Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2017 7:19:16 AM EDT
I'm getting a Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5cm. I've never had a "long range" gun before. What rings and base to you recommend?

Also, I currently have a Zeiss HD-5 with the 1,000yd reticle. Will I be satisfied with this scope or do I need to try to trade for something different? Recommendations?

What about a bipod?

Reloading supplies for maximum accuracy? All my reloading supplies so far are for full length sizing and leans toward bulk production over precision.

Thanks in advance for all of the help!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:35:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#1]
Originally Posted By CKyleC:

Also, I currently have a Zeiss HD-5 with the 1,000yd reticle. Will I be satisfied with this scope or do I need to try to trade for something different? Recommendations?

What about a bipod?

Reloading supplies for maximum accuracy? All my reloading supplies so far are for full length sizing and leans toward bulk production over precision.

View Quote
I would get a different scope but that would work. Too many scope options to list. Same with rings and base, so many good ones to choose from.

Harris notch leg with swivel, 6-9" for bench shooting I suppose, I use 9-13" but never shoot from a bench.

You don't really need anything special to load precision rounds. Good components..... most of it is up to you and your skill level....and the rifle.

Get a Hornady headspace comparitor for simple and proper sizing of brass. Do not get a headspace gage, they are a waste and cause confusion, your rifle is your gage.
Headspace comparitor set

Get a Hornady bullet comparitor so you can properly measure your rounds.
Bullet comparitor set

It is nice to have a Hornady OAL gage with appropriate modified case so you can easily determine the distance to lands for a given bullet.
Modified case
OAL gage straight

If you don't have dies yet get a Forster Ultra or Redding Competition seating die so your bullets get seated straight.

If you get good brass a bushing sizing die is nice for choosing your neck tension, bad brass varies in neck wall thickness from case to case so neck tension will vary as well, not ideal.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:39:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I snagged a HMR 6.5 Creedmoor a few weeks back.

Based on previous experience using the Hornady 140gr HPBT in a 6.5 Creedmoor and reports here, I bought a box of Hornady American Gunner 140gr HPBT.  The American Gunner is lower velocity than 140gr ELD-M ammo (I'm getting 2575ish with the A.G.) and the bullet has a much lower BC than the 140gr ELD-M...but it'll get to a grand with NO problem.

I'm probably not going to do a MOA Challenge target with mine, but it has absolutely lived up to the sub-MOA guarantee on the box with the A.G. ammo.  For a buck a round, it is an excellent value.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#3]
What scope, rings, and mount are you using?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 4:44:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I am running a Bushnell LRTSi 4.5-18x44, in Burris XTR 30mm low rings, on a Leupold Mk4 15MOA base.

I run an identical setup on my 700SA 6 Dasher.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:48:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I really need scope recommendations. What would be in the similar price range of my Zeiss?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:35:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I really need scope recommendations. What would be in the similar price range of my Zeiss?
View Quote
Bushnell HDMR is a good long range precision scope and would be similar in price.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:41:19 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote
What did the Zeiss cost, is it brand new so you don't want to try it or?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:22:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Surely there's some platform you can use the Ziess on? I know some people are anti BDC reticle but at 500 yards an under for a Quick use platform they are really quick. I know it's not Precision shooting material. But some weapon systems just plain need to be quick. A good truck gun fits that standard. Plus you can use it for a donor scope across many platforms as you decide what optic you really want on future builds. Ziess is usually good quality glass.  Does it have target nobs?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#9]
The PST Gen II is a little bit more money, but would be a good optic to fit the needs from what I've seen of them so far.  I'm a Kahles guy, but unfortunately they don't make anything at a lower price point.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:24:46 PM EDT
[#10]
The Zeiss is NIB. I actually won it. Its reticle is designed for a 167 or 175gr .308.

That's what makes me think about trading/selling and going with something different
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:37:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#11]
The Zeiss is NIB. I actually won it. Its reticle is designed for a 167 or 175gr .308.

