Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2017 2:55:51 PM EDT
Hey all, I'm looking for a new rifle to fill the gap between my 22-250 and 7mag. Right now I've got a Tikka 243 and im not a fan of the rifle so it's going down the river.

I'm considering a 260, 6.5 creed, and 7mm-08 in either a ruger American predator, bergara hunter or browning xbolt.

Can anyone give me their experience with these? And recommend anything else possibly? (Please no tikka or savage)
Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Out of curiosity what don't you like about the Tikka?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jlficken:
Out of curiosity what don't you like about the Tikka?
View Quote
Not to crazy about the accuracy and really disappointed in the way it's wearing. After riding in my passenger seat most of fall and winter last year the barrel was rusting pretty good and the finish on the stock started showing wear. I live in Montana with very low humidity and my old 7mag Rem BDL was treated similarly  and doesn't show any of this wear.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:41:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:46:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Humidity might be low but it's the temp swings and dew point that's going to cause trouble. Likely a painted stainless gun wil survive the best. Also simply having it in a gun sock or something will go a real long way.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:32:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:33:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I can't recommend a Ruger American or Browning over a Tikka so I guess give the Bergara a try.

My Tikka .243 shoots bugholes, has since day 1. My 6.5 Creedmoor is even better. Never seen one in person that wasn't a great shooter with good ammo.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Remington92:
Also does anyone have experience with this scope? Seems like a decent buy.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2420772363/vortex-optics-viper-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-65-20x-44mm-side-focus-dead-hold-bdc-reticle-matte
View Quote
What about this Viper? And just out of curiosity why are the Ruger predator not recommended? i just saw they're now making it in 6.5 and stainless, which is appealing. However the bergara hunter i handled was a slick well built looking rifle. Wish you could get the hmr barreled action in a lighter package like the predator.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:20:36 PM EDT
[#8]

What about this Viper? And just out of curiosity why are the Ruger predator not recommended? i just saw they're now making it in 6.5 and stainless, which is appealing. However the bergara hunter i handled was a slick well built looking rifle. Wish you could get the hmr barreled action in a lighter package like the predator.
View Quote
That link isn't working...maybe just for me...but I always seem to be able to pull up Midway links.  I think you ought to get whatever rifle does the deal for you, but for a truck gun I wouldn't worry too much about cosmetics.  You definitely sound like a stainless candidate.  I know you said "no Savage", but CDNN has the stainless Savage 16 Trophy Hunter XP .243 on sale with factory mounted mediocre Bushnell Trophy scope all for $430.  It's a truck gun.  Throw that thing in the back seat and don't worry about it at that price...LOL!  And no...I'm not a shill for Savage.  I only recently bought a short action Savage setup to build up a rifle.  Never owned the brand before.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Also does anyone have experience with this scope? Seems like a decent buy.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2420772363/vortex-optics-viper-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-65-20x-44mm-side-focus-dead-hold-bdc-reticle-matte
View Quote
sportsman out door superstore has FFP 6-26 illuminateds for 675 shipped, with  those cartriges you can really reach, why not have the reticle for it?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:23:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mathecb] [#10]

View Quote
I'm not saying the Ruger is a bad gun for the price, they are actually pretty good. They are a budget/disposable rifle though and the quality isn't on par with what you would get with Tikka or Bergara. It may be just what you are looking for as a truck gun though.

I would look at a SWFA scopes in that price range. I don't think there is a better made optic until you look at spending $700+. Most of the cheaper variable power scopes are hit or miss. I'd rather not chance it, SWFA puts out scopes that track better than some well known optics costing 2x-3x as much.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Just picked up the Bergara BMP rifle, very nice quality. They are coming out with an adapter for it that will be folding and accept AR-15 style stocks so you could fold it up for a good truck gun. I got mine from grabagun for $1200+$7 flat shipping.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Well just left the shop with a begara hunter in 6.5 topped with a vortex rage 5-20x50. Hopefully she's a tack driver!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:09:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm in the market for the same thing. I have an AR that stays in my truck but I would like to couple it with a bolt gun/ varmint type rifle with some magnification on top.

I've settled on a Ruger American Predator and I'll probably upgrade to a Timney trigger and definitely put it in a Magpul hunter stock when they hit the market. Probably go with a Primary Arms R-Grid reticle scope.

Should be able to keep the rifle just under 1k and from all I've seen the predators are tack drivers.

My only dilemma is caliber, I have 308s so that's the logical choice but I have been wanting to try the 6.5 cm and now I see they have one chambered in 6mm cm and the numbers on that look great for what I want.

I'd say for a truck gun the predator is tough to beat, you can upgrade it and still keep it under 1k
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:33:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Well just left the shop with a begara hunter in 6.5 topped with a vortex rage 5-20x50. Hopefully she's a tack driver!
View Quote
If you meant Vortex Razor 5-20x50 you did well. I think you will be very happy with that setup.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By mathecb:

If you meant Vortex Razor 5-20x50 you did well. I think you will be very happy with that setup.
View Quote
No it's a rage, some kind of scheels exclusive, they said it's the same glass as a Viper hs I believe
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:55:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:04:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Does anyone know what thread the bergara uses for its bolt knob?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:13:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Ah, looks like an exclusive offering. Never heard of a Scheels before.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like the HST line, decent glass for a truck gun, just keep an eye on your knobs.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:39:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By mathecb:
Ah, looks like an exclusive offering. Never heard of a Scheels before.
View Quote
Scheel's are primarily in the upper midwest, but slowly moving further south.  There's one in in Kansas City now.  Best way I can describe the store- imagine if you took a store like Dick's Sporting Goods, loaded it with all the premium brands and products in any given sporting goods category, and then hired professional sales people to work there.  Pretty cool store if you ever get the chance to check one out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top