Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2017 6:34:51 PM EDT
I found a Remington 700 Varmint Special in 22-250 at a local gun shop last week that I just put on hold to buy on Tuesday when I make it home.

Barrel code is BL85, serial # is C66*****. I believe that puts the date of manufacture at January of 1991. Overall condition I'd rate at 90% or better. There are a few dings on the stock and some minor spots of surface rust on the barrel and receiver but nothing that some clp & steel wool won't fix. Overall, bluing is dark and in good shape all around. It seems like the barrel crown tells a lot about a used rifle and this one is in pristine condition.

They priced it at $549. I wasn't sure how good of a deal it was but after a quick search on gun broker it appears that they are bringing anywhere from $700-$900. It seems that these older 700's bring a premium to later production for whatever reason.

I've been on the hunt for a good coyote rifle after parting ways with my CZ 550 and I was pretty set on a .243, but couldn't pass this deal up.

Does anybody here know anything about these rifles? I've struggled to find a lot of info. I'm really curious on what the barrel twist is?

As for the glass, I'll be putting a Leupold VX-6 3-18x44 on top. It should compliment this rifle very well. I sure hope it's a shooter.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I have vx III 6.5-20  on my coyote gettin .220 swift and sometimes the coyotes come in way close.

Too close for 6.5 really,  3 power

would be welcome for sure.

Mine is a Ruger and 1-14 twist , does well with 52 gr smk,  50gr v- max,  but It shot real well with speer 70 gr soft points amazingly. But they are a short bullet.

dont know what I did  ^
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 6:11:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FZJ80] [#2]
It will have a 1-14" twist and do fine up to 50, maybe 55 grain bullets.  

50 grain Hornady VMax should work well.  SG Ammo usually has it in stock.  

I love my .22-250 GAP rifle, almost zero recoil and with a suppressor it is like an unsuppressed .22LR shooting high velocity loads.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:32:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Those are pretty rifles.  I have one in 243 and had no idea they were bringing so much.  Last I checked they were in the 600ish range.

I think 50-55 grain is a good bullet weight for 22-250.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top