That's what makes me think about trading/selling and going with something different
View Quote
Makes sense. New in box will get you more dough. I wouldn't mount it given that fact.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:42:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Make sense. New in box will get you more dough. I wouldn't mount it given that fact.
View Quote
this, sell it and think of it as a hell of a coupon for something that will better suit your needs.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
this, sell it and think of it as a hell of a coupon for something that will better suit your needs.
View Quote
That's what I'd like to do, but have no idea on what would be good for the begara
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:42:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Having tried both, I will recommend either a Sightron Siii or a Viper PST gen2. 

Both of mine are FFP since I wanted that feature.  
The Sightron is a bit less expensive with a few less features:
- Sightron has 14 MOA turrets vs 24 on the PST.
- PST has a lit reticle.

That said, the Sightron is made in Japan and the optics are better (opinion) than the Nightforce SHV series.

Sightron Siii 6-24 FFP was around $800, while the PST (if you can find them) will be about $1100.

Another option in that range is a Burris XTRii. I tried one and didn't like the wart of an illumination knob.

Athlon optics are new to the game, but they're dealer only and the only review I trust as independent was an ArfCom member who had tracking problems with the adjustments. Basically I'd avoid them until more reviews exist.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:06:45 PM EDT
[#15]
On my personal Bergara I am running a TPS precision base and Nightforce .885 ultra light rings.  I'm running a 50mm objective Nightforce SHV.  The .885s keep the scope low without crashing into the barrel.

I wish I would have gotten a titanium base to save a wee bit of weight as the SHV scopes are nice and light ( for NF ) and the NF rings are incredible.

My brake is a Lantac Dragon which is decent without killing everyone to my left and right.  It is NOT the best brake....that seems to be the Area 419 brake from what many of the Bergara shooters are using.  The other one is the Precision Armament M4-72. 

I use a simple Harris brand short bipod....my only planned mod is a Trigger Tech Remington 700 trigger.  That is it.  The stock trigger is decent....but Trigger Tech has spoiled me.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:21:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#16]
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
...I use a simple Harris brand short bipod....my only planned mod is a Trigger Tech Remington 700 trigger.  That is it.  The stock trigger is decent....but Trigger Tech has spoiled me.
View Quote
I finally ordered an HMR in 308...  It arrived earlier this week  .  I will be using a Harris 9-13 with the Swivel option and notched legs.  I was very impressed with the factory trigger.  I thought it was crisp and clean and mine has a 2.5 pound pull - sweet!  I haven't mounted the glass yet - I am looking for someone to Cerakote the barrelled action.  I was also very happy with the factory stock.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:34:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Reorx:
I finally ordered an HMR in 308...  It arrived earlier this week  .  I will be using a Harris 9-13 with the Swivel option and notched legs.  I was very impressed with the factory trigger.  I thought it was crisp and clean and mine has a 2.5 pound pull - sweet!  I haven't mounted the glass yet - I am looking for someone to Cerakote the barrelled action.  I was also very happy with the factory stock.
View Quote
In my opinion, Harris shouldn't even MAKE a non-swivel pod.  Those swivel bipods are the best!  Would love one made of titanium.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:49:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#18]
In my opinion, Harris shouldn't even MAKE a non-swivel pod.  Those swivel bipods are the best!  Would love one made of titanium.
View Quote
You're right about the bipods but for me titanium is expensive and un-necessary.  I don't carry my rifle very far on foot and I think of mass as recoil mitigation!  My Remington 700 rig weighs in at a bit over 12 pounds with everything that is on it.  Its recoil (308) is rather mild...  not 223 mild but mild for a "medium" rifle - it is nothing even remotely resembling uncomfortable nevermind unpleasant.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:48:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: desertmoon] [#19]
I'm just getting old and tired.  One of the things I loved about my Bergara is that, for what it does, it is darn light....so I try to keep it as light as I can.  I even regretted using the TPS steel base when i found out that someone made a titanium one.  I like aluminum for a lot of stuff but in some instances....titanium is just better.  However, like you said...it ain't cheap!!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:05:05 AM EDT
[#20]
This is great info. I appreciate it. Keep it coming.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:03:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I like the Vortex/Seekins rings. Have used a ton of them on different rifles and never had an issue. Good value for the money as well.

