Page / 22
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:58:40 PM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Arkhangel:
I finally got a chance to shoot my Grendel at 100yds to see what accuracy potential it had. I was pleasantly surprised that the load I had been putting thru it was very accurate.

I had been shooting it at 600yds and only shot it at shorter distances for function testing.

It shot consistent .5moa groups with the combo I was using.

IMR8208 under a 123SMK, Norma brass and a CCI BR4 primer.

18in Satern cut rifled barrel from Brownells, Seekins Handguard, Odinworks BCG, Vltor receiver on top of a Colt Service rifle Lower.

I bought parts from whoever had what I wanted right now, as I was not interested in waiting.

Pleasantly surprised it shoots as good as it does.

SY
View Quote

Good to hear. I've got one of those barrels coming and read a few people were having issues with the Grendel 2 chamber.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:01:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#3]
Just got back from the range.  Tested:

6.5 Grendel AR15, Lilja 318 Barrel

94gr Hornady GMX Experimental/CFE223
100gr Barnes TTSX/CFE223
107gr SMK/8208 XBR
120gr Scenar L factory load for accuracy/velocity
123gr Factory Hornady SST for velocity
123gr AMAX/CFE223 pressure/velocity ladder
129gr Nosler Accubond Long Range/CFE223

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:28:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Looking forward to results
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#5]
107gr SMK
Lapua 2x
Rem 7 1/2 SRP
8208 XBR
2.245" COL

28.5 2562
28.8 2579
29.1 2624
29.4 2626
29.7 2655
30.0 2658

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#6]
94gr GMX Experimental Bullet
1x Hornady brass
2.261"-2.275" COL
Headspace set back .005"

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#7]
100gr Barnes TTSX
Hornady 1x set back .006"
Rem 7 1/2
CFE223

31.3 2598
31.6 2599
31.9 2642
32.2 2673
32.5 2646

I still have 5 more increments to test that are higher than this going up to 34.0gr.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:44:40 PM EDT
[#8]
120gr Scenar-L factory load from Precision Firearms

123gr AMAX 31.2gr CFE223

Factory 123gr SST

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for making me spend money. Just picked up a new rifle and 2k wolf.  This the only group I shot using Hornady 123 amax at 100. Table was wobbly and I couldn't hold steady. First time I really saw the reticle move with my heartbeat. Overall really happy. Really hits the steel with authority at 200 compared to .223.

18" Satern barrel and bolt from brownells.

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Man, I've put that AA Grendel barrel in my "basket" at least 4 times in 2 days.

I'm considering a new build, but on the fence in starting a new caliber in this crazy political time.

I am fully stocked with bullets, powder and brass for all the calibers I shoot. I just don't want to start something that may collect dust because I can't shoot it.

I'm ready to go, if someone just gives me the nudge I need.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By dirtyone04:

I'm considering a new build, but on the fence in starting a new caliber in this crazy political time.

I am fully stocked with bullets, powder and brass for all the calibers I shoot. I just don't want to start something that may collect dust because I can't shoot it.

View Quote

Tuck your mangina in and get it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

If you can't buy ammo, it's probably because there's a raging panic happening.  Which would make it easy to sell whatever upper or barrel you wouldn't be shooting.

But until then, you can buy ammo and shoot it
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:10:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Click2Boom] [#13]
I am thinking of putting together a grendel build under certain circumstances and was hoping you gents could help tell me if it would be worth it.

I am interested mostly for the 30cpr wolf steel case.  The vast majority of my shooting would be done with this as I don't yet reload and I don't like spending a buck a round.  So this would all have to make sense under the consideration that this would be the primary food source.

I'm not an experienced long range shooter.  I do my shooting around 5000ft ASL, so I plink with cheap AR ammo out to 500 no prob, I rarely shoot much further than that, mostly because of equipment and the style of shooting I like (I like to shoot field positions, prone, moving, etc.) Well that, and bulk ammo like I mentioned, haha.   I've always been more of an acog/red dot/irons guy but the grendel idea has me intrigued into stretching some legs, if it's possible to do on the relative cheap.  I do have access to a public range with gongs out to 1000.

So is it worth it to put together a rifle to basically just shoot the cheap stuff?  I'm not really looking to chase groups at 100m, more like be able to hit my gongs further away (and maybe hunt a little with it occasionally, wbich is pretty much the only reason I would spring for a box of premium ammo, in my theoretical use case.  Unless I ended up competing with it occasionally or something.  But yeah, the cheap stuff!!)

