Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ChaosHokie:
So I was all set on getting a 6.5 Grendel upper from a different vendor, then I had to read your review on the Larue rifle... UGH!

Unfortunately, I don't have the cash for the complete rifle right now, but what do you think about the Larue upper on a decently built out lower? Is there more "magic" in the total rifle versus just the upper kit?

Thanks!
View Quote
The upper kit has everything that you need except a lower, mags and optic. It's a great deal and maybe you'll have the cash for the lower when/if Mark offers them.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Did a color fill on the lower.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/20170816_132339_zpsonb4qvzt.jpg

View Quote
I'm sure I could google it but I'll just ask, how do you do that?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#4]
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/20170816_132339_zpsonb4qvzt.jpg

View Quote
@LRRPF52

Are you getting a tranquillo to go with that brake?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:23:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#5]
Originally Posted By APPARITION:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By APPARITION:

Paint with a fine brush to fill in all the crevices.

Let dry.  Wipe off with fine fiber cloth with isopropyl alcohol until no paint smear on the surface is there anymore.

I usually do the selector markings on my lowers after I FDE Cerakote them.  Just a little touch to make them more mine.

I'm thinking about making an American flag effect within the LaRue logo actually with some red and blue paint.

Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:
Are you getting a tranquillo to go with that brake?
I'm seriously thinking about it, as I would like to see the effects of the Tranquillo on back-pressure reduction that it was designed to address, as well as POI.

I also am in the process of planning my Grendel SBR/pistol build, which will be suppressed of course.  That will make a nice bedside gun, as well as utilitarian hunter/blaster with small overall profile for ease of carry and use.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:40:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, after reading LRRP's review, and in a weak moment fueled by a couple brews, I ordered the 6.5 LaRue Ultimate Upper kit.  I can assemble an upper but decided to let LaRue do that for me.

I think I'll be selling my PF barrel.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#7]

I also am in the process of planning my Grendel SBR/pistol build, which will be suppressed of course.  That will make a nice bedside gun, as well as utilitarian hunter/blaster with small overall profile for ease of carry and use.
View Quote
I hope you'll share these plans as they develop...
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:04:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#8]
Filled in more color-fill areas on upper and lower.

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:15:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Carlhwv] [#9]
lve got the barrel left over from my upper kit. I was thinking of having it chopped, doing a form 1, building a supressor and welding it together for one stamp.  The problem I have with this route is transportimg across state lines. So I guess I  could do a pistol lower and a Griffin attachment for travel.  Do the 12.5" BA  barrels have a different length gas system, or is it the same as the Larue? General thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Carlhwv:
lve got the barrel left over from my upper kit. I was thinking of having it chopped, doing a form 1, building a supressor and welding it together for one stamp.  The problem I have with this route is transportimg across state lines. So I guess I  could do a pistol lower and a Griffin attachment for travel.  Do the 12.5" BA  barrels have a different length gas system, or is it the same as the Larue? General thoughts?
View Quote
18" LaRue barrel has MLGS.

BA 12.5" has CLGS.

I'm looking at the pistol route as well since UT doesn't allow you to ride around with a rifle locked-and-loaded in your vehicle, but no problem with a pistol.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote
What's the issue with crossing state lines?  Suppressors don't need a permission slip to travel.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

What's the issue with crossing state lines?  Suppressors don't need a permission slip to travel.
View Quote
There are states that don't allow silencers. 8 of them I believe.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#13]
18" LaRue barrel has MLGS.

BA 12.5" has CLGS.

I'm looking at the pistol route as well since UT doesn't allow you to ride around with a rifle locked-and-loaded in your vehicle, but no problem with a pistol.
View Quote
The BA barrels are out of stock.  I just submitted my first and second Form 1.  Anyone have a read on how long they are taking to process these days?    I'm thinking that an adjustable gas block, with running it suppressed and non-suppressed, will give me flexibility on the gas side.  If I were to cut the larue barrel down, are there any functional challenges the extra 2" of the MLGS wil create that the adjustable block won't account for?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#14]
The BA barrels are out of stock.  I just submitted my first and second Form 1.  Anyone have a read on how long they are taking to process these days?    I'm thinking that an adjustable gas block, with running it suppressed and non-suppressed, will give me flexibility on the gas side.  If I were to cut the larue barrel down, are there any functional challenges the extra 2" of the MLGS wil create that the adjustable block won't account for?
View Quote
If you cut the LaRue down to 16", you'll have to know what gas port diameter you have.

I know AA uses .076" for both at MLGS.

