Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2017 12:26:13 AM EDT
Looking at getting my first 6.5CM rifle.  I currently use a CZ 527 Varmint for sub-300 yard shooting and a Savage 111 LRH in 300WM for long range shooting, but want I want to finally get a long range precision rifle.  The place I shoot at most of the time is 300 yards across, but I do have access to a place with 1000+ yards provided I want to take a nice little drive.

The rifles I am considering are the Savage 12 LRP, Savage 10 BA Stealth, Ruger Precision Rifle, Tikka T3x CTR, and Sako A7 Long Range.  I'll take recommendations as well but I'd prefer the price be under $1,100 for the rifle.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:01:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Poop3rscoop3r] [#1]
I wasn't aware Sako made the A7 Long Range in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm very impressed by the A7. A friend of mine has the Roughtech Pro in 300WM and it shoots really well. It's a great rifle that splits the difference between the T3x and 85. 

In your price range I would go with the A7 Long Range or T3x, whichever you prefer. 
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:27:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Poop3rscoop3r:
I wasn't aware Sako made the A7 Long Range in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm very impressed by the A7. A friend of mine has the Roughtech Pro in 300WM and it shoots really well. It's a great rifle that splits the difference between the T3x and 85. 

In your price range I would go with the A7 Long Range or T3x, whichever you prefer. 
View Quote
I actually just put the A7 on layaway.  Only thing I wash the A7 had was Sako's SST but it isn't a huge deal breaker.  I couldn't find an A7 LR with the SST.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Bergara LRP Elite

or try to find a Ruger RPR.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Very easy answer......Tikka T3x CTR You be very happy with your decision!
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Ruger Precision without a doubt.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:45:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Tolly:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:01:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Tolly:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:34:03 AM EDT
[#8]
+1 for a Tikka CTR
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:50:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BoxofRox] [#9]

Shit, just saw the price limit. Pic stays up though because it's so sexy.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:13:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By BoxofRox:
http://www.eurooptic.com/images-cache/30/B6/9DDC/30B69DDC27F153819AE22EBA1D98900F55D6697A.jpg

Shit, just saw the price limit. Pic stays up though because it's so sexy.
View Quote
Get a tikka or the fix, if not both.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#11]
The CTR is an excellent choice and good value for the money, but I suspect you could say the exact same thing of the Ruger Precision.

The CTR factory trigger is pretty darn good (after you adjust it) and the mags are really high quality. Getting the scope rail off is a b****, but you can just get a mount with MOA built in instead.

Have you ever used the trigger with the bar sticking through t like the Accutrigger? I don't really love that, myself.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#12]
For the money and the resulting accuracy, it's hard to beat a chassis based rifle like Ruger and Savage are providing.  I noticed the Savage BA10 Stealth currently has a $150 rebate.  Bud's Guns and Joe Bob's had the 6.5 priced at right around $900.  You take $150 off that, and you have a heck of deal on a good rifle.  I'm building my own 6.5CM from a short action Savage or I'd be quite tempted by that BA10 Stealth.

The good news...there are some good choices with good performance for good money right now.  I just saw a Begara B14 for $940 at my local gun shop while picking up some powder.  Almost too many good choices...LOL!
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:22:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zeebz] [#13]
Cancelled my layaway order for the Sako A7 and ordered a 10 BA Stealth.  Got one for $850 and with the $150 rebate I'll have it for $725 after my FFL transfer.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:33:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Zeebz:
Cancelled my layaway order for the Sako A7 and ordered a 10 BA Stealth.  Got one for $850 and with the $150 rebate I'll have it for $725 after my FFL transfer.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:31:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Perhaps.  I couldn't pass up the 10BA Stealth though for what is essentially $700 when all said and done.  That said, I need to buy a stock for it now because the one it comes with is supposedly crap-ola.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:34:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:26:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Perhaps.  I couldn't pass up the 10BA Stealth though for what is essentially $700 when all said and done.  That said, I need to buy a stock for it now because the one it comes with is supposedly crap-ola.
View Quote
Give the stock as delivered a try.  You'll always hear more negative than positive on the internet.  If you don't like the FAB buttstock, the beauty is that you can use anything that fits a standard AR extension/buffer tube.  My home assembled precision rifles' MDT chassis allows the use of an AR carbine extension or fixed rifle extension.  I use the carbine extension with a Luth AR collapsible precision stock.  It's a popular choice that won't break the bank and functions very well.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:13:49 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote
Now your getting right back into the price range you were bragging about saving money on?

