Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2017 9:09:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: InternationalM]
I am looking at replacing my older Leupold standard ring set to a EGW 0 MOA pictany rail and a set of medium Warne QD ring (on sale). They will be going on a 223 R700 XCR LRT with a Leupold vx3i Scope 3.5x10.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#1]
or should I go with a 1 piece mount?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:01:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Why QD? Do you plan on taking the scope off occasionally to shoot with iron sights? If not, don't get QD. Just don't believe they belong on a bolt gun.

And if you are referring to the vertical Warne rings, I had a pair of those that were severely out of spec and dented a scope tube.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
Why QD? Do you plan on taking the scope off occasionally to shoot with iron sights? If not, don't get QD. Just don't believe they belong on a bolt gun.

And if you are referring to the vertical Warne rings, I had a pair of those that were severely out of spec and dented a scope tube.
View Quote
I've heard about some being out of spec..... What would you suggest?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't see any reason not to use a 20moa canted rail.  

I use Nightforce rings and bases and have never had any problems.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By samuse:
I don't see any reason not to use a 20moa canted rail.  

I use Nightforce rings and bases and have never had any problems.
View Quote
Would you use the 1 piece set up? I am thinking about it lol
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:57:48 AM EDT
[#6]
DNZ makes a 20 moa base ring set, anyone have any experience with it? is it tough?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:53:45 PM EDT
[#7]
For precision bolt rifles, the Spuhr mount is the only 1-piece I would consider but they are incredibly expensive. You should want your scope to be as low as possible and I don't see that happening with 1-piece mounts. Larue makes excellent QD mounts but they are designed to offer proper alignment with AR rifles.

If you are on a budget, look for Leupold MK4 rings or TPS (tsr)
If you wish to step up to superior quality, checkout Badger, Seekins, Nightforce, Talley Tactical.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 4:39:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#8]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
For precision bolt rifles, the Spuhr mount is the only 1-piece I would consider but they are incredibly expensive. You should want your scope to be as low as possible and I don't see that happening with 1-piece mounts. Larue makes excellent QD mounts but they are designed to offer proper alignment with AR rifles.

If you are on a budget, look for Leupold MK4 rings or TPS (tsr)
If you wish to step up to superior quality, checkout Badger, Seekins, Nightforce, Talley Tactical.
View Quote
There are lots of excellent unimounts out there besides Spuhr.  The only things that Spuhr offers over the others is that they have the ability to mount accessories to the rings and they have a ton of options (cant and height) for each tube size as well as TRG and AI dovetail specific options.

If you don't need accessories then Badger, Nightforce, Really Right Stuff, American Rifle Company, etc. all make excellent products.  The Badger and Nightforce offerings are great and reasonably priced as well.

Here is a Badger Unimount on my AI AE Covert

Here is a Nightforce Unimount on my Tikka T3 CTR
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:32:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By InternationalM:

View Quote
I've never used the one piece thing that is rings and all, but have heard good things about 'em.  It would be good if you never want to remove the scope.  It's held on by the same same four little screws as the rail.

I use a rail and rings as I take shit apart more than I should.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I've never used the one piece thing that is rings and all, but have heard good things about 'em.  It would be good if you never want to remove the scope.  It's held on by the same same four little screws as the rail.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By InternationalM:

The biggest reason to use a unimount is if your base is a 0moa and you need 20moa or more.

The CTR is that way and removing the base is a PITA from all I read so getting a 20moa NF Unimount was a simple solution.  The AE MKIII was the same way but my AT has a 20moa rail so rings it is since they are lighter.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't think he's talking about a uni-mount.  I think he was talking about the mount that bolts directly to the receiver.  It's like a uni-mount, but instead of bolting to a rail, it bolts to a Remington 700 receiver.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:43:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, that makes more sense.  I forgot that there are some one piece mounts out there that screw to the receiver.  I haven't ever used one buy a friend has the DNZ setup on his 10/22 and it seems fine.

I would probably just get a 20MOA base and rings though in the OP's case.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:52:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Since everyone is talking rings and bases is there any issue putting aluminum base and rings on a 300 win mag or should I stay with steel.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Precision308:
Since everyone is talking rings and bases is there any issue putting aluminum base and rings on a 300 win mag or should I stay with steel.
View Quote
Not at all. Seekins is aluminum and very high quality. As long as you go with a trusted brand, it shouldn't matter if its aluminum or steel. Badger, Nightforce, Seekins.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:37:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Ok thanks.  I was considering going with a set from XLR industries.  They make great chassis systems and now started making rings and bases.  Very affordable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top