Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2017 7:01:23 PM EDT
I was planning on picking up a 700 ADL in .308 to get back into deer hunting and maybe some beginner precision shooting.  Before I headed out to get the 700 one of the local gun stores posted on FB a Savage 11 Long Range Hunter in .308 for $450. Needless to say I got that rifle since it was half off the new price and only marks on it was where the scope mounts were. I'm looking for advice on some bullet weights for it and a hunting/tactical scope in the $400ish range.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:40:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bearcat24] [#1]
Hornady 178 ELD-X or the new Federal gold match 185 jugernaut or Federals new 175 grain round they just came out with (not in stores yet). If your staying under 400 yards, a lighter bullet would work. If you considering shots up to 1000 yard, then what I suggested would be better. I reload and my savage 10T 308 shoots the 178's great. But since each rifle is different, you may need to try different brands to see what your rifle likes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:40:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zach_] [#2]
It is probably a 12" twist. My 12" twist 700 likes the 168 federal gmmk. I tried several others a few years ago and have been using the 168's from then on.
I might try some of the new ones the previous poster mentioned. I do good to 750-800. I plan on a faster twist if and when I need a new barrel. That thing just keeps shooting.

SWFA makes good scopes at the $400 price point. Side focus 12 fixed power would be my choice at that price.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:36:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Federal Gold Medal Match is the standard factory load to try in any .308, in either 168 or 175gr.  Below is the best deal, but they are currently out of stock:

FGMM 168

As far as a scope is concerned, I would try to find a used Gen 1 Vortex Viper PST (or HST with exposed turrets) in either 2.5-10 or 4-16x50.  Should be able to find a used model around $400-450, and they are fantastic scopes for the money (I have three PST's myself).  Trust me on this, you can never overspend on an optic...especially one you plan on spending any amount of time behind.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By zach_:
It is probably a 12" twist. My 12" twist 700 likes the 168 federal gmmk. I tried several others a few years ago and have been using the 168's from then on.
I might try some of the new ones the previous poster mentioned. I do good to 750-800. I plan on a faster twist if and when I need a new barrel. That thing just keeps shooting.

SWFA makes good scopes at the $400 price point. Side focus 12 fixed power would be my choice at that price.
View Quote
It's a 1 in 10 twist. I'm not familiar with the twist rates and what bullets can be stabilized like I am the AR platform.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:16:47 PM EDT
[#5]
If it's 1 in 10" twist then you are definitely good to go with some heavier projectiles. Anything in the 175gr and those 185gr bergers would do lovely at longer ranges.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top