Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2017 10:03:15 PM EDT
I joined a new shooting range last month that has a 1000 yard range and several other 750,500,300... I want to get into long range shooting and I have fired at Savage 112 in 300 win mag. I really do not want a 6.5 Creedmore. Several year ago I had a Browning bolt action in 338 Win Mag and loved it. A friend has a SAS in 338 Lapua and he really enjoys that. I can get the Savage 112 long range target for $969.00
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:35:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By HueyPilot69:
I joined a new shooting range last month that has a 1000 yard range and several other 750,500,300... I want to get into long range shooting and I have fired at Savage 112 in 300 win mag. I really do not want a 6.5 Creedmore. Several year ago I had a Browning bolt action in 338 Win Mag and loved it. A friend has a SAS in 338 Lapua and he really enjoys that. I can get the Savage 112 long range target for $969.00
View Quote

The target is a single shot action right? I'd probably go for one of the mag fed ones. Anyways 338 barrels are the only savage target barrels that I've read complaining about. I've had a number of savages and most shot as well as my rifles with aftermarket barrels out of the box.

I am not sure you motivation for the $2-$5 a shot rifle vs a .50-$1.5 a shot rifle. Anyways. The holes aren't much bigger. You could easily justify a bmg if you just want a boomer ;)
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:49:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Why don't you want a 6.5?

You are free to get a 338 if you want, but they are never as much fun as people think they will be, especially as their primary rig.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:52:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you like burning $5 bills with each shot?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:05:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
Why don't you want a 6.5?

You are free to get a 338 if you want, but they are never as much fun as people think they will be, especially as their primary rig.
View Quote
My buddy has a mag fed version of the 112 and it eats scopes and scope rings but he's not put nothing but nikon on it. It shoots surprisingly well until the scope moves. Plus it'll punch holes in my 1/4" disk blades at 500 yards that a 7mag only slightly dent. Remember that it's going to be hard on steel target's as well as shooting bystanders. The muzzle blast is awful especially near any walls.

Now for the good points. When you shoot a big hog you get a bullet blood trail. But it doesn't knock that big of a hole. On swinging targets it makes them dance. If you do miss you get rewarded with a nice bullet strike that your spotter can easily see. Plus everyone else.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a magazine version if you go 338. I have the Savage 338LM FCP and love it. Was at a 1000 range a few weeks ago banging steel shooting 285 gr hornady ELD-M bullets. 3 shots to get on steel, then every shot after on steel. Suggest you reload if you do go 338. I did try 6.5 creedmore. Sold it for the 338LM. Don't regret it one bit!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top