For around $1000 optic I would look for a used Bushnell ERS with G2 reticle, new Burris XTR II 5-25, used first gen Vortex Razor 5-20, new Vortex PST II 5-25 with EBR 2C reticle (availability on these is sketchy right now not sure if they have started shipping in any real numbers yet but they are a great value). For that midrange price point I really like used scopes from manufactures with a lifetime warranty like Bushnell or Vortex. Lots of guys unload last gen scopes chasing the new hotness. The gen 1 Razor and Bushy ERS are great scopes. Keep an eye on Snipershide sales section you sometimes can find really good deals.

If you are LE/Mil some companies have solid discount programs as well.

For scope bases I have only ever bought for Rem 700's and always used the EGW base. Good value for the money and never had any problems.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:08:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#22]
I'm just getting old and tired.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I'm just getting old and tired.
Me too!!!  Why do you think I don't carry my rifle very far on foot!  

One of the things I loved about my Bergara is that, for what it does, it is darn light...
Yes, I DID notice how light mine was and was a bit (pleasantly) surprised.  I can't wait to see what it weighs in at once I load it down with all the heavy stuff I am going to put on it!!!

I even regretted using the TPS steel base when i found out that someone made a titanium one.  I like aluminum for a lot of stuff but in some instances....titanium is just better.  However, like you said...it ain't cheap!!!
Personally, I don't like using dis-similar metals in the mounting hardware...  so, for me, steel base = steel rings and aluminum base = aluminum rings... so therefore a titanium base would dictate titanium rings (so, does the titanium base manufacturer also make rings?!?!?)  The idea is that dis-similar materials have different hardnesses and different thermal coefficients of expansion.  I know that somebody is going to chime in that it is OK to mix metals in mounts but my OCD just won't let me do it...  and since the rifle is steel, using a steel base and steel rings matches the rifle and in my mind, this makes for less problems in the long run...  I could be wrong but this is just how I think about it...
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I have the same rifle and purchased PRI's (Precision Reflex Inc.) 20 moa extended military base. Ken Farrell, Leupold, EGW, and at least a half-dozen other companies make great scope bases.

I suggest you buy the lowest rings that will work with your intended scope. There is no reason to mount it any higher than minimal clearance.

I prefer 30mm (or larger) tube scopes. Because the stock's length of pull can not be adjusted on the fly you need a variable powered scope. 3.5x10 power with a TMR reticle would be a good choice

Mount the scope for use at the highest magnification setting while shooting prone with a bipod or sand bagged. You can dial the magnification down to 3.5 +/- to gain eye relief for other shooting positions.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:52:58 PM EDT
[#24]
This is great info. I appreciate it. Keep it coming.
View Quote
The bigger your objective lens, the higher you have to put the scope above the action to keep the bell off of the barrel.  I have found that the closer you keep the scope to the bore axis, the easier your life will be BUT you need to counter a smaller objective with quality of glass.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#25]
While not an HMR I recently bought a Bergara B-14 Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor. At the first sight-in I shot a 3/4" 3-shot clover-leaf group at 200 yds.  I know that Bergara has a good rep for barrels but even in a hunting-level rifle that's pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:09:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittleSoup206] [#26]
I also just purchased a HMR in 6.5 and this will be my first bolt action rifle. I won't get it in a few weeks so I'm shopping around as well for accessories. I plan on buying a Harris swivel bi-pod (6-9in) but looking for a base and rings.

I intend to buy a SWFA scope with a 42mm objective. The base that I have decided to get is the Nightforce 20moa base (Rem 700 SA 1-piece A115). Does anyone know if low rings (0.885in) will work with a scope that has a 42mm objective? I'm thinking about getting Nightforce rings or another brand. Any recommendations?

Also, any thought to the Nightforce Direct Mount?
http://www.nightforceoptics.com/accessories/direct-mount
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:29:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#27]
Originally Posted By LittleSoup206:
I also just purchased a HMR in 6.5 and this will be my first bolt action rifle. I won't get it in a few weeks so I'm shopping around as well for accessories. I plan on buying a Harris swivel bi-pod (6-9in) but looking for a base and rings.