Some times I think people will save $100.00 dollars just to spend a $1,000.00. Oh well carry on and have a ball. Just take plenty of pictures along the way so we can have fun.

Been there done that, but at times I still can't help but play with a pig.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Just curious on your comment.  Was it based on the OP not getting the previously mentioned/ordered rifle?...or that the BA10-S is a POS?  I've only seen and handled a BA10-S in a local gun shop.  I'm building a somewhat similar setup from a Savage short-action receiver, but of course it won't have the same barrel or chassis.  Savages usually shoot quite well, and the BA10-S has a blueprinted action.  Is there something about the OP's choice of a technical nature that you didn't approve of?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:07:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sparkyD] [#20]
Originally Posted By ARTNC10:
Just curious on your comment.  Was it based on the OP not getting the previously mentioned/ordered rifle?...or that the BA10-S is a POS?  I've only seen and handled a BA10-S in a local gun shop.  I'm building a somewhat similar setup from a Savage short-action receiver, but of course it won't have the same barrel or chassis.  Savages usually shoot quite well, and the BA10-S has a blueprinted action.  Is there something about the OP's choice of a technical nature that you didn't approve of?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Deleted
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:06:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: w33b8t1] [#21]
I'm getting a 6CM next.  Either a Howa a or an RPR, but seeing that Howa doesn't make a 6mm yet......
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote
Tikka and Sako make a way better rifle then savage. Hell just compare the actions of them head to head. Savage feels cheap, especially the action. Unless cost is a issue I don't know why anyone would go that route.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Another vote for the Tikka you won't be disappointed
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:36:41 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:07:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By w33b8t1:
I'm getting a 6CM next.  Either a Howa a or an RPR, but seeing that Howa doesn't make a 6mm yet......
View Quote
I've been impressed with my brothers Howa in 6.5cm.

The stock forearm is flimsy, but that rifle will shoot.  For the money I think it's tough to beat.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:46:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: w33b8t1] [#26]
Originally Posted By rob78:

I've been impressed with my brothers Howa in 6.5cm.

The stock forearm is flimsy, but that rifle will shoot.  For the money I think it's tough to beat.
View Quote
The Hogue forarm does flex for sure.  I don't put a lot of value in any non chassis factory stock.  Howa does have a chassis now though.....

https://www.legacysports.com/catalog/howa/howa-hcr-chassis-rifle/

Downside is I believe the bbl is traditionally installed.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By w33b8t1:

The Hogue forarm does flex for sure.  I don't put a lot of value in any non chassis factory stock.  Howa does have a chassis now though.....

https://www.legacysports.com/catalog/howa/howa-hcr-chassis-rifle/

Downside is I believe the bbl is traditionally installed.
View Quote
Just last night I had the TV on one of those hunting/gun channels while doing some reloading.  I looked up and saw that they were covering that Howa chassis rifle...nice looking gun.

On the OP's choice of the Savage BA10-S and some of the disparaging comments, I think some perspective is in order.  While I certainly wouldn't knock a Tikka or Sako when it comes to quality and precision, I think many of us as gun people tend to get a little too opinionated and stars-in-the-eyes on how a lot of these weapons will perform.  One can look to the performance of some of the more inexpensive over-the-counter and home built AR's to realize that manufacturing capability and material availability has improved greatly and given us much better firearms than the money would suggest.  One can also look at and shoot a Savage Axis or Ruger American to realize that many guns are performing way outside their price envelope when compared to times past.