So does the wolf cheap stuff (i.e. the 100gr) outperform cheap  223  by a significant margin?  Buying premium 223 ammo would also be a way to get more range, I realize, but I have "cheap n deep"  proclivities

So assuming building a rifle to shoot the 100gr wolf makes sense, what barrel length would be best (with a natural preference towards being as compact as is reasonable)?

It would seem possible that they'd make the WPA in 120 or something at some point also, but it looks like it's all 100 right now.

Thx in advance!
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:41:52 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Click2Boom:
I am thinking of putting together a grendel build under certain circumstances and was hoping you gents could help tell me if it would be worth it.

I am interested mostly for the 30cpr wolf steel case.  The vast majority of my shooting would be done with this as I don't yet reload and I don't like spending a buck a round.  So this would all have to make sense under the consideration that this would be the primary food source.

I'm not an experienced long range shooter.  I do my shooting around 5000ft ASL, so I plink with cheap AR ammo out to 500 no prob, I rarely shoot much further than that, mostly because of equipment and the style of shooting I like (I like to shoot field positions, prone, moving, etc.) Well that, and bulk ammo like I mentioned, haha.   I've always been more of an acog/red dot/irons guy but the grendel idea has me intrigued into stretching some legs, if it's possible to do on the relative cheap.  I do have access to a public range with gongs out to 1000.

So is it worth it to put together a rifle to basically just shoot the cheap stuff?  I'm not really looking to chase groups at 100m, more like be able to hit my gongs further away (and maybe hunt a little with it occasionally, wbich is pretty much the only reason I would spring for a box of premium ammo, in my theoretical use case.  Unless I ended up competing with it occasionally or something.  But yeah, the cheap stuff!!)

So does the wolf cheap stuff (i.e. the 100gr) outperform cheap  223  by a significant margin?  Buying premium 223 ammo would also be a way to get more range, I realize, but I have "cheap n deep"  proclivities

So assuming building a rifle to shoot the 100gr wolf makes sense, what barrel length would be best (with a natural preference towards being as compact as is reasonable)?

It would seem possible that they'd make the WPA in 120 or something at some point also, but it looks like it's all 100 right now.

Thx in advance!
View Quote

Just buy a shitload of match grade 223 ammo from the money you would have spent on the 6.5.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 9:53:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VASCAR2] [#16]

Thx in advance!
View Quote

Wolf steel cased 6.5 Grendel 100 grain FMJ is about 2 MOA-2.5 MOA  for me out of my 16" chrome moly 1:9 twist barrel.  I just conducted a test using a speed timer with a 223/5.56 16" 1:9 twist barrel with E O Tech and my 16" 6.5 Grendel with E O Tech.  Both rifles have RRA NM triggers with the same 6 position stock and buffer.  With me shooting there was no discernible difference in times whether I was shooting  223 Winchester 55 grain FMJ or 120 grain PPU HP BT.  I shot 3 round strings on the buzzer at a 9" paper plate at 20 yards.  The 223/5.56 with 30 rounds of ammo weighed 10.0 pounds.  The 6.5 Grendel loaded with 24 rounds of ammo weighed 10.0 pounds.

If a person wanted to own one AR-15 and needed an intermediate cartridge like 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC to legally hunt I think the 6.5 Grendel is a viable option.  The steel case 6.5 Grendel will likely not out shoot good 223/5.56 brass case ammo regardless of range.  The 6.5 Grendel Wolf steel case ammo might preform the same or a little better than the better steel case ammo in 223.  The Wolf steel cased 100 grain FMJ is loaded by Branaul in Russia which has been worth buying for me.  I will only run the Wolf steel case in my cheap chrome moley barrel.

The real benefit, for me, is reloading cheaper plinking ammo and the ability to load ammo that is also as accurate as the factory match ammo.  I buy a lot bullets which are factory seconds or over runs.  I can maximize my shooting dollar by reloading.   You can only decide if steel case Wolf and factory brass ammo can meet your requirements.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 5:08:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dirtyone04] [#17]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By somedude:

https://media.giphy.com/media/wi8Ez1mwRcKGI/giphy.gif

Man, you guys are a bunch of jag-offs. I caved under pressure, tucked in my mangina, and did it.

I just placed my order for the AA 16" Barrel, bolt and one 17 round mag to get me started.