Every .076" MLGS 16" Grendel I've built and test-fired has been a pussycat, whether AA or Lilja barrel.

I know that if I up the charge weights to published max loads with an 18" MLGS .076" port, cyclic rate will increase noticeably, as will ejection angle.

18" MLGS is also one of the hardest to suppress with conventional cans.

A LaRue 18" Stealth Grendel owner says his rifle runs the same with the LaRue Tranquillo suppressor, no changes to the gun at all.

If I was going to suppress, I would consider 14.5" or 13.7" as well with MLGS.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#15]

If I was going to suppress, I would consider 14.5" or 13.7" as well with MLGS.
View Quote
I know the spec for 556 and MLGS is 14-20" barrel length, but didn't know if this translates to Grendel.  Your answer about port size and barrel length and port size is leads me to believ there is more to it than I understand.  

I settled on a 7.5" multi caliber can I can use on my 762.  The more compact the better, as I was thinking a SBR, suppressed when possible, for general purpose Whitetail hunter, running on a pistol lower as my traveling truck gun. All this could change if the HPA passes in the next year.  I'd like to build the pistol out and run it while I wait.  A few guys at the range have cans and I'm hoping to give it a try to see how it feels balance wise.  It's a real pain in the butt to have to wait a year only to find out if what I'm planning runs correctly.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 1:58:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Just an FYI since I had been looking for them, but Midway just got in Hornady 123gr SSTs on sale for $26.49 for 100, couldn't find them before, and Hornady brass on sale for 250 pieces for $116.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I've used a grease pencil to do color fill on rifles. Never had a problem with it although I wouldn't leave it out in the Arizona sun I don't think 
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 1:52:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got a 12" Faxon barrel on the way, and a TBAC Ultra 5 30 can in jail.

Should make a fun little, lightweight blaster.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Just saw Whittaker guns has the Howa Mini on sale....
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#20]
I've got a few questions about 6.5 Grendel and I will try to ask them without sounding overly critical of the round.

Is 6.5 Grendel competitive?

I had rebarreled my precision AR to 6.5 Grendel a few years ago, but pulled it soon afterwards. Accuracy was horrible, but that was due to a bad barrel, no fault of the round. Velocity was unimpressive. I was only able to achieve 2450 with factory Hornady 123s. Had loads only got to 2400 or so before SDs went to shit. 20" barrel from custom barrel maker.

Comparing 6.5 Grendel to .223 and more common PRS round at 700 yards (limit of my local series) and atmospheric conditions experienced yesterday at a "sniper" series finale:

6.5 Grendel: 123 amax or eld @ 2500 fps
.223: 77 TMK @ 2800 fps
6mm Creedmoor: 105 Hybrid@ 3050 fps

All these are hot but not smoking loads.

Grendel: 6.2 mils drop, 1.6 drift
.223: 5.3 mils drop, 1.7 drift
6mm Creedmoor: 3.6 mils drop, 1.1 drift

While it does have a .1 mil drift advantage, I'm not sure if that's worth the disadvantages of cost, especially in regards to brass.

I shot in 2 series this year and at the beginning of the season there were a few 6.5 Grendel shooters in each. They all got smoked early on, some switching to .223. I suspect the reason for switch wasn't the shooter or the round itself, but rather logistics. I lose 75% of my brass in a match when running a gas gun. With .223 it's not a big deal, but I can see that as a problem with 6.5 Grendel. The .223s were surprisingly competitive with 4 out of the top 10 in yesterday's match.

So I guess what I'm trying to ask is:

Is the slight wind advantage worth the squeeze for a high volume shooter?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't have a Grendel so I can confirm any dope numbers but I don't see the Grendel being popular in the PRS Gas Gun matches because of the divisions.
I'm pretty sure you only have Open, Tac Lite(223/556), and Tac Heavy(308). The advantage of the Grendel is fitting in an Ar15. If a Grendel tries to compete with a 6.5CM or 6CM in the Open Division it'll get beat every time. If the divisions were by platform, Ar15 vs Ar10 the Grendel would be more popular.
For the brass issue I would look at the brass catcher options or just plan to write it off as a loss. Whichever is the cheaper way.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:14:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#22]
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:
I've got a few questions about 6.5 Grendel and I will try to ask them without sounding overly critical of the round.

Is 6.5 Grendel competitive?

I had rebarreled my precision AR to 6.5 Grendel a few years ago, but pulled it soon afterwards. Accuracy was horrible, but that was due to a bad barrel, no fault of the round. Velocity was unimpressive. I was only able to achieve 2450 with factory Hornady 123s. Had loads only got to 2400 or so before SDs went to shit. 20" barrel from custom barrel maker.