While I'm not promoting just going the way of "cheap guns" as a priority, I think some logic and reason need to be applied sometimes in how we consider other brands, performance, and their prices.  And let's be honest.  For most mere mortals, money is definitely an issue, and everyone can't go out and buy the top tier Barret sniper rifle or other exotic version.  The ringing steel at 1000 yards doesn't know the difference between a $1300 Sako 6.5C or a $600 Savage 10 6.5C...or even a $400 Ruger American Predator 6.5C.  Let's face it...there's a good deal of undeserved snobbery in our ranks as gun people.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:54:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#28]
I'm building a Aero 6.5CM semi, but I wish I had a bolt action too.

I will definitely buy the RPR when I do.

Here is a range report from the shooting times magazines a few months back. The groups were insane for a factory rifle.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:08:51 AM EDT
[#29]

Just last night I had the TV on one of those hunting/gun channels while doing some reloading.  I looked up and saw that they were covering that Howa chassis rifle...nice looking gun.

On the OP's choice of the Savage BA10-S and some of the disparaging comments, I think some perspective is in order.  While I certainly wouldn't knock a Tikka or Sako when it comes to quality and precision, I think many of us as gun people tend to get a little too opinionated and stars-in-the-eyes on how a lot of these weapons will perform.  One can look to the performance of some of the more inexpensive over-the-counter and home built AR's to realize that manufacturing capability and material availability has improved greatly and given us much better firearms than the money would suggest.  One can also look at and shoot a Savage Axis or Ruger American to realize that many guns are performing way outside their price envelope when compared to times past.

While I'm not promoting just going the way of "cheap guns" as a priority, I think some logic and reason need to be applied sometimes in how we consider other brands, performance, and their prices.  And let's be honest.  For most mere mortals, money is definitely an issue, and everyone can't go out and buy the top tier Barret sniper rifle or other exotic version.  The ringing steel at 1000 yards doesn't know the difference between a $1300 Sako 6.5C or a $600 Savage 10 6.5C...or even a $400 Ruger American Predator 6.5C.  Let's face it...there's a good deal of undeserved snobbery in our ranks as gun people.
View Quote
When you have people saying a savage with a super sniper scope is as good as a ga precision with a S&B
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:39:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By RePp:

When you have people saying a savage with a super sniper scope is as good as a ga precision with a S&B
View Quote
It's more fun and worthwhile to be shooting instead of saving.  So in a lot of cases, yes a savage with an SS scope is as good considering the end game.  If you're at the level that you require a $5k gun/scope then sure, you need to spend some money.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote
What are you saying?...they're not as good???

Of course, I'm kidding.  No...some reality has to come into play.  If my life depended on it in an LE or military role, I'd probably be willing to spend my own money on a higher level rifle than what I'm assembling.  Still, you gotta admit...the accuracy and even decent reliability that some of these lower priced rifles are delivering almost defies physics...at least from what we perceived in "the old days".  And I would never poo-poo another shooter's desire to get whatever rifle at whatever price level if that's what pushed his buttons.  I mean, some of this is a bit like vehicles and motorcycles.  You can buy a reasonably priced (comparatively) bike or car now days that will almost compete with some of the high priced exotics.  But you have to admit that there may be a level of enjoyment in a Ferrari not possible in a Corvette...but I'll never know.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Of course, I'm kidding.  No...some reality has to come into play.  If my life depended on it in an LE or military role, I'd probably be willing to spend my own money on a higher level rifle than what I'm assembling.  Still, you gotta admit...the accuracy and even decent reliability that some of these lower priced rifles are delivering almost defies physics...at least from what we perceived in "the old days".  And I would never poo-poo another shooter's desire to get whatever rifle at whatever price level if that's what pushed his buttons.  I mean, some of this is a bit like vehicles and motorcycles.  You can buy a reasonably priced (comparatively) bike or car now days that will almost compete with some of the high priced exotics.  But you have to admit that there may be a level of enjoyment in a Ferrari not possible in a Corvette...but I'll never know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yeah but this is Arfcom. People could start with a Uber rifle and mod it back wards to a Savage while others are trying to mod the Savage into the Uber rifle.
It's not the ride it's the fun along the way.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:09:25 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote
You won't be disappointed with the accuracy.  I have one and did change the stock to an XLR with a side folder, put a 20 MOA scope rail and an extended bolt handle.  She will ring steel at 1K yards with factory ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top