Now, I just have to decide if I'm raping one of my AR's to build this, or just wait and order the other stuff.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#18]

I just bought a 6.5 to, waiting for it to arrive at the dealer.  

only bought some wolf and some ppu so far.

I need to find a scope for a noob, was kinda looking at the sightmark photon, my budget will be up to $600 or so, the more it costs the longer I have to wait to get it as it takes me awhile to save up.  I only have shot a few friends scoped rifles but I have a lot of trouble focusing through the lens, usually have to blink a bit before I can see through it. I never installed or used a scope before besides 5 shots at most on any particular rifle.

100-500 yards will be the average shots for now as there are no longer ranges anywhere near me. I would have to travel a bit for anything farther as I don't know of anywhere else. I would like to be able to shoot from 100-1000 give or take.

should I get a beater scope to mess with? or just get a decent one,   I am installing flip up front and rear sights  for now.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By RePp:

Just buy a shitload of match grade 223 ammo from the money you would have spent on the 6.5.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RePp:

Thx in advance!

That's the alternative I guess.

Could buy a decent amount of ADI SMK for cost of grendel upper and scope.   2moa is fine, I'm mostly just wondering about max range.of cheap grendel compared to 223.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 7:01:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dirtyone04] [#20]

I need to find a scope for a noob, was kinda looking at the sightmark photon, my budget will be up to $600 or so, the more it costs the longer I have to wait to get it as it takes me awhile to save up.  I only have shot a few friends scoped rifles but I have a lot of trouble focusing through the lens, usually have to blink a bit before I can see through it. I never installed or used a scope before besides 5 shots at most on any particular rifle.

100-500 yards will be the average shots for now as there are no longer ranges anywhere near me. I would have to travel a bit for anything farther as I don't know of anywhere else. I would like to be able to shoot from 100-1000 give or take.

should I get a beater scope to mess with? or just get a decent one,   I am installing flip up front and rear sights  for now.
View Quote

I too need a scope, but for the money, the SWFA SS 12X is hard to beat.

It will easily get you out to 1000 yards.

The reason I'm staying at 12X is to keep it legal for the new class of shooting offered at the CMP.

I hope to make it there soon.

I have the same optic on my 18" LaRue rifle and am able to see what I want beyond the ability of the 5.56.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 1:40:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RePp] [#21]

The reason I'm staying at 12X is to keep it legal for the new class of shooting offered at the CMP.

I have the same optic on my 18" LaRue rifle and am able to see what I want beyond the ability of the 5.56.
View All Quotes

Shooting from 100-1000 I would not want a fixed 12. I use the  4x16x55 vortex on all my precision gas guns and I guess if you could only go to 12 power I would get the 2.5 -10. I know it's very handy when I'm shooting small things at long ranges to have the 6-24x55 scopes of the bolt guns.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 5:18:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VASCAR2] [#22]
If you plan on shooting a 6.5 Grendel AR-15 past 700-800 yards your probably going to need a 20 MOA canted one piece mount.  I bought a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50 mildot scope with side focus.  The Viper runs about $450 so you still have some budget for a good mount.  I bought a Aadmount 20 MOA 30 MM mount to use with my Viper.  Makes a great combo on my 20" 6.5 Grendel.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Just got off the phone with AA, I had to add a few things to my order.

The 16" barrels are not in stock at the moment, but I was told they are about 3 weeks out.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 6:48:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Is Hornady going to release a GMX 6.5G load?

Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
94gr GMX Experimental Bullet
1x Hornady brass
2.261"-2.275" COL
Headspace set back .005"

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/65%20Grendel%20Reloading/IMG_05231_zpsjfypdcpf.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2016 7:53:33 AM EDT
[#25]
And it begins, broke down and ordered some mags...

Now I just have to decide on a barrel. Really thinking about the Lija that LRRPF52 has.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#26]
I just ordered a Criterion barrel from Precision Firearms, even though I have called 20 times and emailed him 3 times I can't get ahold of this guy.(his voice mailbox is always full and can't leave a message)  I would never do business with a person like this under normal circumstances but his rep is almost beyond reproach, His communication skills though need mucho work.

I ordered the 20 inch medium Hbar profile but would consider the bull barrel if I new the weight difference between the 2. Secondly I would consider getting the nitride barrel treatment but would like to know more about it and it's effect on accuracy.