Comparing 6.5 Grendel to .223 and more common PRS round at 700 yards (limit of my local series) and atmospheric conditions experienced yesterday at a "sniper" series finale:

6.5 Grendel: 123 amax or eld @ 2500 fps
.223: 77 TMK @ 2800 fps
6mm Creedmoor: 105 Hybrid@ 3050 fps

All these are hot but not smoking loads.

Grendel: 6.2 mils drop, 1.6 drift
.223: 5.3 mils drop, 1.7 drift
6mm Creedmoor: 3.6 mils drop, 1.1 drift

While it does have a .1 mil drift advantage, I'm not sure if that's worth the disadvantages of cost, especially in regards to brass.

I shot in 2 series this year and at the beginning of the season there were a few 6.5 Grendel shooters in each. They all got smoked early on, some switching to .223. I suspect the reason for switch wasn't the shooter or the round itself, but rather logistics. I lose 75% of my brass in a match when running a gas gun. With .223 it's not a big deal, but I can see that as a problem with 6.5 Grendel. The .223s were surprisingly competitive with 4 out of the top 10 in yesterday's match.

So I guess what I'm trying to ask is:

Is the slight wind advantage worth the squeeze for a high volume shooter?
View Quote
Not sure what BC you have for the 77gr TMK, but I get:

Sea level
20" .223 Wylde 77gr TMK 2800fps: 5.6 drop 2.1 drift

18" 6.5 Grendel 123gr SMK 2500fps 700yds: -6.3 Mils drop/ 1.7 drift
20" 6.5 Grendel 130gr Berger OTM 2480fps 700yds:  -6.2 / 1.6

Compare an SMK and the TMK, not a bullet with a lower BC for a 123gr.  But yes, when I compare the 123gr SST or AMAX to the 77gr TMK, I see .1 mils of drift difference.  That's 2.5" at 700yds, so yes, I personally would take 2.5" advantage of hit probability on a plate compared to not hitting it, but I would complete with a better bullet like the 123gr SMK, 123gr Scenar, or 130gr Gold Medal Match load from Federal (Berger OTM Hybrid with much higher BC .564/.290).

What I see personally in my courses is a higher hit probability from the Grendel compared to both 77gr .223 and .308 168gr loads, as well as much more ease for spotters to see and hear the hit compared to .223 Rem especially.

I don't know many shooters who go less than 24" with 6 Creedmoor in both gas and bolt guns, but you're not going to beat a 6mm going over 3,000fps with a G7 BC around .3 or higher unless you shoot 147gr from the 6.5 Creedmoor when looking at drift.

If we compare a longer barreled Grendel with a good bullet, then we shave off some more wind drift.

For the brass issue, are the 6mm Creedmoor competitors ok with losing that brass?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the response.

I did not realize the SMK and other had that much of an advantage over Amax/ELD. They list the same BC but as we all know some companies are more accurate than others. My figures were at 1100 feet since that was the DA yesterday and I didn't have time to mess around with it. Now that I'm home, I'm seeing similar figures to yours at 5.4 and 2.0 according to shooter. My notes have me most commonly using 5.2-5.5 at that range (at higher DA than 0) so I think yours may be more accurate.

I threw the 6CM in there to show how close .223 and 6.5G are compared to other rounds. As mentioned above, PRS gas gun rules puts the 6.5 G in the open class, but in my series, its in the same class as .223. Obviously it would be unfair to compare 6.5G to 6CM. The brass loss issue was relative to .223.

The hit probably is good to know. I just haven't been around known good 6.5 Grendel shooters enough to see how it performs.

I ask this question because I'm considering the Larue 18" build kit as I already have a perfect competition oriented lower for it. Before yesterday I had not considered the Grendel, but a stage yesterday has me reconsidering. 6" plate at 636 yards from tripod. I took 4 shots at it and I swear my splashes were so close I couldn't have missed by more than an inch. I'm wondering if that little extra would have made the difference.

I forgot to mention barrel life. My Krieger .223 barrel has around 3200 on it and has lost significant velocity. What was once 2800 is now 2690. I'd imagine 6.5 Grendel would be better in that regard.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the response.

