Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2017 6:21:27 PM EDT
The title is sort of click bait as "best" is totally subjective, but I'm looking for recommendations in the $1000-$1500 price range, of a "tactically" oriented bolt gun. I want to stick with .308, I know 6.5 is much better but I want to shoot off the shelf ammo and not go broke doing it. Plus I live in commi NY so the competition of the internet ammunition market doesn't apply to me unfortunately. Accuracy is of the utmost importance, but I don't want a 15lbs rifle either. I will primarily be shooting from a bench but want to take a class with it next summer.

I had my mind made up and was going to go with the tried and true Remington 700, specifically the 24" Police 5R version, but due to Remington's intermittent quality control issues and the 700's crappy extraction, I'm second guessing that decision. I'm also eyeing the Tikka CTR and possibly a Savage. I really like the Savage 10BA Ashbury Precision, but it weighs as much as a RPR so that probably wouldn't happen.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:45:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: usmcchet9296] [#1]
First off the Police version of the Remington is not a production line rifle so its quality is much better than the standard 700 as is the 5R Remington 24inch barreled version
308 is fine for a 600 yard gun and will reach out to 1000 but that takes skill and luck
the RPR, Tikka, Berger??, Savage all should fit the bill too
I know the RPR can easily be converted to another short action cartridge if you decide to change later like 6.5 or 6mm
I would suggest you get into reloading
its more cost effective and more accurate than off the shelf ammo and the initial investment would be between 300 and 1000 bucks in equipment
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:51:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Redline870:
The title is sort of click bait as "best" is totally subjective, but I'm looking for recommendations in the $1000-$1500 price range, of a "tactically" oriented bolt gun. I want to stick with .308, I know 6.5 is much better but I want to shoot off the shelf ammo and not go broke doing it. Plus I live in commi NY so the competition of the internet ammunition market doesn't apply to me unfortunately. Accuracy is of the utmost importance, but I don't want a 15lbs rifle either. I will primarily be shooting from a bench but want to take a class with it next summer.

I had my mind made up and was going to go with the tried and true Remington 700, specifically the 24" Police 5R version, but due to Remington's intermittent quality control issues and the 700's crappy extraction, I'm second guessing that decision. I'm also eyeing the Tikka CTR and possibly a Savage. I really like the Savage 10BA Ashbury Precision, but it weighs as much as a RPR so that probably wouldn't happen.

Anyone have any suggestions?
View Quote

I wonder what it cost to install a Sako or Ar style extractor now. But the Crappy extractor is easy to replace if it does break.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:58:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ghostface] [#3]
With that budget I'd get an FN from Tacord...

http://www.tacticalcoordination.com/308-tactical-sniper-rifles.html

My shooting partner has one and it is done right from the factory unlike the R700 that I paid a Smith to do. The FN is a true 1/2 now rifle right out the box....
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:23:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kells81] [#4]
I have the following in the safe in 308.  

Rem 700 SPS Tactical AAC

Tikka CTR T3X or I or whatever the fuck it is.  Currently stock but I have plans for a KRG chassis

Ruger RPR (6.5 but close enough)

Custom in AICS with Badger 2013 action.

OF those 4 the one that impresses me the most is the bone stock Tikka CTR. I gave my dealers cost on it but I am sure they can be had in the $900 range.  Probably find them $750 used.   It has a decent DBM and decent stock.  Super nice bolt throw and decent trigger.  

The SPS tactical was the shit at the time I bought it.  I spent another good bit to get a DBM and $200 on a used HS Stock.  I am sure I am in the $1000 range on it easily.  Its old enough to still be a decent remington 700

The RPR while not a 308 it shares everything the 308 has.   I haven't shot it because I plan on modding it a bit but overall for the money it is OK.  

The Badger/AICS isn't even in the same league.  ITs a true custom rifle but I do like the Tikka action more.  