I was originally going to go with a lilja or bartlein but was hit with an unexpected 8k in bills so that cut into my fun money a little bit. The Criterion barrel with his bolt was 420.00 and I'm kinda wishing I had just ordered straight from Lilja instead, since I can't get ahold of Mark.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I know this probably won't make you feel better but he is alive and well.  I saw him at the last gun show I went to in Harrisburg, PA........
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 11:44:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey LRRP, I think I need to chat with you ref  some ballistics on this round in regards to sniper use and on target performance.

If you have time let me know via IM.

I actually have a "project" in sales and training and I could use your input.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#29]
If anyone has bought an Odin works Grendel barrel they have a bulletin out on them. Some of them are bad and need to be checked.

I thoroughly enjoy this caliber and have a 18" rifle length 1:7.5 barrel on order with tbox barrels. Hopefully it will be done by Christmas.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:09:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Et2ss] [#30]
Can some one fill me in on the Spec II chamber? Differences, etc.

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a 6.5. Just trying to decide between the Grendel or the PCC.

The PCC uses stock mags/bolt, and I have lots of brass, but no factory ammo to play with, and the AOL is an issue with heavier bullets

LRRPF52, do you have any experience with the PCC at all?

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 3:27:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#31]
Originally Posted By Et2ss:
Can some one fill me in on the Spec II chamber? Differences, etc.

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a 6.5. Just trying to decide between the Grendel or the PCC.

The PCC uses stock mags/bolt, and I have lots of brass, but no factory ammo to play with, and the AOL is an issue with heavier bullets

LRRPF52, do you have any experience with the PCC at all?

View Quote

There is only one chamber that has received SAAMI approval and is the industry standard for compatibility with factory ammunition.

Any other chamber nomenclature has significant leeway in what the reamer maker can cut, without any way for the barrel maker to hold them to a standard, unless the barrel maker specs and measures with optical comparator his own design.

Anytime you see someone advertising or promoting another chamber, just know that you are rolling the dice with it.  I've seen it so many times now end in failure.

Good thing AA spent over $11,000 experimenting with different chamber designs until finalizing on what became the SAAMI chamber.

The recalls, poor accuracy, lack of compatibility with factory ammunition, and unsafe conditions with the mystery meat chambers should steer people to the SAAMI chamber.  Some continue to fight standardization for unknown or unexplained reasons, to the detriment of the customer in many cases.

I looked at the PCC and the 6.5 MPC many years ago.  You can get some decent performance with 22" barrels, but you are really limited in projectile selection to shorter, lower BC bullets, and no factory ammo support or ready-made brass.

With 6.5 Grendel, you have more factory loads than you will be able to order and shoot in a lifetime for most people, ample supplies of brass from numerous sources, and the ability to use most of the 6.5mm bullets on the market, including many of the 140gr, although I really think it shines with the 85gr-130gr, with 123gr being the most popular in both target and hunting loads.

There are several new loads that just came out from Hornady and Federal, and last check before that, there were 37 factory loads.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Thank you sir.  

I plan on mostly just target and the occasional critter. (We can only use straight wall cartridges for large game here)

Since I am a man of limited means, I want to go with the AA 16" lite as their price is definitely appealing.

I have a range mapped out right now to 1267 yds, but that seems like it would be quite a stretch for the Grendel.

I do have another point mapped around 823 yds which may be a bit more realistic for this round and short barrel combo.

I have a 16x SWFA SS with their rings/level  (christmas special for $249) to throw on it, They don't list the overall vert travel but It's 5 mils/rotation x 9 rotations, should be 45

at that distance I think I would be OK with standard rings/mount, at least according to Hornaday's calculator figuring a 123 gr A max @ ca. 2400 fps.

Link Posted: 10/29/2016 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By CaliContractor:
I just ordered a Criterion barrel from Precision Firearms, even though I have called 20 times and emailed him 3 times I can't get ahold of this guy.(his voice mailbox is always full and can't leave a message)  I would never do business with a person like this under normal circumstances but his rep is almost beyond reproach, His communication skills though need mucho work.

I ordered the 20 inch medium Hbar profile but would consider the bull barrel if I new the weight difference between the 2. Secondly I would consider getting the nitride barrel treatment but would like to know more about it and it's effect on accuracy.

I was originally going to go with a lilja or bartlein but was hit with an unexpected 8k in bills so that cut into my fun money a little bit. The Criterion barrel with his bolt was 420.00 and I'm kinda wishing I had just ordered straight from Lilja instead, since I can't get ahold of Mark.
View Quote

You might be able to get a hold of him on 6.5 Grendel forum. I ordered a 18 inch 6.5 grendel Criterion barrel with nitriding from him a while back. Should be coming in some time next month. I was able to get a hold of him no problem through email. I even was able to get a response on the weekend. Right now he is swamped, so there might be a delay in getting messages  back.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Anyone else excited  about  the  new  Hornady factory ammo and bullets for the 6.5 grendel.

