Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2017 1:19:25 AM EDT
Hello all! I currently own a Remington 700 in .308. It is the sporter barrel that sports a B&C m40 stock.

I am considering picking up a Howa 1500 barreled action in 6.5creedmoor.

My thoughts are: is the Howa 1500 in this chambering with a 24" barrel a good option for longer range hunting and shooting?

If I did build this 6.5 rifle, is it even worth keeping the 308?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 1:58:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Sell the 308, get a 6.5 Tikka CTR
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:40:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
Sell the 308, get a 6.5 Tikka CTR
View Quote
I agree. the tikka IMHO will be a better rifle. A guy i shoot with has one, and its a great shooter. Ive heard the actions are pretty good out of the box and just need barrels screwed on as you shoot em out.

Scott
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:50:03 AM EDT
[#3]
My only reservations about outright selling the 308 are 1. Ammo availability and 2. Hunting game such as bear. I would like to be able to hunt black bear or elk if the time came. I suppose the question is, would a 308 be a better choice against a bear or an elk that a 6.5?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:04:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Skylersa:
My only reservations about outright selling the 308 are 1. Ammo availability and 2. Hunting game such as bear. I would like to be able to hunt black bear or elk if the time came. I suppose the question is, would a 308 be a better choice against a bear or an elk that a 6.5?
View Quote
Either one would be on the low end for North American big and/or dangerous game.  Can it be done?  Sure, I know several guys who hunt big stuff with a .257 Weatherby, and are alive to eat the meat that they shot with it, and tell the stories about it.

Everyone needs a .308. Buy a new rifle, keep your current one.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:39:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#7]
The Howa barreled action would be a good choice if you have a particular stock or chassis in mind that you want to use.

I recently sold my 308 in an A2 stock and I kind of regret it, but I needed to free up the funds to get into a Bergara LRP.

I would also suggest looking into the Bergara HMR 6.5 Creedmoor.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 1:41:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Look around in the subforum here, I think this topic comes up almost every day.

Take a look at the Savage 10 variations sold at Cabelas and elsewhere.  They have a rebate going right now and are good shooters.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:35:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I would buy a Tikka T3X CTR with a 24' barrel in 6.5 CM and I would not look back. After already using several other brands, the Tikka is a bargain at the price point they sale for. The quality of the machining and build quality is light years ahead of competitors in the 1k and under price point.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Keep the .308 and get a Tikka 6.5.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:54:44 PM EDT
[#11]
if you otherwise like your current rifle, pick up a rem/age kit for $300 for NSS and rebarrel it yourself
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:00:27 PM EDT
[#12]
My only problem with the tikkas are the ugly stocks. Am I really losing out that much by getting a 24" Howa heavy barreled action for 450 and a B&C stock for 300 vs 1k for just the Tikka? I think I'll keep the .308. Makes me feel better if I was to shoot tougher game.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:01:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By CastorTroy:
if you otherwise like your current rifle, pick up a rem/age kit for $300 for NSS and rebarrel it yourself
View Quote
Rem/age kit? NSS? Please enlighten me as I am not fully aware of these terms.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:14:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CastorTroy] [#15]

View Quote
Rem/Age is a kit to convert a remington action over to a savage style barrel nut system, which allows you to change the barrel out on your own with only a couple of tools. 

Good video showing the installation.

Also, I agree with the Bergara posts above. If you just want a rifle that works, the HMR is a great out of the box option.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:44:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Rem/Age is a kit to convert a remington action over to a savage style barrel nut system, which allows you to change the barrel out on your own with only a couple of tools. 

Also, I agree with the Bergara posts above. If you just want a rifle that works, the HMR is a great out of the box option.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

On the subject of barrel nuts, the Bergara BMP has this set-up. I've had my BMP for about two months and it continues to impress me.
I've shot a couple of 5/8" groups at 120 yards with the American Gunner load and it really likes the Winchester deer season load.
As for 308, I still have my XM3 700 and it still lands 175 mk's in one ragged hole. If you like yours, keep it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:02:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

Here is my custom Howa 1500 HB
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 4:18:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I would also keep the 308 when you get the new creedmoor, whichever it is.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Counterpoint:

Functionally/practically there's nothing a 308 can do that a 6.5mm cannot.

I'll concede a 0.044" larger hole, better barrel life, NATO standard creating better ammo availability at Wallymart & SHTF fantasies, and the ability to use heavier bullets providing greater short-range energy to the 308.  I'll also concede that H4350 is pretty much unobtanium these days and 4451 ain't much better, while Varget, 4064 and RL15 seem to be almost everywhere.

And to some people, those are significant attributes for the "everybody should have one" column.

Me?  I've previously owned three 308s and sold each one; I recently picked up a fourth and after 20 rounds am thinking of shedding it too - for *my* uses it does nothing my 6 Dasher can't do.

YMMV, caveat emptor, etc.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:13:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Just an update. I have decided to keep my .308, and I tore down my 20" LaRue barreled ar-15. Sold all of the parts off and at lunch today, I purchased the Howa as well as the B&C Howa 1500 Varmint/Tactical stock, Talley Base, and Burris Signature rings. Total is 820ish with a 25 Transfer my way.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#21]
good choice sir. Let me know how she does.
I have to take mine up above there, out this weekend and see how she does. I got the Boyds Tacticool Stock and painted it. I think I need to sand down a bit around the barrel to make sure it is not touching the barrel.
Other than I have a very similar build as you. Got Burris Tactical Rings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top