Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2017 2:24:55 AM EDT
Maybe this question has been posed before, looked but didn't see it.

Thinking its time to add 6.5creedmoor to my clan.
Overlooking the bias to what you own, what would you buy? ...and what were the deciding factors?

Ruger RPR
Tikka T3x CTR
Bergara B14  BMP -or- HMR
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:42:51 AM EDT
[#1]
RPR FTW.  Have had mine out to 1185 yards no problems, and I'm new to long-range shooting.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:17:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Seems like they all shoot well. The tikka is quite a bit lighter than the others.

The tikka mags are superior albeit expensive.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:57:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the RPR on layaway.
But a Tikka for Christmas would be pleasantly appreciated in the  .223 rem flavor.
The Howa chassis rifle in 6.5 Grendel would also make a fine toy.

Too many guns not enough money.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Tikka would be my pick followed by Bergara and the RPR.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you plan to keep it stock or modify?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:
Do you plan to keep it stock or modify?
View Quote
My plan would be to keep the stock for the first few 100 rounds. At that point, if I experience difficulties with it I would modify.
Given the design and overall quality of these 4 rifles listed, I don't anticipate the need to do that.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:12:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Aby001:
Tikka would be my pick followed by Bergara and the RPR.
View Quote
This would be my choice also
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:21:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Tikka all the way, and have shot them all.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:36:49 AM EDT
[#10]
+ 1 on the Tikka. The action and the 70 degree bolt throw on the Tikkas are a huge advantage.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:53:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Another vote to the Tikka. Lots of rifle for the money.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd be very interested to hear from anyone that has experience with both the Bergara BMP and the Ruger. I'm interested in the differences found between the two and any conclusions reached from the shooters perspective.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:45:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I've shot them all too and although I really like the Tikka and Bergara offerings, I just see a substantial amount of support for the RPR's (LRI and Patriot Valley are now offering pre-chambered barrels for the RPR's).  

That being said, by the time you've dropped all that coin on upgrading the RPR, you may as well have gone out and bought a custom...

Screw it, go custom.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:48:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Tikka and replace the stock.
Or save a little more and go with the Bergara Premier LRP. It puts the others to shame IMO.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:55:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Tikka in a Manners stock or a KRG Whiskey 3 depending on if you want a chassis or not.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Tikka.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:28:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Bergara
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Tikka in a chassis

Link Posted: 8/25/2017 2:01:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: history18] [#19]
Sako/Tikka QC is top-tier but CTR is falling a little behind the times with proprietary mags and tupperware stock. Still a nice handy rifle.

For the price & size of the RPR I could do something better with a donor action. Inclu. a reputable custom barrel instead of just having "the precision look".

Bergara HMR feature list is tempting: AI mags, mini-chassis, 700 foot print without being a 700. They're raising the bar @ the price.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I was debating between Tikka CTR and Bergara BMP. I didn't like the fact that the CTR magazine can fall out of the gun and yes I am aware of the mod with a screwdriver and bending the tab back but cmon, I shouldn't have to do that to a brand new rifle. I much prefer the standard AICS Mags (actualy like the Magpul ones the best). That being said I went with the BMP and the fit/finish is top notch! just waiting on a scope to throw on it to hit the range. I like that Bergara included a little aluminum Shim in case you need it for your scope rail as well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 3:59:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Glad OP posted this - I've been mostly a pistol shooter but I want to add variety and get in to longer range precision shooting. I had been thinking Tikka but then read the thread here with all the love for the RPR so was tempted by that. I'm leaning towards the Tikka stainless CTR 24" in 6.5.  A bit annoyed that a missed a deal on it last week for $899.

I'm curious about the Bergara HMR though. Hadn't heard about that before this thread. The BMP in 6.5 is very tempting but also closer to $1300 from what I can see in searches. The HMR is more in line with the CTR in price at $949.