I am glad to see a lot more for the grendel recently. I just hope for more companies  start making brass for the round.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Just got back from the range.  Tested:

6.5 Grendel AR15, Lilja 318 Barrel

94gr Hornady GMX Experimental/CFE223
100gr Barnes TTSX/CFE223
107gr SMK/8208 XBR
120gr Scenar L factory load for accuracy/velocity
123gr Factory Hornady SST for velocity
123gr AMAX/CFE223 pressure/velocity ladder
129gr Nosler Accubond Long Range/CFE223

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/65%20Grendel%20Reloading/IMG_05131_zps4sgwxn3o.jpg
View Quote

What brass catcher is this? I know I am going to need one as I don't want to lose any of my grendel brass.

Any brass catcher recommendations?
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By MDStroup:
Anyone else excited  about  the  new  Hornady factory ammo and bullets for the 6.5 grendel.

I am glad to see a lot more for the grendel recently. I just hope for more companies  start making brass for the round.
View Quote

Current brass manufacturers/sources:

AA
Lapua
Nosler
Norma
Hornady
Federal

Who else would you like to see brass from?
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 9:28:14 PM EDT
[#37]
I have been trying to convince myself I don't want a Grendel.

Trying to convince myself my 7.62x40s go as far as I need here.

Trying.

Failing.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 10:28:03 AM EDT
[#38]

AA
Lapua
Nosler
Norma
Hornady
Federal

View All Quotes

AA
Lapua
Nosler
Norma
Hornady
Federal

Only knew about Lapua and hornady. Thanks for that.

I want to mainly use the Lapua brass, but as a number two incase I can't get some Lapa later down the road, which brass would you recommend?

Also, isn't AA brass just rebranded brass? Used to be Lapua now it is hornady.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 11:12:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Et2ss] [#39]
Just saw this.  There was a vid of the same guy hitting a milk jug @1000 yds in 3 shots with his Grendel.

This one is a milk jug @1518yds in 5 shots

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#40]

I want to mainly use the Lapua brass, but as a number two incase I can't get some Lapa later down the road, which brass would you recommend?

View All Quotes

AA
Lapua
Nosler
Norma
Hornady
Federal

I use a lot of Lapua and Hornady brass.

Both have been very good to me.  Haven't culled but maybe a few in 7 years of hand loading so far, and I shoot a lot.

A lot of guys are getting 20+ loads on Lapua brass.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Good thread for me to learn for my Grendel build also I recommend Grendel reload books 1 and 2 . Thanks lrrpf52 for the threads you do about the Grendel.
I am finishing my build using PF/Criterion 14.5 and Iron sights at first. I would like to get opinions on distance to zero sights.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 11:03:52 PM EDT
[#42]
I zero my 6.5 Grendels at 100 yards regardless whether scope, red dot or iron sites.   My BUIS has two aperatures but does not have a range turret but I feel confident I could makes hits out to 200 yards.  Further than 200 would depend on how well I could see the target, age is catching up to my eyes.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks for the reply. So I guess there is nothing special to zero distance. Was thinking hundred would be a nice place to start
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#44]
I carry a sheet with the drops for a given distance but I pretty much know my hold over for my 6.5 Grendel using mildot out to at least 350 yards.  If your hunting you might use a 200-250 yard zero so you'll be within the kill zone from 0-300 yards without making adjustments on your turrets with a duplex reticle.  Zero might be determined by the velocity threshold for bullet expansion with your barrel length and particular hunting bullet.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 2:40:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dttheliman] [#45]
@ LRRPF52 - so I am getting more and more interested in 6.5G - then I read in two different threads (this one and the one in GD) that there is a 6.5G version 2 ? whats that about ? Also seeing numerous differing barrel manufacturer and length  and twist recommendations what in your opinion (in true Arfcom terms i.e. money no object) would be your ideal rig for accuracy / screwing around behind a bench and occasional critter popping. Thinking of potential of using a 5 -25 PM2 over it? and suppressed I have a Thunderbeast Ultra 9 6.5 can that needs a home as well
Thanks  

