my experience. If you are in Jersey you have all the pre-ban crap to deal with. Seems like the KAC would work well for your circumstances. Just know its probably not going to shoot bugholes like a quality bolt gun.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2015 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#23]
If you want the rifle for banging 2-3 MOA steel targets (like a 10" plate at 500 yards) the KAC rifles I have shot are a lot of fun and work fine. If you want to sit on a bench and try to shoot .5 MOA groups the ones I have shot are not great at that. If I was going to buy a precision gas gun I would buy a GAP 10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. Even then I would not expect it to shoot like a bolt gun. Shooting large frame AR's is a different animal than .223's or bolt guns.

I don't know what your expectation of a precision rifle is. I have seen a lot of guys expect the same accuracy as a quality bolt gun and that is very hard to come by in a gas gun in my experience. If you are in Jersey you have all the pre-ban crap to deal with. Seems like the KAC would work well for your circumstances. Just know its probably not going to shoot bugholes like a quality bolt gun.  

View All Quotes

please explain.

The last paragraph  ^ is very important to understand before you buy any gas gun.

If I mention "Precision" I am referring to how tight of a group a rifle can shoot. "Accuracy" is how close those shots are in relation to the intended target. We do not shoot less than a 10 shot group in an attempt to evaluate the precision of a given rifle unless quantity of a specific ammo type is low. I am not much of a group shooter, but I do enjoy evaluating rifles to see how they compare to each other. The only kicker is the human element cannot be ignored. I would like to make a solid test stand one day just to test the mechanical precision of a rifle but until then there will always be a shot or several I do not execute correctly. I learned very quickly that laying down behind a .308 AR and punching out a nice tight 10 shot group takes a TON of concentration to apply the fundamentals correctly on every shot. You cannot cheat a big bore AR. You get out of it what you put into it. I think it is that challenge that has drawn me to the platform so much lately.

I currently have a KAC ECC and CL APC. My Brother in Law has a LMT MWS with 18" SS barrel we shoot a lot along with another buddy's EMC. All .308 Win.

My ECC has recently reached a point that I would consider it broken in and the groups that it is capable of shooting have definitely tightened up since it was new. My APC is still cherrish, but it is doing well also. My 2 KAC rifles shoot on par with a buddy's older EMC, with his EMC being a bit better overall. I have another Buddy who has an ACC. He has not shot it much, but his test target from KAC was somewhere around 1.2-1.4 MOA if I remember right. I think KAC has mentioned 1.2/1.3 being the Government's accuracy requirement on the M110, and I don't think they measure that using ES of the group.

As you can see, I have a decent group going on, but always seem to manage to pull one or two out of the cluster. I am getting better at it, but for me there has definitely been a learning curve in shooting these rifles.

This is one recent 10 shot group with my ECC at ~ 100M.

One from the ECC right after I first got it.

The two on the left are from the APC on it's first trip to the range. The right one is the ECC. I totally claim the two little guys off alone by themselves.

The LMT MWS with SS barrel definitely stands out as being more precise for us. Of course you need to consider it is sporting a SS barrel vs the CL barrels of the rifles I have. It is not top end bolt gun accurate, but if you execute each shot correctly it is pretty damn close. There is a lot of shared blood between KAC and LMT. I would have no problems with either if I could only have one rifle. I think KAC should offer at least 1 SR25 model with a true match grade SS barrel in .308 16-20" and it would be awesome if we could get them to do the same for one of the 6.5mm rounds (.260 Rem or 6.5CM). Precision rifle matches have really grown in popularity in recent years and it would make a lot of sense to have a model with the potential to be a very precise rifle in 6.5mm to be competitive to some of the other rifles you see at these matches. If nothing else, just an upper would be sweet.

If you are not going to run the SR25 like a 5.56mm carbine and want the most precision wise, I would look at the newer models with the non-CL bores like the APR or APC. If you are ok with a CL bore, the introduction of the new rifles which have a lower price than the last flag ship model the ECC, combined with the fact that there was a batch of ECC's released after the new rifles were on shelves has really killed the sale and resale value on the past generation guns. You can find some pretty good deals on an ECC or EMC right now both new and used. In fact some of the ECR's are very close in pricing to some LMT, Larue, and HK offerings. I had my own ECC listed for sale but pulled it as the offers I was getting were below what I wanted to part with it for. My ECC is one of the last one's to leave KAC in this latest batch and my ECC serial # is actually 70 rifles higher than my APC.