I did not realize the SMK and other had that much of an advantage over Amax/ELD. They list the same BC but as we all know some companies are more accurate than others. My figures were at 1100 feet since that was the DA yesterday and I didn't have time to mess around with it. Now that I'm home, I'm seeing similar figures to yours at 5.4 and 2.0 according to shooter. My notes have me most commonly using 5.2-5.5 at that range (at higher DA than 0) so I think yours may be more accurate.

I threw the 6CM in there to show how close .223 and 6.5G are compared to other rounds. As mentioned above, PRS gas gun rules puts the 6.5 G in the open class, but in my series, its in the same class as .223. Obviously it would be unfair to compare 6.5G to 6CM. The brass loss issue was relative to .223.

The hit probably is good to know. I just haven't been around known good 6.5 Grendel shooters enough to see how it performs.

I ask this question because I'm considering the Larue 18" build kit as I already have a perfect competition oriented lower for it. Before yesterday I had not considered the Grendel, but a stage yesterday has me reconsidering. 6" plate at 636 yards from tripod. I took 4 shots at it and I swear my splashes were so close I couldn't have missed by more than an inch. I'm wondering if that little extra would have made the difference.

I forgot to mention barrel life. My Krieger .223 barrel has around 3200 on it and has lost significant velocity. What was once 2800 is now 2690. I'd imagine 6.5 Grendel would be better in that regard.
View Quote
I'm showing 5.9 mils with Black Hills gold 123 smk bullets leaving my 20" at 2550fps. Now compared to my 24" .223wylde the trace is much easier to read. Especially when mirage starts factoring in. And the brass catcher's are Murphy waiting to happen. What was the temperature yesterday I plugged 82 degrees into shooter. The Black Hills gold is a little temperature sensitive compared to Hornady. But it's a little more accurate out of both my 20" and my 18" grendels. At 3200 rounds I think you need to swap barrels. I imagine you're getting some run out and inconsistencies from one round to the next.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:21:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

I'm showing 5.9 mils with Black Hills gold 123 smk bullets leaving my 20" at 2550fps. Now compared to my 24" .223wylde the trace is much easier to read. Especially when mirage starts factoring in. And the brass catcher's are Murphy waiting to happen. What was the temperature yesterday I plugged 82 degrees into shooter. The Black Hills gold is a little temperature sensitive compared to Hornady. But it's a little more accurate out of both my 20" and my 18" grendels. At 3200 rounds I think you need to swap barrels. I imagine you're getting some run out and inconsistencies from one round to the next.
View Quote
I had 62 degrees plugged in to shooter, although I care more about wind drift than drop.

.223 barrel at 3200 rounds is still holding accuracy with some bullets. Will still hold .5 MOA with 77 scenar-L. TMKs are losing accuracy due to throat erosion increasing jump. I've found TMKs to be jump sensitive and I can't chase lands and still fit in a mag. I'm already using an ASC mag with 2.310" length.

At this point my season is done and I doubt I'll compete with this barrel again. Next year I will either rebarrel, or shoot open with a 6mm CM AR I just built (if I can get it to shoot).
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#26]
I had 62 degrees plugged in to shooter, although I care more about wind drift than drop.

.223 barrel at 3200 rounds is still holding accuracy with some bullets. Will still hold .5 MOA with 77 scenar-L. TMKs are losing accuracy due to throat erosion increasing jump. I've found TMKs to be jump sensitive and I can't chase lands and still fit in a mag. I'm already using an ASC mag with 2.310" length.

At this point my season is done and I doubt I'll compete with this barrel again. Next year I will either rebarrel, or shoot open with a 6mm CM AR I just built (if I can get it to shoot).
View All Quotes

I bet you get it to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Thanks for the response.

How about something like this one?

http://www.brasscatchers.com/store/univbc.html

Guy I was at the range with a year or so back had one mounted to his 6.5 Grendel rifle and I was suprised at how sturdy andreliable it was. Granted, you're only gonna get about 25-30 rounds in it before it's full, but that should be fine for a match.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By MaxxII:

Guy I was at the range with a year or so back had one mounted to his 6.5 Grendel rifle and I was suprised at how sturdy andreliable it was. Granted, you're only gonna get about 25-30 rounds in it before it's full, but that should be fine for a match.
View All Quotes
Thanks for the response.

Maybe I have a net one smaller than that and it bounces cases from the  AR10 back into the ejector port on occasion. The velcro ones are just a malfunction waiting to happen. Plus your adding swinging weight to a rifle being fired from some different positions that are done difficult to begin with.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote
That does not look compatible with my spuhr mount. Or any other one piece mount.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for the response.

View Quote
I'm using Litz BCs for the bullets, not manufacturer's stated BCs.

