Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2017 10:24:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WBUG762]
Hey Guys, I've been wanting to upgrade my handful of bolt guns for a long time. I have a savage 10 PC 308, savage 10 predator hunter 223, cz 527 762x39, and I FINALLY pulled the trigger on a Tikka T3x CTR 24" 6.5 CM. I am so darn excited to get my hands on that tikka.

I have plans for the savages which include bedded B&C m40 stocks, action truing (this is undecided,someone please help), and I have two vortex viper 6-20x50s. I love the idea of these two savages being identical besides chambering. They are both factory barrels, one came threaded the other is off getting threaded now, wanted these two ready ASAP for my sico omega coming soon hopefully. I am also looking into NSS lugs and nuts for these, can anyone attest to them increasing accuracy?

Does anyone have any suggestions for the savages? I would really like to squeeze a bit more accuracy out of them. I know there is about a 50/50 split on people's opinions to whether a savage needs trued or not... These are both MOA guns with freedom munitions remans, which is great but I'd like better.

Now the big question; need ideas for the tikka! What scope? What stock? (Prob will stick with factory at first, but I hate the look of it). True the tikka and go all the way with it? I like the KRG chassis but have always preferred the Looks of the more traditional synthetic stocks.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I really have not had enough experience trueing the Savage action to give an opinion. But I did have a local machine shop make me a bigger recoil lug years ago. That and bedding I think was more productive. I just have mixed emotions on the threaded barrel nut being true to the threads. I would bed the recoil lug first unless you're getting a premium barrel. And then I would consider trueing the action.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
I really have not had enough experience trueing the Savage action to give an opinion. But I did have a local machine shop make me a bigger recoil lug years ago. That and bedding I think was more productive. I just have mixed emotions on the threaded barrel nut being true to the threads. I would bed the recoil lug first unless you're getting a premium barrel. And then I would consider trueing the action.
View Quote
I like that idea. Saves me money up front too. I was going to have the 223 done up with trued action face, lapped lugs, NSS parts to see if it made a difference before I did the 308 too.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:48:55 AM EDT
[#3]
These guys make a really nice looking stock for the Tikka, and someone on here did a brief write up a while back.

http://www.german-gun-stock.de

Also, I don't really see a Tikka action needing to be trued.  They tend to shoot very well right out of the box.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CoffeeRocks:
These guys make a really nice looking stock for the Tikka, and someone on here did a brief write up a while back.

http://www.german-gun-stock.de

Also, I don't really see a Tikka action needing to be trued.  They tend to shoot very well right out of the box.
View Quote
very nice looking stocks, wonder hoe they compare to a McMillan or manners
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I would start with the 223 Savage by putting a better stock on it and maybe bed it.  Then I would learn how to make match reloads for it using quality components.  Start off at 100 yards and work your way out until you start missing targets.  Learn why you are missing which is key to long range shooting.

As far as the Tikka goes, you have a pretty good rifle already.  My personal choice in scopes right now is the Burris XTR II 5-25 SCR-Mil.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top