Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2017 5:51:24 PM EDT
So I’ve seen a few guys say they picked up a Howa Chassis Rifle, but I haven’t seen anyone really review it.  So here goes.

First, this is not my first Howa.  It’s my fifth.  I love these actions and have had excellent accuracy and reliability with the first four.  I’ve been thinking about a chassis rifle ever since the Ruger Precision hit the market two years ago.  I knew I didn’t want the Ruger; not a hater, I just don’t like the zip-tie feel of the bolt in the action and also really don’t like the mag/bolt function (can’t drop mag without bolt all the way open/can’t close bolt on empty mag).

I have a nice 6.5 Creedmoor Bergara, but have been thinking of playing with something in the 243/6mm variety.  Truthfully, if there were more options for 6mm Creedmoor in factory rifles/better brass availability, I probably would have gone that route.  Some are getting outstanding results handloading 243 Win with 95gr bullets, so when I found a deal on the HCR in 243 Win, I decided to give it a go.  My thought was, if I didn’t like it as a long range plinker (its intended purpose), I could sell the chassis, put it in a stock (I have one laying around) and add it to my prairie dog arsenal.  Or, if there were 6mm Creedmoors available in a Howa barreled action down the road, I might swap it out.

To start with, unboxing the rifle, I was surprised to find the had included the original bottom metal (hinged floor plate) and internal box mag.  Not necessary, but a plus for me if I decided to put it in a stock down the road.  I was a little surprised by the finished.  The chassis is a matte black, but the barreled action is Howa’s standard gloss black.  Honestly, it doesn’t quite look right and is a bit disappointing.  Perhaps keeping the standard finish also kept the price down.

I also noticed off the bat there was an obvious rattle.  I realized it was the Luthar stock wiggling on the buffer tube (stock tube since there’s no buffer?).  Once I started messing with the stock I discovered there is a set screw to eliminate this wobble.  What I like about the Luthar stock is there are actually three adjustments on this version.  There is an adjustment for moving the entire assembly forward and rear on the tube, nice for adjusting how for forward or rearward the cheek piece is; there is an adjustment for the height of the cheek piece; and there is an adjustment to elongate the stock assembly.  What I don’t like about the Luthar, and I have this issue on my fixed Luthar on another rifle, is that I have a difficult time incrementally adjusting the cheek height and the assembly length.  These adjustments tend to stick, and then when they move they do so further than I intend.  Not the end of the world, but it happens.

When I read about the rifle prior to purchasing, it said that it came with an AICS style magazine.  Some of the other chassis systems that work for Howas have a detachable magazine that looks like the AICS, but is a different pattern.  Curious, I loaded a few rounds into a MagPul AICS mag.  It is a tight fit in the chassis, but it feeds reliably, actually better than the provided mag.  Likewise, the Accurate Mag that was provided works in my Bergara that also uses the AICS pattern.  The Accurate Mag is very heavy duty.  I did have a bit of trouble with rounds kind of binding up a bit.  They would all feed, but it took much more effort than my MagPul mags take.

The trigger is great.  It is two stage; easy take up, wall, break, no overtravel.  Might be my favorite factory trigger.  My Lyman trigger scale had it consistently breaking between 3lbs 11oz and 3lbs 13oz.  If you can’t shoot one of these rifles accurately don’t blame the trigger!

As far as accuracy is concerned, I had some trouble.  I was shooting on a portable bench (Big Game swivel) with a Caldwell Rock BR.  The chassis forearm did not stabilize very well in this rest and the bench is not rock solid.  It was hard to stay on target with the set up.  I think with a different rest or bipod, shooting from a concrete bench rest or from the ground I could have done better, but this set up was not ideal.

That said, the rifle showed some potential.  I had two groups of loads by powder weight and three types of bullets in each group.  Most five shot groups were right at one inch, but as I continued to shoot, they opened up with the heavier powder charge.  The rifle needs cleaned (I did so once after 10 rounds) and loads further developed, but below is the best group of the day.  Not bad for a brand new barrel.

The chassis forearm is open on the top.  I thought this looked goofy at first, but it does allow you to mount your scope pretty low.  Mine is actually mounted lower than I would like; I have a Talley base and rings on order, these were rings and bases I had spare.

If Howa/Legacy Sports is reading this, here is what I would change:
Match the finish of the barreled action to the chassis, or make them similar
Thread the barrel- come one, we all want to put a break or silencer on these
Smooth/open the mag well up just a little
It’s a chassis rifle for Tommy Tactical- put an oversized bolt handle on it for goodness sake
Add one more sling stud on the forend and a flush cup on the chassis- the stock has a flush cup so to put a sling on it you would need one standard sling swivel and on QD- weird

I think the rifle has great potential.  The chassis looks super cool, no doubt and I think more easily makes for an accurate system.

Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks pretty good. I agree on the finish. I'd definitely ceracoat it. I'd like to play with one in 6.5 Grendel but I got some other stuff to tend to first. Never enough money in the gun gund.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:45:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Great initial review.  I have the Howa HCS as well in 6.5 CM.

Most of your suggestions are incorporated in mine, as it's FDE Cerakote barreled action with 5/8x24 threaded muzzle with a really nice thread protector.

I was intending to review it much earlier, but had a major injury in May (snapped my Achilles - brutal), so I'm like a drunk Herman Munster at the moment in a boot, can't drive, etc.

I ordered an EGW 20 MOA base for mine, had it blasted so I can Cerakote it FDE to match the action.

Mine has the hydro-dip Multicam chassis.

Great-looking rifle really.

The actions on these are very nice.  I also have the Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel 22" sporter profile barrel.  The action is silky smooth on it, to the point my little boy (23 months old) can run it fine.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:20:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

Most of your suggestions are incorporated in mine, as it's FDE Cerakote barreled action with 5/8x24 threaded muzzle with a really nice thread protector.

I was intending to review it much earlier, but had a major injury in May (snapped my Achilles - brutal), so I'm like a drunk Herman Munster at the moment in a boot, can't drive, etc.

I ordered an EGW 20 MOA base for mine, had it blasted so I can Cerakote it FDE to match the action.

The actions on these are very nice.  I also have the Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel 22" sporter profile barrel.  The action is silky smooth on it, to the point my little boy (23 months old) can run it fine.
View Quote
Ouch!  I know that's a painful injury, hope you mend (heal doesn't seem to fit here...) well.

Your version of the rifle is definitely sharper, but I haven't seen any in .243, and I got a good deal on the black/black version.

I'm taking more handloads out for more testing soon.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:18:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

View Quote
Sounds like you're trying to bait someone into going out there and driving your drunk butt around for a couple of days?  
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:21:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm looking at building up my Weatherby Vanguard/Howa action barreled for 7mm-08 (imagine that  ) around that chassis.  
Just a matter of time and funds.
Thanks for the review.

7mm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top