I intend to buy a SWFA scope with a 42mm objective. The base that I have decided to get is the Nightforce 20moa base (Rem 700 SA 1-piece A115). Does anyone know if low rings (0.885in) will work with a scope that has a 42mm objective? I'm thinking about getting Nightforce rings or another brand. Any recommendations?

Also, any thought to the Nightforce Direct Mount?
http://www.nightforceoptics.com/accessories/direct-mount
View Quote
1) If you plan to shoot prone, you might want to consider the 9-13 Harris swivel bipod.
2) Take the "particulars" of your proposed setup and plug the numbers into the "Scope Ring Height and Clearance Calculator" (LINK) and see what is has to say about your proposed "low" rings.
3) If you're a hunter and using a scope that you can't dial in elevation corrections on the fly, mounting the scope as low as possible has benefits.  When your application is designed so that you will be dialing in firing solutions, how high your scope is above your bore is not nearly as important as shooter comfort.  The HMR has an adjustable cheek riser which will be able to get your cheek at the right height with most garden variety rings...  so pick rings with a height that feels "right" or "comfortable" or "natural"...  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:37:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Reorx:

1) If you plan to shoot prone, you might want to consider the 9-13 Harris swivel bipod.
2) Take the "particulars" of your proposed setup and plug the numbers into the "Scope Ring Height and Clearance Calculator" (LINK) and see what is has to say about your proposed "low" rings.
3) If you're a hunter and using a scope that you can't dial in elevation corrections on the fly, mounting the scope as low as possible has benefits.  When your application is designed so that you will be dialing in firing solutions, how high your scope is above your bore is not nearly as important as shooter comfort.  The HMR has an adjustable cheek riser which will be able to get your cheek at the right height with most garden variety rings...  so pick rings with a height that feels "right" or "comfortable" or "natural"...  
View Quote
Thanks for the response Reorx! Just curious on why you recommend the 9-13 over the 6-9? I do plan on first starting off with prone shooting, then maybe off of a bench, then I do plan on taking Sniper tactical courses early next year. No plans on doing competition.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:01:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm getting a Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5cm. I've never had a "long range" gun before. What rings and base to you recommend?

What about a bipod?

View Quote

Zeiss' Rapid Z 1000 is specifically designed for 308 shooting 168/175 gr bullets.  That said you can use it for ANY caliber.  Zeiss has a calculator available where you can plug in your load information and see what the reticle subtensions are.  It will give you an optimal magnification, but you may also adjust and see what it would subtend at various magnification levels.  Also keep in mind as you play with that calculator the 5-25x with RZ1000 is designed to have a 400 yard zero.  That reticle, although designed for 308 works very well for 6.5 Grendel.  

If yo don't want to use the RZ 1000 scope on the HMR, but want to stay with Zeiss check out their new V6 scopes.  The 3-18s are pretty sweet.

My HMR really like 140gr ELD match ammo and I've had good luck with handloads using 123gr SSTs.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:34:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#30]
Originally Posted By LittleSoup206:
Thanks for the response Reorx! Just curious on why you recommend the 9-13 over the 6-9? I do plan on first starting off with prone shooting, then maybe off of a bench, then I do plan on taking Sniper tactical courses early next year. No plans on doing competition.
View Quote
6-9 is good for "nice", flat conditions like shooting from a bench.  If you're gonna be down on the ground, you can't always control the lay of the land and may find yourself wanting the ability to add a little more height by extending the legs a bit.  OR - "It's better to have height (ability) and not need it than need it and not have it..."  
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#31]
So, I sold the Zeiss HD5 today. I think I'm going to get a Burris XTR to top the Bergara
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Th Vortex pst 2 scopes are nice for the money, I have a 5-25 ffp and I really like it. It tracks spot on, clear glass, turrets have solid audible clicks, and I like the open center ebr-2c reticle. There was a post on SH about the xtr2 and pst 2 a few months back, most favored the Vortex that compared them both.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:36:07 AM EDT
[#33]
I'll try to find that thread on SH.

Previously, Vortex would've been my first choice but it seems I'm hearing of more problems with them lately
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top