Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2017 11:10:18 PM EDT
So for some reason I was under the impression that the T3X ctr was a 1:10 twist rate but I'm seeing that it is actually a 1:11 (20"). I'm looking for the most accurate factory ammo for it as I won't be reloading in the foreseeable future. Does anyone have a favorite that they find to be most accurate? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 11:35:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner] [#1]
Every rifle is different, but here are 4 test targets I shot while trying to determine the same thing for my .308 Tikka CTR (in the first picture...from left to right (the targets are labeled but kind of hard to read): 168gr Federal Gold Medal Match, 175gr Black Hills Match, and 175gr Federal Gold Medal Match).  

All three main groups were 6 shots (even though on the middle target those 6 shots kind of formed two small groups), and the last target on the right also contains a 3 shot group which was done after my testing to zero the rifle with the load I was going to use...I chose the Black Hills 175gr.

In the second picture is the target from the Hornady 168gr BTHP.

Summary:
175gr Black Hills: 0.75"
175gr FGMM: 0.87"
168gr Hornady: 0.88"
168gr FGMM: 1.25"
Sako 150gr SP: 1.30"

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 11:42:49 PM EDT
[#2]
NewBMowner, have you tried any of the lighter loads around 150 grain? I had read somewhere that they performed better than expected (I realize quality varies greatly in that range but all things being equal, I am referring to the grain weight).
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 11:45:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner] [#3]
The only lighter stuff I have tried is some Sako 150gr SP (hunting ammo)
Here is the result on that one:
Attachment Attached File

Also, here is another group from the 175gr Black Hills ammo that I ended up sticking with (mine loves this stuff!):
Attachment Attached File

The choice for me to go with the Black Hills was pretty easy...although both of the FGMM loads were very close.  One thing to consider is that you can often find the FGMM ammo on sale for $20/box...instead of the ~$33/box for the Black Hills.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By linsmea:
NewBMowner, have you tried any of the lighter loads around 150 grain? I had read somewhere that they performed better than expected (I realize quality varies greatly in that range but all things being equal, I am referring to the grain weight).
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:28:48 PM EDT
[#4]
A lot of people are liking the stuff from Prime.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I started shooting my CTR with Hornady ELD-X with .5-.75" results.  Then I ordered a case of prime ammo and have been consistently getting .5" 5-shot groups.  Went prairie dog hunting at 470 yards with it in 15-20mph full value winds and had good results.  I don't have any proof on me right now so you'll just have to take my word for it, but Prime and Hornady have both done exceptionally well for me by my standards.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in the same boat and don't reload. I'm at a point in my life where I have more money that time. If I reloaded, it would mean less time shooting.

I don't one a Tikka, but I've tested just about everything out there. For 300 yards and in, 168s are typically more accurate. Beyond 300, my rifles have always preferred 175s. Black Hills was decent, but FGMM was better IME.

Federal (FGMM) 168
Federal (FGMM) 175
Lapua Scenar 155 (yes, they offer in factory load 50 rd boxes)
Copper Creek 168
Copper Creek 175
Prime 175
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Gmm is consistent and priced right. If you plan to reload, consider creedmoor ammo as it's loaded in lapua brass.

I "feel" like my tikka shoots better clean. I'm waiting until I have a solid handload to see if it's just superstition or real.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:46:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner] [#8]
I have not tried the Prime yet.  I keep hearing good things though, I guess I need to order some now :)  Seems like it is about the same price as the Black Hills.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By newBMowner:
Every rifle is different
View Quote
This is the thing with factory ammo - you really don't know until you test it in your rifle.

Plenty of factory ammo is "consistent" enough to be accurate, but the question is whether or not it hits an accuracy "node" in your gun. Small dimensional differences in bores and chambers (and thus pressure/velocity) affect this, which is why it's not guaranteed that otherwise identical models will shoot the same ammo well.

Also, you will want to test in "final" configuration (with whatever brake or suppressor you are going to use), since that affects the harmonics.

As an example, I tried several factory loads in an RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor, and it turned out that 120gr Amax and then 143gr ELD-X both shot the best. Until I put the suppressor on, and suddenly the Prime 130gr took the top spot. Without the suppressor, the Prime shoots around 1 MOA. With the can, less than 0.5 MOA. It's not the fault of the ammo.

My R700 with a high-end barrel shoots the same Prime 130gr at just under 1 MOA no matter what's hanging off the end, but the Hornady is better. Again, not the fault of the ammo (but I want to play with length now....).
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ScottyS:

This is the thing with factory ammo - you really don't know until you test it in your rifle.

Plenty of factory ammo is "consistent" enough to be accurate, but the question is whether or not it hits an accuracy "node" in your gun. Small dimensional differences in bores and chambers (and thus pressure/velocity) affect this, which is why it's not guaranteed that otherwise identical models will shoot the same ammo well.

Also, you will want to test in "final" configuration (with whatever brake or suppressor you are going to use), since that affects the harmonics.

As an example, I tried several factory loads in an RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor, and it turned out that 120gr Amax and then 143gr ELD-X both shot the best. Until I put the suppressor on, and suddenly the Prime 130gr took the top spot. Without the suppressor, the Prime shoots around 1 MOA. With the can, less than 0.5 MOA. It's not the fault of the ammo.

My R700 with a high-end barrel shoots the same Prime 130gr at just under 1 MOA no matter what's hanging off the end, but the Hornady is better. Again, not the fault of the ammo (but I want to play with length now....).
View Quote
...this right here ^
excellent summary
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top