Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2017 1:12:50 PM EDT
Hi All,

Just purchased RPR in .308, it's my first bolt action rifle. Already own semi 308 that's why I chose .308 vs 6.5.

Anyway, I want to see what accuracy results you are getting with what factory ammo?  There are lots of options so my idea is to have the 308 owners give your feedback so we can have an informal data base for starters.

When the time comes, I will be rolling my own but for now need to go with the factory ammo.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a RPR owner, but go find a box of FGMM 168 and FGMM 175. Start there. The 168 will most likely do better inside 300-400 yards. The 175s tend to do better at distance IME.

Try Prime and Copper Creek if the FGMM doesn't give you the results you are looking for.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Never shot the 308, but the guy next to me last weekend with a 308 RPR was shooting 175 grain FGMM and cutting a 1/2" hole at 100 yard.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies!

I know there are others..... come on, don't be shy! Post your results please.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:58:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Any "match grade" ammo with a 168/175 bullet is worth a try.

Federal is where I'd start.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:03:12 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Its also the cheapest option going, and you can occasionally find FGMM 168s for $16/box (I ordered some from Palmetto State back in May for $15.99/box).
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:20:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Diamondback] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mathecb:
Any "match grade" ammo with a 168/175 bullet is worth a try.

View Quote
I just bought 10 boxes of the Federal match 168gr from Palmetto for $16.00 per box. The should be here next Wednesday.

I've only got 80 rounds of blaster ammo, Ultramax remanufactured 168gr, shot thru it and it put 30 rounds into a 1" hole with the factory trigger. I wasn't really shooting for accuracy, just trying to get some rounds down the barrel before I started using the more expensive match ammo.  I just installed a Timney trigger in my RPR and it's amazing. 8 oz first stage and 1lb second stage!! Hoping to get to the range tomorrow and try out some match ammo.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:50:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Diamondback:

I just bought 10 boxes of the Federal match 168gr from Palmetto for $16.00 per box. The should be here next Wednesday.

I've only got 80 rounds of blaster ammo, Ultramax remanufactured 168gr, shot thru it and it put 30 rounds into a 1" hole with the factory trigger. I wasn't really shooting for accuracy, just trying to get some rounds down the barrel before I started using the more expensive match ammo.  I just installed a Timney trigger in my RPR and it's amazing. 8 oz first stage and 1lb second stage!! Hoping to get to the range tomorrow and try out some match ammo.
View Quote
Please do post your results after you range visit.

I'm going on Sunday to break in the barrel and try few different "match"ammo I have on hand. That's if my Sig Tango4 6-24 comes in this Friday!
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, went to the range today to shoot my RPR in 308 for the first time. First time shooting a bolt rifle too. Atlas bipod, Sig Tango 4 6-24 x 50  Mrad Dev-l retical, bean bag. To break in the barrel I used this procedure: 5 shots ran brush with bore cleaner, for the first 3 times. Used Federal 168 GM to sight in the rifle. My zero is at 200yrd.
Results as follow:
1. Federal 168gr GM 1MOA @ 100yrd consistent
2. Hornady 168gr Boat Tail .5MOA @ 200yrd best group
3. Hornady 168gr A-Max 1MOA @ 200yrd

Cant figure out how to insert photos. PM if you want to see photos.....

Hope this helps others
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 2:01:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Diamondback] [#9]
Sorry it took so long to get my results posted. Work has been crazy lately 10-14 hour days.  Anyway I used 4 different brands of ammo and the results are listed below. I just could not get it together the day I went shooting. These groups are not the best I can do but they were all i could do this day! All shots were at 100 yards. I going of vacation Labor day week to eastern Washington, Spokane, for my son in laws birthday. So we'll get some range time in and I'll see if I can do a better job. I think all these brands would do 3/4 to 1/2 moa if I did my job on the trigger better. Also a new Timney trigger 8oz - 1lb, love it.

PMC XTAC Match 168gr - 1 moa

Blackhills Match 175gr - 3/4 moa

FGMM 168gr - 3/4 moa

Hornady Black Amax 168gr - 1/2 to 3/4 moa
If i did my part I could get 4-5 shot groups at 1/2 moa otherwise
it opened up to 3/4 moa.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top