I don't see myself doing much in terms of mods. I just want a solid rifle to practice with to get my skill level up to its capability. I suspect either will work well for that?
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I just purchased the Bergara 22" 6.5 Creedmoor and am very happy with it. 41.0 grains of H4350 under a 130 grain Norma Golden Match bullet seated to jump .010" netted 5/8" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. Lapua brass (small rifle primer) and CCI-450 primers. Velocity was 2650 fps from the short barrel.

For a factory rifle it has a very nice trigger, an extended bolt knob, accepts detachable magazines and has an aluminum bedding block. Out-the-door for under $1000.00. It's impossible to argue the value. I installed a Saker 7.62mm flash hider, a PRI (Precision Reflex International) 20 moa scope base (which I bedded with Devcon steel epoxy).

I'm using a Leupold 24x target scope for load development purposes only. I'll probably buy a Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40 TMR reticle scope once I narrow down my load data. Recoil is minimal, nothing like a .308 which was my standard prior to this purchase. Overall I am very pleased with the rifle.

If you want a quality rifle on a budget I would go with the Bergara. If you want to go whole hog look at something with a starting price much higher. When it's all said and done I'll have $2000 - $2150 in this rifle once I settle on a scope.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By history18:
Sako/Tikka QC is top-tier but CTR is falling a little behind the times with proprietary mags and tupperware stock. Still a nice handy rifle.
View Quote
I like that it comes with a cheap stock. It keeps the price low so the end user can upgrade to whatever they prefer. Also, the mags are getting cheaper and easier to find and offer a few advantages over the AICS mags. I use AI's in my Tikkas but the CTR and TRG mags are very good magazines.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:57:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By m_later:
Glad OP posted this - I've been mostly a pistol shooter but I want to add variety and get in to longer range precision shooting. I had been thinking Tikka but then read the thread here with all the love for the RPR so was tempted by that. I'm leaning towards the Tikka stainless CTR 24" in 6.5.  A bit annoyed that a missed a deal on it last week for $899.
View Quote
Not sure if this helps, but the stainless Tikka T3x CTR is being sold here for $879. You'll have to request the price via email, once you get the email you can add it to your cart.

Whittaker Guns
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 11:24:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigJimmyRustler] [#25]
Originally Posted By Steelhammer:

Not sure if this helps, but the stainless Tikka T3x CTR is being sold here for $879. You'll have to request the price via email, once you get the email you can add it to your cart.

Whittaker Guns
View Quote
Bought my CTR from them a month or two ago and they're GTG
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 11:28:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By mathecb:
Another vote to the Tikka. Lots of rifle for the money.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:14:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Steelhammer:

Whittaker Guns
View Quote
Thanks. I had known about that but I was looking at the 24" barrel which was at $899 but is sold out now. I've built up $800 of cabela's gift cards at a cost of $640 so far, so would be nice to find a deal through them that was comparable. But I could also just pay cash somewhere else and use the GCs to get a good scope. I've set an alert on gun deals for both Tikka and the HMR. We'll see which has a deal first.  

Actually, just noticed the HMR is a 22" barrel. I had thought I read it was 24. Now wondering if I really need 24 or if the 20 would be good enough for my usage, especially as I have a SiCO hybrid to put on it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:16:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd vote Tikka as well. And I like the stock it comes with -- I don't plan on putting another chassis on it. It works fine the way it came.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By The_Accuser:
Tikka in a chassis

http://i.imgur.com/n28ysfE.jpg
View Quote
Very nice.

Details?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
Tikka and replace the stock.
Or save a little more and go with the Bergara Premier LRP. It puts the others to shame IMO.
View Quote
I agree, didn't know they were priced as low as they are.

https://gun.deals/product/bergara-premier-lrp-65mm-creedmoor-24-threading-5-rd-1263-price-match?view=list
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 2:32:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By m6z:

I agree, didn't know they were priced as low as they are.

https://gun.deals/product/bergara-premier-lrp-65mm-creedmoor-24-threading-5-rd-1263-price-match?view=list
View Quote
That price was a mistake, if it were even available. I had tried and couldn't get same price.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Bergera has been getting good responses. I like the Tikka, but like longer barrels then they offer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top