Link Posted: 11/26/2016 4:18:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By dttheliman:
@ LRRPF52 - so I am getting more and more interested in 6.5G - then I read in two different threads (this one and the one in GD) that there is a 6.5G version 2 ? whats that about ? Also seeing numerous differing barrel manufacturer and length  and twist recommendations what in your opinion (in true Arfcom terms i.e. money no object) would be your ideal rig for accuracy / screwing around behind a bench and occasional critter popping. Thinking of potential of using a 5 -25 PM2 over it? and suppressed I have a Thunderbeast Ultra 9 6.5 can that needs a home as well

Thanks  

View Quote

"Grendel II" is just a lazy way of dealing with the reamer, so companies can run the reamer longer without worrying about the compound throat.  That introduces advantages for the manufacturer, and disadvantages for the customer, unless the customer knows where the leade will end up with the particular bullet they want to shoot in advance, with mag length COL taken into consideration.

From everything I've experienced, I can't ever outshoot the SAAMI chamber across a wide range of barrel sources and lengths, using the same quality ammunition.

In Saterns, Criterions, Kriegers, Liljas, and Bartleins, I have literally seen and shot 5rd groups into the .2's and .3s, some even 7-8rd groups into the .2s.

I've heard there are some .264 LBC-AR rifles built by Les that will shoot into the .2s, but I have very little experience with chambers named something close to that name, and none of it good.

From what I've seen, the best Grendel barrels you can get if money is no object are:

The upgrade options from AA with Shilen
Bartlein, Krieger, and Criterion from PF (long wait)
JP
Lilja
Satern with a SAAMI chamber (custom order, not the Liberty button-rifled barrels from Midway and Brownell's)

If I were building a more dedicated target gun, which I have on the burner right now actually, I would look at those.  All of them have been demonstrated to shoot insanely well.

There's a kid with a JP 22" pushing a mild load of BL-C(2) under a 123gr that shot both the 1000yd and 1518yd milk jug challenge, killing both in under 5 rounds each.

Hard to go wrong with any of them really.  In my experience so far, fastest shipping is from Lilja, probably followed by JP, then AA, then PF, then Satern.

If you put rifles built the same way with the same components next to each other, you will have a hard time seeing the difference, and all will be bug-holers.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 1:43:40 AM EDT
[#47]

"Grendel II" is just a lazy way of dealing with the reamer, so companies can run the reamer longer without worrying about the compound throat.  That introduces advantages for the manufacturer, and disadvantages for the customer, unless the customer knows where the leade will end up with the particular bullet they want to shoot in advance, with mag length COL taken into consideration.

From everything I've experienced, I can't ever outshoot the SAAMI chamber across a wide range of barrel sources and lengths, using the same quality ammunition.

In Saterns, Criterions, Kriegers, Liljas, and Bartleins, I have literally seen and shot 5rd groups into the .2's and .3s, some even 7-8rd groups into the .2s.

I've heard there are some .264 LBC-AR rifles built by Les that will shoot into the .2s, but I have very little experience with chambers named something close to that name, and none of it good.

From what I've seen, the best Grendel barrels you can get if money is no object are:

JP
Lilja
Satern with a SAAMI chamber (custom order, not the Liberty button-rifled barrels from Midway and Brownell's)

If I were building a more dedicated target gun, which I have on the burner right now actually, I would look at those.  All of them have been demonstrated to shoot insanely well.

There's a kid with a JP 22" pushing a mild load of BL-C(2) under a 123gr that shot both the 1000yd and 1518yd milk jug challenge, killing both in under 5 rounds each.

Hard to go wrong with any of them really.  In my experience so far, fastest shipping is from Lilja, probably followed by JP, then AA, then PF, then Satern.

If you put rifles built the same way with the same components next to each other, you will have a hard time seeing the difference, and all will be bug-holers.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dttheliman:

Thanks  

JP
Lilja

PF?
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 2:21:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By JAR-SPR:
PF?
View Quote

Precision Firearms.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 2:47:43 AM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By maxxmojo:
Precision Firearms.
View All Quotes

PF?

Precision Firearms.

Are the JP barrels that Brownells sells the same as JP sells on their website?  Or is there some difference like there is with Satern?

Any reason to pick The 22" JP or the 23" Lilja, other than cost?  Having a tough time deciding, but that fluted AR24 profile looks appealing (for a target rifle)...
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 2:52:23 AM EDT
[#50]

Precision Firearms.
View All Quotes
PF?

Precision Firearms.

Thanks!!
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top