Twist rate has an effect on BC as well, with tighter twist maximizing it generally.  I don't know if Litz has tested the 77gr TMK, but he tested the 69grTMK and 3 of the .308 TMKs.  The 69gr TMK had a higher BC than advertised, the 125gr .308 was higher, the 155gr TMK was lower, and the 175gr TMK was about dead-on.

Sierra also makes a 130gr 6.5mm TMK.

Throat life is much longer in 6.5 Grendel because we run with much lower working pressure at 50ksi max.  With chambers being gas-checked with pressures higher than 55-58ksi regularly, you're going to see throat erosion.  PRS guys that I know shooting 6mm re-barrel every 1k rounds and don't look back.  Price of performance is worth it when you place higher in match after match, especially at some of the matches I go to where the prize tables have multiple chassis, NightForce ATACRs, USO scopes, Bartlein barrels, TBAC and SiCo suppressors, Stiller or Surgeon actions, complete rifles from JP, gear, Lapua brass, packs, bags, % off training courses, steel targets, bullets, etc.

Litz BC for the 123gr SMK is .522 G1/.260 G7.  That bullet looks really close to a 123gr Scenar, both of which buck the wind well.

For those longer shots on smaller plates, I want all the BC I can get if the match places high value on those targets, as they should in the scoring.

The cartridge really to beat for these competitions is a little 6mm Grendel, but nobody makes factory brass or ammo for it that I know of.  Now you have the .590-.615 G1/.285 - .310 G7 bullets going pretty fast, with recoil like a .223 Rem, from the AR15 action.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Anyone running the JP Silent Capture Spring setup on their Grendel?  Thinking of trying one out, not sure if I should go with the standard or H2 equivalent.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:23:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maxxmojo] [#32]
Originally Posted By TSU45:

Anyone running the JP Silent Capture Spring setup on their Grendel?  Thinking of trying one out, not sure if I should go with the standard or H2 equivalent.
View Quote
I'm running the standard one on my 16" AA upper, and the H2 equivalent on my 18" Lilja barreled upper. The standard would probably work in both of them just fine though.

ETA: They're both mid-length gas systems.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#33]
I figured this would be the best thread to post this question in. I've wanted to take the Grendel plunge for awhile but have held back until I figured out exactly what I wanted. I think I have settled on a 12.5" barrel from BA, so my question being is the 12.5 a good start into Grendel for MY needs? To give background on its purpose for me is I want a multi purpose rifle. Local range goes out to 600 yards so that is probably the farthest I'll be shooting from a bench resting aspect. I've even had some thoughts of using it in a couple carbine classes with the cheap steel wolf ammo. Hunting is at the bottom of my list but would still be a possibility to me. The allure of a light and handy rifle with a big leg up on 5.56 seems to point me in this direction. Not that it makes much of a difference but it will hopefully be wearing a Dead Air Sandman-S in the near future.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:18:32 PM EDT
[#34]
I just got my 12" Faxon barrel in for a lightweight, compact, suppressed do-all blaster.

Looking at PDW braces now.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote
I'm running the H2 and it's working great.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#36]
I just got my 12" Faxon barrel in for a lightweight, compact, suppressed do-all blaster.

Looking at PDW braces now.
View Quote
Hey LRRPF52,

Long time no see. I just started reading again recently.  Sounds like another cool build.  Look forward to seeing it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:25:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Maybe the wrong place to post this, but Brownells has Nosler Accubond LR 6.5 129gr projectiles in stock.

Linky
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 10:58:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Any idea on how the Hornady 120 gr ELDs compare to the 123 gr ELDs as far as accuracy and performance?  Is there even really a difference?
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:32:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By bill3508:
View All Quotes

I called and asked JP, they recommended the H2 for my LaRue Grendel. Not sure if I'm going to pony up or not.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Ronnoc:
Any idea on how the Hornady 120 gr ELDs compare to the 123 gr ELDs as far as accuracy and performance?  Is there even really a difference?
View Quote
123gr ELD-M, which is an updated 123gr AMAX, is meant for 6.5 Grendel mag-fed COL.

The 120gr ELD-M, taken from the 120gr AMAX, is meant for longer throats like in the 6.5CM and .260 Rem, depending on how those are chambered.

The 120gr Hornady bullets have to be seated deeper in the Grendel chamber due to the tangent ogive.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 12:15:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Tubashot:
I called and asked JP, they recommended the H2 for my LaRue Grendel. Not sure if I'm going to pony up or not.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tubashot:

My complete LaRue Stealth 2.0 Grendel uses a standard carbine buffer.