I do believe the resale on the EMC's and ECC's will eventually creep back up once the stock of new rifles at dealers falls off. Another thing to consider, the last couple panics drove prices on rifles like the KAC, LMT and SCAR into orbit. With 2016 right around the corner, it is possible we may see a smaller scale panic next year depending on who the actual contenders for office end up being. With prices low like they are now, it might not be a bad time to jump on whatever it is you really want. I know for me, I have always wanted a SR25. A great guy I know who runs a gun shop here in SC had one I got to fondle years ago. As silly as it sounds, between that and drooling over an older (early 2000's)  Leupold Mk4 ad in several gun magazines with a SR25/Mk4 strapped to the top of an ALICE pack worn by some SF looking guy hiking up a mountain, it was SR25 or bust. I have had other .308 gas guns, but was never totally happy in my purchase until I had my grail in the safe. Bolt guns the same way. The AI is it for me. No matter what I had prior, I was always still wanting one until I got an AI. The way I look at it, if you are spending that kind of money buy what you want and what makes you happy.

Hope that helps

Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:10:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 556sniper:
Go for it. I get amazing accuracy out of my SR25 16" enhanced carbine plus 100% reliablity suppressed/unsuppressed. The 20" ER is basically a civilianized MK11
View Quote
So that being said ,what are the differences if any besides the markings on the lower ? Does the Mk11 suppressor fit on the Sr25 Er?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:36:42 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote
A former beat partner of mine was a B4 guy in the Army and said the same thing about their M110s.  Took all the optics and other equipment off of them and put it on their old bolt guns.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:11:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes. The MK11 Mod 0 suppressor (PN 98440) fits on the ER. The ERs were basically using the rest of the MK11 barrel and gasblock stock (or this is my understanding based on what was told to me by someone who claims inside knowledge).

Personally I think the gun is awesome. But I am biased as I own one. Mine has a test target under .5 MOA. No it won't be as accurate as a custom bolt gun, but that wasn't the point of why the mil or anyone wanted a semi auto sniper system. It wasn't to shoot .01 MOA haha.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:52:32 AM EDT
[#27]
The LMT MWS with SS barrel definitely stands out as being more precise for us. Of course you need to consider it is sporting a SS barrel vs the CL barrels of the rifles I have. It is not top end bolt gun accurate, but if you execute each shot correctly it is pretty damn close. There is a lot of shared blood between KAC and LMT. I would have no problems with either if I could only have one rifle.
View Quote
I had an LMT MWS with the 18" SS barrel.  It was a phenomenally accurate shooter, like shockingly accurate.  And of course, unbelievably reliable/durable too.   I sold it when I was in a cash crunch and it was a stupid, stupid decision.   The MWS with SS 18" or 20" barrel is a true sleeper of a super-accurate semi-auto.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 7:24:52 AM EDT
[#28]
All I know is most here have a raging hard on for KAC.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:51:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jefflebowski] [#29]
Originally Posted By NoImpactNoIdea:
A former beat partner of mine was a B4 guy in the Army and said the same thing about their M110s.  Took all the optics and other equipment off of them and put it on their old bolt guns.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NoImpactNoIdea:
My brother used an SR25 as a Scout Sniper in Fallujah, loved it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 2:56:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryo] [#30]
I found accuracy of the SR25 LW Match to be decent..  

Here is a photo of me testing out the accuracy of my rifle at 100 yards
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 4:21:25 PM EDT
[#31]
The m110s the army uses seems to be hit or miss on accuracy. Don't know if it's the ammo or the rifles. But some seem to shoot lights out and some seem to be 1.5 moa rifles. But we only have one ammo type to test with.

Scott
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By skullbox:
It's probably one of the best gas guns you will find for accuracy.  I think KAC uses krieger barrels.
View Quote
I have not found this to be the case in my personal experience with accuracy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top