Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2017 12:39:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: compuvette]
Ever since getting bit hard by the suppressor bug I've wanted to build up an M40-ish Rem 700 bolt gun to use one of my cans on.  Quite a bit pre-41f I asked Capitol Armory what suppressor I should purchase for precision 308 work and Torrey suggested the Thunderbeast CB9.  This was a couple months before the Ultra cans came out for reference.  So, I jumped on it and ran it on my AR10 for a while.  Well, after my surgery (6-way bypass) I have had some problems with recoil so I had to completely rebuild the AR10.  One of the changes to bring recoil down was to swap from the CB9 to a Surefire SOCOM-762.  That really helped with blowback and dropped the bolt speed as well.

So then I had an issue.  A can without a home.  Big problem..........  I decided to build up a Rem 700 for a host as I've always wanted a decent one and after shooting a buddies in a chassis with an Omega on it I decided I could handle the recoil.  I ended up getting a heck of a deal on a new AAC-SD so that became the starting point.  The only factory bits left are the bolt, barrel, and action........

Here's the rundown:

Bell and Carlson M40 stock in OD green with black webbing
Larue 20 MOA scope base
Timney 510 trigger
Thunderbeast compact brake
SWFA Super Sniper 10x42 scope (had it left over from an older project)
Seekins low rings
Harris bipod
And a Thunderbeast CB9 suppressor

Here she is with her little brother (CZ455 Tacticool):

Went to the local range on Saturday to get it zeroed and see how it shot.  It took quite a bit to get it on paper but I expected that.  Unfortunately I didn't have much time after I got it zeroed to check groups but my last 4 with the can on were under 2" with PRVI 150gr SP's.  I'm assuming with match ammo and me being more on my game the groups will shrink nicely.  Also, the POI shift after throwing the can back on was basically nil.  Very happy with that.  Recoil with or without suppressor was not bad at all.  I didn't bruise up and didn't feel any pain in my chest.  As I'm on blood thinners I bruise really easily.....  The B&C stock comes with a Pachmyer decelerator pad already installed so I'm sure that helps.  Also, with the 20" heavy barrel the rifle is a bit of a pig.  I left the Timney set to the factory settings and it broke cleanly at 3.5lbs on my scale.  I might turn it down just a touch as I get used to it.

Overall I'm very happy with the setup and will be shooting it some more tonight!

ETA- I've already got a Triad Tactial stock pouch coming for it and I've got to pick up a mirage cover for the can as well.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:51:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice rifle, congrats!
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SLAPPYROOTZ:
Nice rifle, congrats!
View Quote
X2 and you can always shoot reduced recoil loads for short range work.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:41:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

X2 and you can always shoot reduced recoil loads for short range work.
View Quote
Thanks guys.  I also have a Dillon 550 in the garage that I need to get running then I'll just roll my own......
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:54:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: compuvette] [#4]
Here she is again this evening:

So far still just shooting PRVI 150gr SP's.  This thing is making me very happy.  Last three rounds after doing a little more scope tweaking were cloverleafed at 100 yards.  All rounds touching.  Round before that opened it up to just under 1 inch.  I really need to try it with match rounds and see what she really does.

My buddy I was shooting with put a water bottle on the target holder out at 100 yards.  I just centered the crosshairs on the bottle and pulled the trigger.  One shot, one kill.  I really need to stretch its legs.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:15:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: compuvette] [#5]
Got the Triad Tactical stock pack last week.  Man, that thing is nice!  I should have my Armageddon gear mirage cover for the can this week.  Planning on doing some shooting this weekend.  I've got a pretty good stock of PRVI 168 and 175gr match ammo so we'll see what she does.  I've been happy with the PRVI 175's in the past.  I've shot a 1.21" group with them using one of my Springfield loaded M1A's before so we'll see what they do in the 700.

ETA - also thinking really hard about the Wyatt bdm setup........
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#6]
It is a beautiful gun.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:34:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks great brother!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top