It runs like a race gun tuned JP that way.  It feels better than any of my 5.56 guns even, the way it cycles so smoothly and like mechanical clockwork.

It runs better than my MLGS 18" Lilja build with an SCS buffer/recoil system that I guess I need to tune some more with the right weights or spring.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:12:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tubashot] [#42]
My complete LaRue Stealth 2.0 Grendel uses a standard carbine buffer.

It runs like a race gun tuned JP that way.  It feels better than any of my 5.56 guns even, the way it cycles so smoothly and like mechanical clockwork.

It runs better than my MLGS 18" Lilja build with an SCS buffer/recoil system that I guess I need to tune some more with the right weights or spring.
View Quote
I have the standard JP SCS in mine (upper kit + LaRue lower). Its run perfectly but I've seen reports of some guys getting better accuracy after going to h2 SCS. (Don't know enough to know why that would or wouldn't effect accuracy.) Hence the call to JP. I've yet to ring out accuracy in mine though as I'm waiting on new glass. I have a standard spring and H2 buffer I may AB compare at the range.

Hopefully this weekend...
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:27:09 PM EDT
[#43]
So, I took my new 6.5 Grendel upper out today, it is a Bear Creek Arsenal upper 16" a govt profile contour and nitrided.  I was shooting 123 AMAX factory loads.  The trigger is a Geisele SS E.  The FH is a YHM with a YHM Ti 762 Phantom.

My first target with the suppressor on looked like Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder were out at the range with a shotgun.  That is a 10 round group.  I decided to try it without the suppressor, the second target which shot high of the POA grouped vastly better (the flyers were me, not the most steady). Not sure why that is happening.

I was thinking of trying my Recce 7 but wanted it lighter for hunting, plus I had the mount already.  Might try buying a mount for my Recce and try it.  I have used the YHM on a bolt gun, Ruger GSR in 308, and it worked great.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:05:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mitsuman47] [#44]
Originally Posted By Ronnoc:
So, I took my new 6.5 Grendel upper out today, it is a Bear Creek Arsenal upper 16" a govt profile contour and nitrided.  I was shooting 123 AMAX factory loads.  The trigger is a Geisele SS E.  The FH is a YHM with a YHM Ti 762 Phantom.

My first target with the suppressor on looked like Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder were out at the range with a shotgun.  That is a 10 round group.  I decided to try it without the suppressor, the second target which shot high of the POA grouped vastly better (the flyers were me, not the most steady). Not sure why that is happening.

I was thinking of trying my Recce 7 but wanted it lighter for hunting, plus I had the mount already.  Might try buying a mount for my Recce and try it.  I have used the YHM on a bolt gun, Ruger GSR in 308, and it worked great.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/73248/IMG_20171009_164054316__2_-329428.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/73248/IMG_20171009_163636278__2_-329430.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/73248/IMG_20171009_163647760__2_-329431.JPG
View Quote
Get it to a qualified smith to check thread concentricity, and that the shoulder is square. 

I wouldn't shoot anything else through it with a can attached until I got it checked out.

Edit: or contact bear Creek to see if they'll look at it. 
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:26:17 PM EDT
[#45]
I will pull the FH off and check, to get and see if I can get an idea.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:27:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronnoc] [#46]
Some further checking:

Looks like the dimensions might be an issue.

Barrel diameter at the shoulder is .700 and YHM states it should be .720 for indexing on the shoulder
Thread diameter is .620 and YHM states the max is .625
The length of the threads from the shoulder to the muzzle is .620 and YHM says it should be .710 for indexing off of the muzzle. It is .620-.680 for indexing off of the shoulder.

FYI for those who get and want to suppress it, check the threading requirements.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:20:39 PM EDT
[#47]
How does the 123g ELD compare to the 185g Berger FGMM? Factory loads and lets say 20inch barrels.

I got out of the long range game again when I got a new house but am looking at building a 6.5g or getting a .308 Tikka.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:45:41 PM EDT
[#48]
18 of the top 20 places in the last local PRS match were 6mm and 6.5mm, with the 6.5mm Creedmoor placing 10 of the top 15 places.  No one is shooting 6.5 Grendel in these matches, as it is out paced by the Creedmoors.  If you are into LR shooting, you might want to look closer at the large frame kits.  The Grendel is a great cartridge for a small frame AR.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 10:25:47 PM EDT
[#50]
My Grendel is getting a big brother soon. It’s going to be fun having both side by side to play with.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top