Better Trigger- Tikka
Better bolt action- Tikka
Better DBM-  Rem because its a badger,  the Tikka has a better stock setup but the mags are expensive. RPR takes cheaper mags
Better stock options-  Remington but Tikka is catching up
Optics Mount- Tikka came with one as does the RPR

You also have a nice offering from savage in the $600 range but honestly its still a savage.  I may buy one to piddle with in the future
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I ended up with the Bergara BMP (.308) but they also make it in 6.5. Still deciding on a scope but I can tell you the fit and finish is AMAZING!!!! Got it from Grabagun for $1200.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:15:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the responses everyone.

I wasn't aware that the 700 Police 5R was not a production rifle, that gives me a little more confidence. Plus it comes with an oversized bolt knob, steel bottom metal, an optics rail, and I'm pretty sure (don't quote me on this) a nicer trigger. It is expensive though at almost $1400 for the 24" version. I really want the Remington simply because I have ALWAYS wanted a Remington 700, as long as I can remember. I was considering the M16 extractor upgrade to solve the possible and likely extraction problems.

The Tikka CTR sounds like a much better bang for you buck though... no pun intended. How is the durability of the Tikka? Is it a rifle that you would consider to "last your lifetime"?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:22:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

The Tikka CTR sounds like a much better bang for you buck though... no pun intended. How is the durability of the Tikka? Is it a rifle that you would consider to "last your lifetime"?
View Quote
Yes.  The absolute best fit and finish of any rifle within it's price point.   The bolt is glass smooth and is miles beyond anyone else on a production rifle.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:15:34 PM EDT
[#8]
The bolt is glass smooth and is miles beyond anyone else on a production rifle.
View Quote
Sums it up pretty well.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:49:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By kells81:

Sums it up pretty well.
View Quote
X3 I have tried to find the ball bearings but they hid them well.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:14:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Sums it up pretty well.
View Quote
I hate to even open up this can of worms but you two have clearly never handled Bergara's Premier action.   Next to the B LRP action, I would have to agree with you though on the Tikka.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:08:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Does the Tikka T3X CTR have an option for a 24" barrel in .308? I can not find that option anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:22:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Beretta probably doesn't import a 24" version.   They've been odd like that with Tikka.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:29:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:

I hate to even open up this can of worms but you two have clearly never handled Bergara's Premier action.   Next to the B LRP action, I would have to agree with you though on the Tikka.
View Quote
Sure..    Not impressed with the Bergara guns honestly but each their own.   I have fondled the shit out of them at Cabelas but nothing in it makes me want to bring one home to actually shoot.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Redline870:
Does the Tikka T3X CTR have an option for a 24" barrel in .308? I can not find that option anywhere.
View Quote
I think the only 24" CTR is the 6.5CM
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:41:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Baergara B14 HMR.  I hear some street prices around $900

http://www.bergarausa.com/bergara_b-14_series_hmr_hunting_and_match_rifle.php
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Infidel4life11:
Baergara B14 HMR.  I hear some street prices around $900

http://www.bergarausa.com/bergara_b-14_series_hmr_hunting_and_match_rifle.php
View Quote
There is one on the Cabelas Gun Library rack in Buda for $550.   Brand new with box, paperwork, etc.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#17]
If you are thinking about the Savage Stealth double check to make sure it has a 20MOA rail. The regular Stealths have a 0MOA rail and Savage decided to thread the receiver for 8-40 screws, which do not fit a lot of the 20MOA rails on the market. EGW will sell you a modded rail for $10 extra and a week for machine time.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:22:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spill] [#18]

There is one on the Cabelas Gun Library rack in Buda for $550.   Brand new with box, paperwork, etc.
View Quote
If you wanted to A/B test or try the action on the entire Bergara bolt catalog in the Austin area for anyone else, Bass Pro has the B14 action BMP and HMR guns, plus the LRP and LRP Elite on the rack in store.  Least they did two weeks ago.  Given their prices, they're almost certainly still there.

I love my two lug BMP in 6.5.  It's exceptionally smooth.  I paid 1300.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Tikka.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I have had a few 700's they were nice, but after I bought my first Tikka I haven't given Remington another thought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top